Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps

Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps 1 month ago #1

<p>On my bench now is this rare kit, made by Minichamps. The customer want it in blue, he has even supplied photographs. There are a few photo etched parts, which are a challenge</p>
<p>
directions to cheap gas</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>

Re: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps 1 month ago #2

Platinum Boarder
It will be interesting to watch this come together.

Re: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps 1 month ago #3

Platinum Boarder
<p>So you are into plastic kits now Theo......I see it even has a spray can!</p>
<p>Today I will take the Toyota Hilux to the customer. A nice ride it will be, one hour, nice weather!</p>

Re: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps 1 month ago #4

Platinum Boarder
I thought it was a die cast kit. Looks like it anyway.

Re: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps 1 month ago #5

<p>Keesie wrote:
</p>
<p>So you are into plastic kits now Theo......I see it even has a spray can!</p>
<p>Today I will take the Toyota Hilux to the customer. A nice ride it will be, one hour, nice weather!</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Kees, it is a diecast/white metal kit. The spray can you refer to, is in fact a color brush by Motip. The customer sent it to me because he wanted me to use that, ....... but than a shade lighter. Luckily I have this clolor in a spray can, it is in fact just a tad lighter shade. So that saves me 25 euros making the spray can</p>

Re: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps 1 month ago #6

This kit building requires a completely different approach. I have to think first, which is not new to me, but a challenge it is. I have primed and hand painted the interior first, that has dried so now I can start assembling the interior. Here are the interior parts in the primer

Re: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps 1 month ago #7

Here are the interior parts in the final colors. The customer wanted a blue carpet, why not

pic uploader

Re: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps 1 month ago #8

and the interior assembled and glued together.

Re: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps 1 month ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Seems to be a pretty good kit. The dash is nice in Brown wood color, suits the car. Nice detail work including the door hardware. Steady hand for that work.

Re: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps 1 month ago #10

thanks Jim, the kit is made by Minichamps, a renowned model car brand.

I tried the spray can, but there was so little pressure in it left, can't use it. Need to order a new spray can with the right color.. Ouch.

Re: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps 1 month ago #11

Platinum Boarder
again another interesting kit which I look forwards to seeing finished.

Re: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps 1 month ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Too bad about the paint Theo. I guess you can't do it in another color so your stuck. Start thinking of the cars or trucks you can do in this color as it is really a nice shade of blue.

Re: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps 3 weeks, 5 days ago #13

As the weather turns out great, it is time to sit inside the house and give you an update on the progress. I had the paint ordered and put a coat on. It covered well enough to leave it that way. Time to glue in the parts. A few of them are chrome plated metal parts (the bumpers and grille). The door handles, trunk handle, tail lights and antenna are plastic and chrome plated. The trick in gluing them is to use Tamiya tape to hold it in place and a tiny drop of Superglue is applied from the inside, so it won't run onto the paint and smudge

Re: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps 3 weeks, 5 days ago #14

What I forgot to mention: If you look at the photo whit the primer on, you might notice there are few holes in the casting. These holes were there factory made. But the trick is to drill them all the way through the casting, in order to be able to mounting the door-handles, bumpers etc. etc.

Re: Jaguar XK150 kit by Minichamps 3 weeks, 5 days ago #15

<p>The next challenge is gluing in the light, these are not the headlights, but other ones, on the nose of the car. They are appr. 1 and 1,5mm in diameter. An than there is also the antenna: I have to drill a 1mm hole in the left hand side fender in order to glue it in. That worries me the most. If I let the drill slip, the car is ruined.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>
</p>
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 5 days ago by RoutemasterNL.
  • Page: