Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 2 weeks, 6 days ago #16

Platinum Boarder
<p>You can also see I already drilled a small hole. Whenever you try something similar, it is tempting to drill from the inside out, but NEVER do that: ALWAYS drill at the exact spot, as then you know at elast it is the exact spot. The other way you are never sure, and even when you are a milimeter off centre, it will show!</p>
<p>Let me now carry on with the trailer. I took the smallest 'eye' I had, but it was still too big. I dremeled a small part of the eye-end off, and with pliers bent the eye to close again.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 2 weeks, 6 days ago #17

Platinum Boarder
<p>The trailer was sandblasted, primed, and sprayed in blue. A very small hole drilled in the front, so the eye fitted.</p>
<p>The wheels on this trailer are orignally very small, smaller than the wheels of a Mini. I wanted them bigger, but the common Corgi size did not fit in the wheel arches, so I choose in an in-between size with semi-spokes. I cut an axle in two, and glued both parts in a plastic tube.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 6 days ago by Keesie.

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 2 weeks, 6 days ago #18

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Andy and Theo. Theo, it might be a clue with the captains, but in the end.....I decided not to use him, which will follow later. I wanted to fit TWO engines, but there was only room for one.....The paint was bought at 'The Snuffelaar' in Purmerend, but do not go there......I want to buy the other colours too.......
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 2 weeks, 6 days ago #19

Platinum Boarder
<p>....and the part on the bonnet of the Jaguar is one of the outside mirrors. Now THAT is a clue!</p>

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 2 weeks, 6 days ago #20

Platinum Boarder
<p>So, I placed lights, beacon, horns and antenna and engine. I decided to take the E-type glazing off because it was just too high up, and placed the orginal back. Luckily the base of both and the place where it was glued on were exactly the same.</p>
<p>
photo upload sites</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 2 weeks, 6 days ago #21

Platinum Boarder
<p>You can see parts on the trailer which hold the boat in place, but they are worn out. I decided to screw the boat on the trailer, which I do mostly anyway with my boat-projects.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>And then I was thinking to add some people to the boat...........but I did not.</p>

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 2 weeks, 6 days ago #22

Platinum Boarder
A great transformation & re use of parts, that small scale Chequer plate looks the part not seen this in small scale before.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 2 weeks, 5 days ago #23

Superb work work Kees. I like the idea with the axles and the tube too, I would have never thought of that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 2 weeks, 5 days ago #24

Platinum Boarder
<p>Thanks guys. The tube is hard plastic, and filed to size, so it fits exactly in the frame of the trailer.</p>

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 2 weeks, 5 days ago #25

Platinum Boarder
Quite the project you have there. Good use of parts as Andy says and I also like that midnight blue metallic you chose. IT is one of my favorite colors but don't get to use it much. I have seen the checker plate decking plate before. You may remember oldtruck 56, Rob Lowe, he did trucks in miniature. Semi trucks and the like. I saw him use it on an number of trucks as the head board where the truckers hang their chains and clamps for tying down their loads. It looks good in this boat and is a very good idea.
Are you making a box for this one too?

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 2 weeks, 5 days ago #26

Platinum Boarder
<p>I don't remember Rob. I just had a small part of the checker plate, so I was lucky.</p>
<p>Been thinking about a box for the Jag and boat, but usuallly I do that in winter time.</p>

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 2 weeks, 3 days ago #27

Platinum Boarder
Nice to see that you have been working on a plastic item not just a metal one kees and shows good use of your skills here.

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 2 weeks, 3 days ago #28

Platinum Boarder
As the resident 1:43 geek I know about the jag in that Chinese brand is probably of a New Ray example or similar used to have a fair few of these as model 'kits' a number of years back which I sadly regret selling them all now there was a Jag In Green and a Maroon example like the one I had and built sold by British store Marks and Spencer's at one time.

Other example included a red Mercedes SL , White Alfa Romeo Spider, silver Mercedes racer, an mgf and the Wedgewood blue MGA I really do miss now.

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 2 weeks, 3 days ago #29

Platinum Boarder
Nice project on the Corgi boat but guessing Kees is making something a bit more special because of his earlier intention of wanting to have two engines plus the additional parts he has used so far so this will be interesting to see how it looks when finished.

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 1 week, 2 days ago #30

Platinum Boarder
Great creativity Keesie. The hook for a new tow ring and the use of the Jag's windscreen and the rear axles.
Plus you've showed off how well you work with plastic and marine!
And we just thought you were limited to diecast cars/trucks. Hahhaha