Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser

Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 6 months, 2 weeks ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>I made the Corgi Riviera Giftset nr 31 a long time ago. This set has the Buick Riviera nr 245, a Dolphin cruiser nr 104 on trailer, and the figures of a captain and surfer on board.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>As you might have figured, the car and boat were sold separately as well.</p>
Last Edit: 6 months, 2 weeks ago by Keesie.

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 6 months, 2 weeks ago #2

Platinum Boarder
<p>Besides the set, I bought the second boat separately, later found the extra trailer, and the captain. So, when you look at the picture, you can see THREE captains. As we have a saying: there can't be TWO captains on the same ship, I had an idea of changing that.</p>
<p>The third boat was bought in pieces for 1 pound, in Sandown, and had been on my work bench for THREE years. No trailer, no captain.</p>
<p>Here a picture of the boat in pieces, and an intact trailer from the previous picture.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 6 months, 2 weeks ago #3

Platinum Boarder
<p>What to do? I had no intention to do tha boat as a sort of original, because I have two already. And what about the trailer, which is in original state? I was seriously thinking about offering it and sort of adjusting it to the boat I wanted to do.</p>
<p>Would you believe I opened just ONE drawer, to see if I could find something, and ther it was: an old Riviera trailer!!!!!! Here it is, everyone would throw it away. Next to an intact one.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 6 months, 2 weeks ago #4

Platinum Boarder
These sets are why Corgi Toy's are sort after, they are pieces of art in themselves, I have an original set & a set I restored sometime back.
Be nice to see your boat all "ship shape" again.

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 6 months, 2 weeks ago #5

Platinum Boarder
<p>Let me carry on with that trailer later. I always try to think waht comes first in a set. In this case doing the trailer would be easier than the boat. Doing the trailer and failing eith the boat would mean work for nothing, so......the boat first.</p>
<p>The deck was broken in two, so first I made it glued the parts, making it stronger underneath with a piece of curtain blind.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 6 months, 2 weeks ago #6

Platinum Boarder
<p>There are basicly three plastic parts. All three are here in primer.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 6 months, 2 weeks ago #7

Platinum Boarder
<p>Come to think of it, it is meant to be a resto, but......it is plastic, and a boat, so not diecast, and not a car either, so I hope it is allowed on the forum......let's see......</p>
<p>I then went to the discountshop I told you about before, and decided to get two cans of a very nice blue. The cans  were 1.90 each, and it was a sort of a gamble, as I did not know the name on the label: Miocolour. Also something inside told me this was not meant for car modeling, but it said something in French about 'metal'.  Anyway, I bought them, because the colour was so nice, and it has  silver flakes it ......as I saw on the lid. Sometimes the paint is a dissappointment comparing it to the lid though........</p>
<p>
exercise to reduce breast size at home</p>

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 6 months, 2 weeks ago #8

Platinum Boarder
<p>I decided to gather some parts first that I intended to use. Found this E-type, and although intact, it had a 1 pound sticker on the base, which I did not even pay, as I have no idea how I got it.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 6 months, 2 weeks ago #9

Platinum Boarder
<p>And these parts.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Note there are two ship-outboard motors there. Originally the boat has a motor, but it was missing. Again, no idea where these two came from. One of the front glazings is from the Jag, the other one from the boat itself.</p>

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 6 months, 2 weeks ago #10

Platinum Boarder
<p>I was very satisfied with the colour, and the lid of the can shows the exact colour. I tried the Jag front glazing on the boat, and at first instant I was satisfied, so I glued it on.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 6 months, 2 weeks ago #11

Platinum Boarder
<p>In one of the previous pictures you see a silver sort of plate. It is a part which is used to stand on with trucks and such, or industrial parts to make steps. It has a very nice profile, and in some bags with a lot of spare parts I bought once, mainly leftovers from trucks, but now very handy. It is plastic sprayed silver, and I could bend it slightly.</p>
<p>As I did not have that much of this material, I had to be very 'economical' and not waste anything.</p>
<p>In the picture below one side had to have an outward bend, the other side inward.</p>
<p>
</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 6 months, 2 weeks ago #12

Another ambitious project on your bench Kees. The blue metallic color looks good on the hull. You gave a bit of a clue with these captains, is it possible each operated one outboard engine? Did you buy the paint at Action? I have not seen that brand there to be honest. And what parts lies on the bonnet of the Chinese Made Jag?

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 6 months, 2 weeks ago #13

Platinum Boarder
<p>When I was satisfied with the fitting I glued it on.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Therefore I had to scrape away the paint.........</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 6 months, 2 weeks ago #14

Platinum Boarder
<p>Two very small parts had to become equal, which was quite hard!</p>
<p>
image sharing sites</p>
<p>And small bits dremeled of another part.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

Re: Corgi nr 104 Dolphin Cruiser 6 months, 2 weeks ago #15

Platinum Boarder
<p>These parts are hard to picture on their own, because they are so small and I had to be very close with the camera, and of course the reflection of the flash, but here the result so far.</p>
<p>
</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, RoutemasterNL