Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 10 months, 3 weeks ago #31

Platinum Boarder
I have re painted the hubs the correct color. When I did this car originally I could not find any pictures of the rear of the car in Blue over Blue only Cream over white. I decided to paint the tail lights red but I see now that as I don't have a painted silver license plate I am still a little off. Here are the pictures now with the hubs in Lt Grey or what I have is Slate Grey.

The following user(s) said Thank You: janwerner

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 10 months, 3 weeks ago #32

Did you paint them with a brush? They do look very good!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 10 months, 3 weeks ago #33

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Theo. Yes, by brush with 2 coats of paint. I took the car apart and took the hubs off the axles. That took about 5 minutes or so. Paint took a day to do and dry. Another 10 minutes to assemble and new hub color as Jan suggested.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL, lark6

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 10 months ago #34

Platinum Boarder
Update, the Hillman and the Zephyr are still waiting for an order from SF. England is still shut down due to the virus. I ordered tires, which I need for these two, and a couple other toys I have finished but can't complete until I have the tires. I do have tires on the way from Modelcarparts in the Netherlands. They should be here first but still slow. I got decals for the Commer Wrecker 25x/430 but they are awfully thin and hard to work with. I will try again tomorrow. Now I am on a Rolls Royce Silver Cloud. Number 6 in my two-tone series. I am going with a suggestion from Theo. Should look good. I think the next project will be the 20 ton Lorry mounted Coles Crane Truck. I have two so I will restore the poorer of them. Stay tuned, updates coming again soon, I hope.
Stay Safe all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 10 months ago #35

Platinum Boarder
Update 2 for tonight.
Here are some of the sneak peaks at the projects at hand.
25x/430 Commer Wrecker, 193 Rambler Cross country, 150 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith, 2 25a Wagons waiting for decals and the 972 Coles Crane waiting in the wings.

Good night all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL, Andy66

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 9 months, 2 weeks ago #36

Platinum Boarder
I have the Commer Wrecker finished and have shown that. I am getting close on the Rambler Cross Country. The Rolls Royce is coming along but slowly. The Coles Crane is back on the shelf for another year. The 2 25 series trucks are finished off with the decals I got for them. Here is the Hornby Trains Covered truck

The Blue version is also finished off with its decals.

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 9 months, 2 weeks ago #37

Platinum Boarder
Seems to be a mark under the decal on this side under the xp in Express.

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 9 months, 2 weeks ago #38

Platinum Boarder
Now back to the topic that was started, Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration #2
This is how it arrived.

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 9 months, 2 weeks ago #39

Platinum Boarder
I think I can do better with Other colors although I like the green.
Now to take it apart.

And then strip it.

Then Blast it for a nice finish to paint on. I even did the hubs this time.

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 9 months, 2 weeks ago #40

Platinum Boarder
In the last photo above, note the build up in the casting at the rear. That is due to the dip in the trunk to the Fender so there is enough material under it.
Now for the primer.

Then the first coat of Pale Cream for the top half. First coat.

Then the second coat.

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 9 months, 2 weeks ago #41

Platinum Boarder
Now masking. Details first.

Then the rest of the top so I can spray the bottom half.

Turned out not bad. A little touch up is necessary.

Then some silver details.

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 9 months, 2 weeks ago #42

Platinum Boarder
I finished up the detail touch ups after seeing these photos, as you can guess.
Here is the final car.

I have noticed a blemish on the drivers door and have attempted a touch up but not so good. I may just sand that side and then mask it off and repaint it.
Hope you enjoyed.

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 9 months, 2 weeks ago #43

Fantastic Jim, Are the rivets Rob's?

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 9 months, 2 weeks ago #44

Platinum Boarder
I buy Steve Flowers Rivets and I think Rob does to. When I went to visit Keesie and you and your wife back in 2016 I later went to see Steve's operation. Got to see his garage where everything comes together. We did not go to his shop where he makes everything. He old me that Rob buys an awful lot of his parts form Steve. Every month, very large orders unlike me every month with what would seem to him small. Not to be when I buy hundreds of pounds worth every month.
No, these are SF rivets and I am very happy with them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL