Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Corgi Toys nr 462, HAMMONDS

Corgi Toys nr 462, HAMMONDS 1 month ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>The Hammond version was never sold in the shops. First I took a picture from the net, and made a box.</p>
<p>
</p>
Last Edit: 1 month ago by Keesie.

Re: Corgi Toys nr 462, HAMMOND 1 month ago #2

Platinum Boarder
<p>The model nr 462 was used for the white Commer with light blue rear, also part of the COOP set. Several models were hen called nr 462, like a plain gray one, and a Hammonds one. Neither of them came with a box or in a plain one and both were never sold in the shops.</p>
<p>After I sprayed the model in blue first, I added this guy, without flag and legs. The Hammonds version came with a light greenish roof. I came to the conclusion I did not like that colour, and also I found a nicer lettertype, so here the result.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>

Re: Corgi Toys nr 462, HAMMOND 1 month ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Interesting story and nice job on the van. Up to your usual standards.

Re: Corgi Toys nr 462, HAMMOND 1 month ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Good that you managed to make a box as it never had a box.

Was the model incomplete then you received it or did you added the window/interior etc or just taken apart.

Re: Corgi Toys nr 462, HAMMOND 1 month ago #5

That is a one off, very nice looking. Is it Hammond from the organs?

Re: Corgi Toys nr 462, HAMMOND 1 month ago #6

Platinum Boarder
<p>I have no idea if 'Hammonds' is from the organs, have to look that up. No idea if the model was complete or not, I just had a box full of cars, which upper shells are all the same, in various colours, and a lot of rear parts. Most of them are interchangable.</p>
<p>Forgot the driver.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Corgi Toys nr 462, HAMMONDS 1 month ago #7

Platinum Boarder
<p>The promotional van was made for Hammonds of Hull, a department store. So no organ involved.</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Corgi Toys nr 462, HAMMONDS 1 month ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Very nice work Keesie, these Hammond vans demand a high value for an original so making one yourself has saved you money & you have the enjoyment & pleasure in doing so.

Re: Corgi Toys nr 462, HAMMONDS 1 month ago #9

Platinum Boarder
<p>Thanks Andy, mind you, I would never pay a lot for an original. I wonder why they did the roof like that in the original.</p>
Last Edit: 1 month ago by Keesie.

Re: Corgi Toys nr 462, HAMMONDS 1 month ago #10

Platinum Boarder
It may have been the stores colours, there are only black & white pictures of the actual store etc on google so it would be hard to say

Re: Corgi Toys nr 462, HAMMONDS 1 month ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Kees, if your wondering about the 2 domes on the roof then they could be air vents. Lots of vans here have them on the roof.

Re: Corgi Toys nr 462, HAMMONDS 1 month ago #12

Platinum Boarder
<p>Thanks Jim, but before we mix things up: I wondered why the roof looked like that on the original, meaning: Corgi sprayed the van dark blue, and roof light green, and not even a nice sort of green. So with 'original' I did not mean the real car (if it ever existed), but the model made by Corgi.</p>

Re: Corgi Toys nr 462, HAMMONDS 1 month ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Ah, I got it.
Maybe, as these are toys for kids at the time they were produced, the designer at Corgi thought an all dark blue van was too close in color and looks for a Hammond Van. With the Blue paint job it looks like a police van. The light green roof sets it a part from all the others.
Just guessing of course but seem possible and maybe even probable.
  • Page: