Back on the forum and Toyota Hilux
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Back on the forum and Toyota Hilux

Back on the forum and Toyota Hilux 1 month, 2 weeks ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>Well, I looked it up, I was on the forum for the last time over a month ago, not even to place a resto.</p>
<p>A lot has been said about the world situation, so I will just mention my own. Coming into spring time there is no sports, no other local community things like repair cafe, alarm systems for the elderly and my work for the historic movement, not even visits to relatives and friends. Strange, I thought I then would have more time to do some restos........not really.</p>
<p>I spent a lot of time in the garden, put in a lot of new soil, layed and relayed paths, cut and planted and cleaned the outside of the house. And then there was also this new car, bought a week or two before the crisis started......</p>
Last Edit: 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Keesie.

Re: Back on the forum and Toyota Hilux 1 month, 2 weeks ago #2

Platinum Boarder
<p>So, normally I would show a new car to my relatives and friends, but only went to a few before early March. Made a few rides, going nowhere and this car GOES. It goes like hell!</p>
<p>Besides driving, the car takes a lot of time to study. There is a big book, the Owners Manual with it, about 500 pages, which I went through. Then there were minor things I wanted ot change or add, which is all done now. Al these things were discussed on the car forum I am a member of.  There were times I read in the Owners Manual that you can do this or that, and I then tried it out. To mention just one: when you have the keyless entry device with you, the mirrors unfold and project a Mustang on the street next to the doors.......</p>
<p>And then, the last time the Houten toyfair was held, was in February.</p>

Re: Back on the forum and Toyota Hilux 1 month, 2 weeks ago #3

Platinum Boarder
<p>For the first time ever, the toyfair in April, last week, was cancelled. Again strange, but this gave me more time to finish a project.......</p>
<p>A customer I did some work for in the past (the ABC Brianza) asked me if I could build him a model which he owned as a real car in the past. We all build those Airfix planes and such when we were young, and it is a completely different field than restoring metal toys. I remember I liked to do them, but when they were finished they were just gathering dust, and rapidly fell apart again. So I am not so keen on doing one now. Still, the guy had a kit model of a Toyota Hilux which he managed to buy at the fair. He also bought it because he could never find one as a metal model.</p>

Re: Back on the forum and Toyota Hilux 1 month, 2 weeks ago #4

Platinum Boarder
<p>I did not have a clue what a Hilux was......anyway, I accepted the model, and after all the work I mentioned I finally opened the box. As I said, it a plastic kit, so no metal, but I am sure I can place it here.....l</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

Re: Back on the forum and Toyota Hilux 1 month, 2 weeks ago #5

Platinum Boarder
<p>The customer wanted the model in silver, so the first question was: build some parts together and spray, or spray the parts seperately? I decided for option two. This is all tricky, because what could I do when paint came off.......</p>
<p>There is plastic glue for these kits available, and as it did not come with the kit, I bought some. I remember the plastic glue used in the past looses it's strength in a few years, so I decided on......Bison kit. I mentioned this kit before in the past, and it holds together anything, even metal parts. The negative is that is VERY agressive, especially on paint.......</p>
<p> </p>

Re: Back on the forum and Toyota Hilux 1 month, 2 weeks ago #6

Platinum Boarder
welcome back Keesie , it's good that you are back on here, I look forwards to seeing this kit made.

Re: Back on the forum and Toyota Hilux 1 month, 2 weeks ago #7

Platinum Boarder
<p>So, the outside of the model was white, the interior mostly gray and the bottom parts were black.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>

Re: Back on the forum and Toyota Hilux 1 month, 2 weeks ago #8

Platinum Boarder
<p>There were also several 'options', like chrome and white wheels. The customer wanted antracite/dark grey wheels, so I used the white ones for that. If I failed I could then use the chrome wheels.</p>
<p>
image posting sites</p>

Re: Back on the forum and Toyota Hilux 1 month, 2 weeks ago #9

Platinum Boarder
<p>I started on the chassis. I have to say the kit looked very proffesional, and no doubt a lot of time went into developing this. But (I think some of you might remeber this also from the past) there are always things made wrong or non-fittting correctly. Also, there are always parts left-over, and they are really not mentioned in the construction-paper leaflet.</p>
<p>Here the more or less complete chassis.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Back on the forum and Toyota Hilux 1 month, 2 weeks ago #10

Platinum Boarder
<p>The texts on the leaflet are in Japanese and in English. Sometimes details are not really well explained, and I think the translator thought: let them find out themselves how to do it........</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
shady sands</p>

Re: Back on the forum and Toyota Hilux 1 month, 2 weeks ago #11

Platinum Boarder
<p>So, when I decided to spray the outisde parts before assembling, I again had the choice:</p>
<p>Leave all the parts on the sprues (or trees?) and spray in one go, or spray them all seperately. I decided for option one: leave everything on, and spray on one go. Primer, and then silver. The advantage is that you use less paint, and it is quicker. The disavantage is that taking the parts of the sprue after spraying, there is always a part not sprayed.....</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Back on the forum and Toyota Hilux 1 month, 2 weeks ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Are you using acrylic spray?

Re: Back on the forum and Toyota Hilux 1 month, 2 weeks ago #13

Platinum Boarder
<p>
tiny image host</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Back on the forum and Toyota Hilux 1 month, 2 weeks ago #14

Platinum Boarder
<p>Thanks Andy....no idea, I just gambled......looked it up, yes acrylic, 2 euros a bottle.</p>

Re: Back on the forum and Toyota Hilux 1 month, 2 weeks ago #15

Platinum Boarder
<p>
</p>
<p>
post image url</p>
<p>The rear lid opens. Big problem: first the cabin had to be placed on the chassis, done. Then the rear part had to fit on.......no way. It just would not stay in the position it had to be. I decided to do this: as you can see I drilled two holes in the front, and placed screws.</p>
<p>
</p>