Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner Restoration

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 11 months ago #31

Platinum Boarder
Starting to looks a lot like a plane again!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 11 months ago #32

Platinum Boarder
Yes it is. I think I am going to give it another coat or white though. Looks a little thin on the tail and along the seam.
I will look at it tomorrow morning.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 11 months ago #33

you did well on the second attempt. The fist attempt that went wrong had its purpose: you had not noticed the extra crack in the body. Now you fixed that too....

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 11 months ago #34

Platinum Boarder
Yes and it is strange how that worked out. I had checked the plane and nothing wrong that I could see.
You are right, it had a purpose.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 11 months ago #35

Platinum Boarder
Today I got the decals on the ERF Cement trucks and then started to mask off the Bristol Britannia. Did not take too long and then I sprayed it with silver.

While I was painting the underside I did not notice that the can was putting paint out from around the spray nozzel where it goes into the can. What a mess on the bench but it is covered by cardboard around the paint booth and my work area has a sheet of glass over it so it was easy to take care of the clean up.

I was not impressed with how much paint I got on my hands though. Here is the masking job.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 11 months ago #36

Platinum Boarder
<p>I also bought a gold and a silver pen. The gold will make it much easier to make the metal wheels look like black tires on gold rims or hubs. I have yet to try it on the wheels but on cardboard it works well. I hope the dot it makes is large enough for the wheel. It looks right. Pictures soon. The pens cost me Less than $2.00 including tax at our local dollar store. Who would have thunk it in a town of 660 people</p>
Last Edit: 11 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 10 months, 4 weeks ago #37

Platinum Boarder
Well, the painting went very well. Here are the results.
This is after the second coat of silver on the top of the plane.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 10 months, 4 weeks ago #38

Platinum Boarder
And the underside, two coats.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 10 months, 4 weeks ago #39

Platinum Boarder
So far so good. Nice an even look to the silver.

Now we take off the masking tape to reveal the actual paint job.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 10 months, 4 weeks ago #40

Platinum Boarder
Looks to me like the wing on the left has a very slight bend in it outboard of the outer engine. Starboard side?

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 10 months, 4 weeks ago #41

Platinum Boarder
<p>Next step of attaching the wheels is done. I made new axles from finishing nails and the windscreen (silver) and nose (blue) are painted.
My attempt at painting the wheels is better than on the Air France Viscount I did. I have a gold Pen now but still need to improve. I did the tires in Matte black. Some of the originals were done black and gold but most seem to be silver. Must have been cheaping out on them.</p>
Last Edit: 10 months, 4 weeks ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 10 months, 4 weeks ago #42

Platinum Boarder
That little spot of lighter blue above on the nose is reflection from my flash, not thin paint
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 10 months, 3 weeks ago #43

Very nicely done Jim, the paint looks perfect from this side of the pond..

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 10 months, 3 weeks ago #44

Platinum Boarder
The black nose is next then I can do the decals. After that I will install the props and pins.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 10 months, 3 weeks ago #45

Platinum Boarder
Well, I have to report that the nose of the plane did not turn out the way I wanted to and I messed it up further when I tried to fix it. Off to the stripper bath once more and start this project again.
Yesterday this happened and to day I have the broken pieces filled in with model putty. Better than last time, I hope. It is now primed and drying.

I have said before that I am my own worst critic and this proves it. I also want to try to get a better fit on the home made axles for this plane. Shorter so the wheels don't wobble so much.
In the mean time I am working on 2 more 151 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith's. Both will be two-tone paint jobs and one will be different than all the others. The other will be done in Blood and Custard. I liked that one but it was sold years ago. Not this time Pictures to come when I get closer to finishing.