Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky 194 Bentley S2 restoration

Dinky 194 Bentley S2 restoration 2 months, 2 weeks ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>I showed this model in the More Restorations Coming Soon thread here.</p>
<p>www.planetdiecast.com/index.php?option=c...p;Itemid=0</p>
<p>Post #41</p>

Re: Dinky 194 Bentley S2 restoration 2 months, 2 weeks ago #2

Platinum Boarder
As Received

Re: Dinky 194 Bentley S2 restoration 2 months, 2 weeks ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Parts were ordered and I waited almost a month for them. That has to do with when I order.

So lets take it apart and look inside.

Pretty rusted up base plate.

Re: Dinky 194 Bentley S2 restoration 2 months, 2 weeks ago #4

Platinum Boarder
The Paint came off the base plate along with all that nasty rust.

The body also stripped off pretty easy.

Re: Dinky 194 Bentley S2 restoration 2 months, 2 weeks ago #5

Platinum Boarder

And then some primer

Re: Dinky 194 Bentley S2 restoration 2 months, 2 weeks ago #6

Platinum Boarder
The color paint is supposed to be close to the original color but I think it is lighter. I did the interior in Burgundy and that turned out well with two coats.

The the folded top needs a Light Cement Cream to look proper.

Re: Dinky 194 Bentley S2 restoration 2 months, 2 weeks ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Now the rest of the finished car.

The following user(s) said Thank You: lark6

Re: Dinky 194 Bentley S2 restoration 2 months, 2 weeks ago #8

Platinum Boarder
These last two pictures are from the side. The first is how it now sits, the second is how it should sit. The suspension is saggy even though I tried it out before assembly.
I have to replace that now and I also see the headlights are not as chrome as I thought they were. When I do the suspension I will paint them with my chrome paint.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky 194 Bentley S2 restoration 2 months, 1 week ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Very nice rebuild on a very nice car. Always wondered why Dinky did not make a Rolls-Royce version as rolls-royce did in real life.

Colours on my laptop screen lookd very close to original and I am sure its new owner wwill be very pleased with ti, 10/10 Jim.

Rollerman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 194 Bentley S2 restoration 2 months, 1 week ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Kevin. Yes, I am pleased with it but for the suspension. That is an easy fix now that I have all the materials I need.
I am only restoring for myself now so the customer will be after I am long gone from this plain. I am also going to paint behind the front seats and below the dash as the original was also painted there.
Yes, a Convertible Rolls Royce would have been a good seller for Dinky, I am sure.

Re: Dinky 194 Bentley S2 restoration 2 months, 1 week ago #11

Platinum Boarder
A class job, it looks Factory

Re: Dinky 194 Bentley S2 restoration 2 months, 1 week ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Andy. I still have to fix the suspension and may get to that today.

On another topic, I have not been getting notices of posts for the last number of days. Anyone else have this problem?

Re: Dinky 194 Bentley S2 restoration 2 months, 1 week ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Well, I got the car apart a couple days ago and painted the seat back to the front seat and beside and below and in front of the doors. I will show that later.
I have made a new spring plate from the flashing I bought. I had to make a couple adjustments for the rivet hole and make sure it did not interfere with the front of the car behind the grille where the rivet goes in. I cut a 'V' in the front and then had to shorten the length a bit but it fits great now.
I also painted the headlights chrome, they will look new, I hope. They are drying but here are some shots of the base and new spring plate and the new 2mm eyelets I have.
First I seperate the old plate from the base with a drill bit that is larger than the eyelet. Don't drill too much though. I use a pointed tool to push or punch the eyelet out when it is almost drilled through. It wants to turn so you need to press it to a hard surface to keep it from turning. 7/64" drill bit makes the new hole.

You can see in the next picture that I also had to trim down the sides of the front of the spring. The front axle is shorter than the rear axle.

Next picture shows the eyelet installed from the inside. I can move the spring from side to side if I need to before assembly.

Last we have the outside of the base as it will be seen on the toy. It works great now.

Re: Dinky 194 Bentley S2 restoration 2 months, 1 week ago #14

Platinum Boarder
All done. A few pictures and not the rear is at the right height not and the seat back etc is painted. Note the headlights I chrome sprayed.

The following user(s) said Thank You: lark6

Re: Dinky 194 Bentley S2 restoration 2 months, 1 week ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Maybe it needs license plates or Tags as the British call them. A chrome truck handle would also be nice.