Dinky 117 4 Berth Caravan Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky 117 4 Berth Caravan Restoration

Dinky 117 4 Berth Caravan Restoration 8 months, 1 week ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>I have mentioned this caravan in the More Restorations Coming Soon thread</p>

Re: Dinky 117 4 Berth Caravan Restoration 8 months, 1 week ago #2

Platinum Boarder
As Received.

Re: Dinky 117 4 Berth Caravan Restoration 8 months, 1 week ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Here are a couple of shots through the roof to show the Interior.

This one needs a new door and I will try to straighten out the tow bar. The tires and axle are fine as is the interior and the Window unit.
Lets take it apart. I don;t have a picture of all the parts together but this is the body after I took paint stripper to it and then took it out to my bead blaster. Not much of that horrible yellow paint came off but for the inside which is great.

Re: Dinky 117 4 Berth Caravan Restoration 8 months, 1 week ago #4

Platinum Boarder
<p>You can see the glue on the top right 'ear' that holds the interior over a post in the Caravan and also where the table joins the rest of the interior in the middle.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Here is the interior after I put it back together. Broke the whole table out of the thing. Went back together fine. I then made a carpet our of a piece of file card with some grey 20# paper glued on top. Fills the bill, so to speak</p>
<p>
</p>
Last Edit: 8 months, 1 week ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky 117 4 Berth Caravan Restoration 8 months, 1 week ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Now, if I can get the paint off the caravan and the base I will be happy.

Re: Dinky 117 4 Berth Caravan Restoration 1 month ago #6

Platinum Boarder
I tried bead blasting this darn caravan again and again with no luck. I then started with filler primer. Shoot a coat, dry, sand, another coat, dry and sand again. I did this a number of times and still the finish looked like above but in dark Gray primer.
Today is my first day back at restoring my toys. Yesterday, I took the old glass bead out of my blaster and filled it with some new coarser stuff. Called Greengrit. It is about 4 times the diameter of the glass bead. It is still glass though so ground up and screened so it is all about the same size. Here is a picture of the two with a 1 Euro coin I have from our trip to Europe back in 2016.

I hope you can see it.

Re: Dinky 117 4 Berth Caravan Restoration 1 month ago #7

Platinum Boarder
It still took a while to get that yellow paint off. Longer than any other toy I have cleaned with my blaster. About 45 minutes later most if not all the yellow was gone. There are a few bits I missed though.
This is what it looked like out of the blaster. Coarser finish and it has shiny bits all over it that do not wash off so this grade of glass must cut a smooth surface at certain points. I am just guessing as it could also be fine glass in the crevasses and it is reflection the flash on the camera. I also primed one side of the caravan to see what it will look like. This is two coats of normal light grey primer.

I will carry on tomorrow now.

Re: Dinky 117 4 Berth Caravan Restoration 1 month ago #8

Platinum Boarder
<p>I think that buy the time I get a couple coats of paint on this caravan it will be just fine. Everything else is ready to go. Just have to dunk the window unit in Future Floor was.</p>
Last Edit: 1 month ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky 117 4 Berth Caravan Restoration 1 month ago #9

It is strange that this yellow paint comes off so hard. The primed side looks good, so that is a bonus..

Re: Dinky 117 4 Berth Caravan Restoration 4 weeks, 1 day ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Yes and I am only going to use this GreenGrit for hard jobs. I have a few buckets and it is easy to empty the blaster and exchange medium. The Caravan came out pretty good after all. Might even get it painted later today. Have to load about 9 fifty pound bags of sand into the back of my pick up. Need traction as the back end it so light.

Re: Dinky 117 4 Berth Caravan Restoration 4 weeks ago #11

Platinum Boarder
I am looking forwards to this one , I have a soft spot for caravan models.

Re: Dinky 117 4 Berth Caravan Restoration 4 weeks ago #12

Platinum Boarder
As do I. My display has 2 shelves now with caravans. 44 inches (112cm) wide per shelf. This one I am going to do a light yellow with a tan stripe to match a car I have upstairs in my Dinky American car collection. The 191 Dodge Royal Sedan. Will look good with the 190 Caravan in tow. I showed the Dodge some time ago now but it is here on PD.

Re: Dinky 117 4 Berth Caravan Restoration 3 weeks, 6 days ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Can you show a picture of your caravans , is there a topic on here for them as it would be interesting to see , may be a topic on cars towing?

Re: Dinky 117 4 Berth Caravan Restoration 3 weeks, 6 days ago #14

Platinum Boarder
I am in the middle of my order for my store. Just got all the customer orders out today and now have to finish up with the items to put on my eBay store. I will see what I can do in the next couple days. Would be an interesting topic and I don't think we have a towing thread going. Maybe "Towed vehicles and what tows them" or something.
Ideas welcome for a title for the topic.

Re: Dinky 117 4 Berth Caravan Restoration 3 weeks, 6 days ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Here is an example of car and 190 caravan being hauled by a 40g Morris Oxford
  • Page: