Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 1 year ago #16

Platinum Boarder
All finished. Here she is ready to go onto the Pullmore transporter 2

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 1 year ago #17

Platinum Boarder
The chrome sure seems shiny to me.

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 1 year ago #18

Very nice indeed, the chrome shines, that is for sure. Is your transporter full?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 1 year ago #19

Platinum Boarder
I have two transporters full of two tone cars. One is based on what was originally sold. Cars with correct colors. The second one is similar but with some of the same cars in different colors and a couple of XK120 Jags, one two tone and one solid red. This Zephyr is replacing the red Jag. I still have one more to find and and do as I don't want the Jag on the carrier at all. Maybe another early Hillman Minx. I am looking
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 11 months, 4 weeks ago #20

Platinum Boarder
Neat job around the front wing I can see what looks like a groove has shaped out well, any luck finding the last car?

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 11 months, 3 weeks ago #21

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Ashley, the front fenders with the raised piece (maybe is should be chrome?) was a bit hard to mask properly but I got it all done after a bit of touch ups.
For the last car I am not sure what I want. I had bought 2 cars from England last month but when I asked the seller where they were he gave me a refund so I guess they are not coming after all. I am still looking for a final replacement for a two tone Jag XK120. It comes slowly being here in western Canada. Shipping is the killer. I paid about £13.00 for shipping on the two cars I had bought so just took it as being shipped by air. When I asked the seller about it a couple weeks later when they should have been here he told me he put the wrong description for shipping in and that they went by Ground. Lovely, I though. I sure hoped they get here but they did not. Maybe they will show up and I will send the refund back to Thames Trader in the UK.

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 11 months, 3 weeks ago #22

Platinum Boarder
I bet shipping is the thing here, although £13.00 isn't too bad the current economic situation may be the issue here as there is much less traffic with less planes and hardly any oil being used at all, there may also be a shortage of workers to get the parcel's out to you, but at least you managed to received a refund that is good news, and like you says who knows whether it will eventually arrive unexpected delivery maybe.

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 11 months, 3 weeks ago #23

Platinum Boarder
Well, that has happened to me before. A number of years ago I was sent a package from South Africa by surface mail. That was the only way he could get insurance on the package as via Air Mail as like over $100 to insure a small package worth about $30. It took 56 Days to arrive here. He had refunded me about 45 days in when I asked if he knew where is was as he was tracking it. He said it landed in the USA and he lost it from there. When it arrived I re sent him the money for the toy and he was delighted. I have not bought anything else from South Africa and I don't ship there due to lost mail also from me to there.
Strange as it may seem South Africa and also Brazil customers told me to package up the parts or toys as normal and them open them up so you would notice that and then tape it back together so it looked like it had already had what ever was inside stolen. I tried that once and it did not work so never again.
I am hoping the Austin London Taxi 40H and the Dinky Toys Bedford Van 482 do show as they were a good price from England and in good to restore condition just like I want.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 3 months ago #24

Platinum Boarder
To carry this on the Taxi and Bedford van did arrive after some time. The Taxi you have seen here. www.planetdiecast.com/index.php?option=c...amp;Itemid=2455#page
The Bedford Van will be started after a couple of other projects. Two or more waiting for tires to complete and 2 more I have just started, the Ramblers. They will be up shortly.
In the mean time I have almost completed another 162 Ford Zephyr.

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 3 months ago #25

Platinum Boarder
<p>Sneek peek at the car as I received it and also the Hillman Minx #154
</p>
Last Edit: 3 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 3 months ago #26

Platinum Boarder
You will like the changes as both are for Car Transporter sets.

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 3 months ago #27

They both did not leave the factory in this state Can't wait seeing what you are going to make of it.

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 3 months ago #28

Platinum Boarder
They are both pretty much complete now but I am waiting on an order of tires from Rob.

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 3 months ago #29

Platinum Boarder
Hi Jim, sorry to comment after such a long time, coming back to your blue/light blue Ford Zephyr restoration. It looks great and professionally done indeed!
I don't know if you intended a 100% copy or not. If you did, the hubs should have been painted in light grey, which was the common colour, not a shade of blue.
The rear is confusing. I have an example with both the red lights done and the silver painted registration plate, whereas another example lacks these details completely.
I hope these observations may be of use to you! Kind regards, Jan

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky 162 Ford Zephyr Restoration 3 months ago #30

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for your comments Jan, they are always welcome.
The Ford Zephyr your referring to was completed over 9 months ago. I will have to take it out of the Pullmore Car Carrier and take it apart to paint the hubs again the correct color.
The second one I am working on now and have just doe the license plate in Silver as you show and will do the tail lights when I get to them. The hubs on this one are already light grey.
If you have Jacques Dinky Encyclopedia take a look at the listing he has and the picture of the real car at the bottom. I was going by that as a real car as I like to do some of the rarer versions of Dinky Cars. I just did not so the Chrome beauty ring that the real car has.
Thanks for the information and then next one will be correct and the one I did already I will probably do the hubs as you say. The model also came with a Black license plate on the rear but with no Tail Lights painted. These are both green verisons. Yours is Blue over blue and that did come with no painted license plate or Tail Lights.