Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner Restoration

Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner Restoration 11 months, 1 week ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>This is a broken plane from the Box That Cam Gave Me.</p>
Last Edit: 11 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 11 months, 1 week ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Here she is as I retrieved it from the box.

Mind you it was in two pieces.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 11 months, 1 week ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Not sure if you could see the crack in the planes body just in front of the wings. That is severe.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 11 months, 1 week ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Here we have the embossing of the ID on the wing.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 11 months, 1 week ago #5

Platinum Boarder
All the wheels were taken off and most axles were cut in half. I have small finishing nails I can use as new axles. I just have to turn the head of the nail into a roundish axle end.

You can see I have one good propeller and some pieces. No propeller pins. I will order them and in the mean time paint the propellers red. The pins are conical in shape and silver so should stand out.
The Wheels are 6mm and have a coat of black paint from the factory with a gold center. I guess this is to denote the hubs. Hard to duplicate but I am willing to try.
The decals for this plane are CP Air a Canadian Air Lines from decades ago. Canadian Pacific Airways.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 11 months, 1 week ago #6

Platinum Boarder
This is the decal set I have which is not always seen on this plane. It is usually with Blue writing.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 11 months, 1 week ago #7

Platinum Boarder
To continue with this broken model. You can see where it is broken and also the outside and inside of both halves.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 11 months, 1 week ago #8

Platinum Boarder
This is what I will work with. Some Milliput should take care of most of the problem. Model putty with do the rest.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 11 months, 1 week ago #9

Platinum Boarder
I was searching for another restoration of the very plane and found it. About 5 years 6 months ago Theo did one of these and it was also broken. His has the front half off and mine has the rear half off. I have a decent front rivet and Theo had a good rear rivet.
See here.

www.planetdiecast.com/index.php?option=c...&Itemid=18#95020

Jan Werner. you asked about the decals and them being red lettering I have the second issue decals for the plane I am doing. All Red but for the call letters.
The other version is the Blue version like you show in the link from the thread above. I think that Theo got a combination of the two decals. Red window bars and other decals but the Canadian Pacific works are Blue. Interesting.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 11 months, 1 week ago #10

Platinum Boarder
I now have the body of the aircraft striped of paint. Silver comes of pretty easy in the blaster but I still see a few spots around the sides of the jet engines.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 11 months, 1 week ago #11

Platinum Boarder
<p>Now it is drying after washing the glass bead off and then I have one wing tip to bend very lightly. It is a bit bent but hardly noticeable. Then I start in on the Milliput and glue to put it all back together. Then some model putty to fill the broken gap.</p>
Last Edit: 11 months, 1 week ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 11 months ago #12

Still one of my favorite restos. The old thread : I read it, nearly forgot it though...

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 11 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
poor old thing... planes aren't massively my thing but no doubt you'll do a job on it would seem...

Got few non dinky aircraft when I think about it (mostly military).

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 11 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Yes Theo, I thought you would like that thread being brought up. It was quite a while ago now.

Ashley, Planes are not my thing either but I had one as a kid and broke the vertical tail off of it when I was a kid. No propellers but the pins are still there. Most of the decals are there too but in rough shape. Maybe one day I will put a new tail on it and restore it to. In the mean time, a number of years ago now, (2011) one came in a lot I bought back then. As it was whole I did a restoration on it to replace my original.

It sits on my desk riser and I am going to be building some cabinets this summer as I don't have much left to do to the deck from last summer.

Re: Dinky 998 Bristol Britannia Airliner 11 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
<p>I also did the De Havilland Comet 999 for a customer years ago as well.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>This was done back in 2008</p>
Last Edit: 11 months ago by Nobleco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL