Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner Restoration

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 1 year ago #16

Platinum Boarder
Do you still have the tail from that plane, your 'original' would be difficult to restore if not I suppose.

I think B.O.A.C is the pre British airways livery.

Are those cabinet's to put models into by any chance?

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 1 year ago #17

Platinum Boarder
It broke off when I was a kid so the late 1950's so who knows where the top of the rear vertical is. I have made one using the good plane as a template. I just have not done anything with it in years. Other wise it is fine. Even has all it wheels.

British Overseas Airways Corporation is what B.O.A.C. stands for.

I have a display cabinet in my bedroom I have shown it here in the show us your display or cabinets threads. I am going to build one the same and one narrower for a shorter wall, so 2 more display cabinets this summer, I hope.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 1 year ago #18

Platinum Boarder
I kneaded together the two part epoxy, Milliput and put a blob in the front and some over where the rivet goes at the rear. I then clamped it together and held it tight.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 1 year ago #19

Platinum Boarder
Hoping to get nice shut lines and it seems to have worked out okay.

The joint in the middle did not go as well but considering, it is not bad. Putty there next.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 1 year ago #20

Platinum Boarder
Some putty and then some white primer after sanding the putty. Lets see how it goes.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 1 year ago #21

Platinum Boarder
I am giving the putty another go as the edge is not right. Drying now.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 1 year ago #22

Good job Jim. I am sure it will be a great plane again when on display
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 1 year ago #23

Platinum Boarder
looking amazing so far

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 1 year ago #24

Platinum Boarder
At least by taking your time the result be a lasting one to enjoy for many years to come.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 1 year ago #25

Platinum Boarder
Well, I got the final sanding done on the broken bottom and then sprayed it with silver. What a mess I made. Off to the blaster this morning to take that silver off and see what else I need to do for the joint. The blaster may take of most of the putty but so will the stripper. I have more control with the blaster.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 1 year ago #26

That is a shame Jim, Do you use a rattlecan for the silver paint?

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 1 year ago #27

Platinum Boarder
Yes as the only other silver I can get to spray is Testor's and they have 14ml bottles. I have to be more careful. I guess I was not paying attention enough to what I was doing and got too close.
Paint is all off and it is drying in the oven. I broke the Milliput holding it together but it did not come out so I will just glue it back together.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 1 year ago #28

Platinum Boarder
I bead blasted the paint off the shell and came out with what is below. A good casting to paint on.

You can see the Milliput inside the plane's body that was holding it together. Broke clean. I have now glued that back together but not after finding a couple other problems.

The tail fin is on in line with the body so I had to straighten it some. Not hard, just had to be done. Heat it up and use my gloves and bent it by hand. Then I was looking at where I want the white paint and how I am going to mask it off this time. I thought that there is al of masking if I paint the Silver first. I decided to paint the White first. While looking at this problem I discovered a small crack in the tail wing and had to glue it back together. I was moving so I could get glue inside the crack. That is now fixed. See next post.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 1 year ago #29

Platinum Boarder
It is hard to see the crack as it is at the line between the body and the wing. You might see some glue residue though.

Then it is all back together and ready for some paint.

This time I am not going to use primer at all, just link Dinky Did!

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 1 year ago #30

Platinum Boarder
I forgot the underside after bead blasting. It turned out pretty nice.

Now the white is painted I can mask off for the Silver. That will be on Wednesday as tomorrow is shopping day and I am dropping in on a buddy of mine. His wife is Russian and makes the best Borscht. I have to get a couple quarts as I have been having cravings. Some Portuguese buns and there is dinner for two in one quart bottle. She makes it and cans it herself with an old old family recipe.