Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps

Re: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps 3 weeks, 5 days ago #16

And the worst thing to do will be the photo etched parts on the hood and also the windscreen wipers.

Re: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps 3 weeks, 5 days ago #17

Platinum Boarder
It is coming along nicely and for a small car there is a lot of work. I am sure the final results will be all worth it as it looks like a great car.
Nice paint job on the body and it really suits the car. I can see why the original owner of the original car chose it. Great color.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps 3 weeks, 5 days ago #18

Yes Jim, there are easy jobs and hard jobs on building this kit. The hardest job was thinking about all the steps to take. I wrote about that in an earlier post. But I agree it is coming along nicely. I have painted the hubs in this blue color too. No photo yet

Re: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps 3 weeks, 5 days ago #19

Platinum Boarder
That will look good on this Jag. Great work so far.

Re: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps 3 weeks, 5 days ago #20

Platinum Boarder
<p>Nice work so far Theo, and the model seems very detailed. By now you and I realize that building a kit cannot be compared to our 'usual stuff'. Good idea to drill through the hole and use glue from the inside. Knowing you, you will not ruin the car with drilling and gluing!</p>

Re: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps 2 weeks ago #21

Well I dropped one of the very small headlights, so I decided to paint them instead.

Re: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps 1 week, 6 days ago #22

Platinum Boarder
That is a shame. Is it plastic or metal? If metal a magnet might find it. You could put jewels in the holes too.

Re: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps 1 week, 6 days ago #23

they are copper, so a magnet won't work. The holes are tiny, less than 1 mm in diameter. I have to find that small jewels.

Re: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps 1 week, 6 days ago #24

Another issue I had was the window. The plastic window had to be cut out of the supplied unit. Because of the age of the kit, the window unit had gone yellowish already and when I tried to cut it into the correct shape, it split and couldn't be used anymore. Luckily enough I bought a floor wipe kit, which had all the parts in this plastic vacuum formed container. Enough curves to finding the right one

Re: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps 1 week, 5 days ago #25

Platinum Boarder
Hey, if it works, go for it. Shame about the yellowed plastic but it is probably for the best as it was so brittle. Besides, the model would not look as nice with a yellowed plastic screen. This will be a much better alternative.

Re: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps 1 week, 5 days ago #26

Platinum Boarder
The owner will appreciate any amount of modern adaptation to such an old kit and will add to the story of this model's build in years to come.

Re: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps 1 week, 5 days ago #27

Platinum Boarder
Specially if Theo does what I used to do. I would copy the photos I had of the build and put them on CD ($1.00 ea) and send that along with the toys or toys when done. I used to by CD's by the 100 stack.

Re: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps 1 week, 5 days ago #28

Platinum Boarder
Yes, create a little build log, a record of how the model was built with the modelling methods and adaptations Theo used and the date this all took place.
  • Page: