Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van

Re: Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van 10 months, 3 weeks ago #31

I agree Jim, ready for a new lease of life

Re: Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van 10 months ago #32

Platinum Boarder
Well, I am undecided about the Low Line Ford Fordor. It is not that bad on display but may do it one day.
The Bedford 482 Dinky Toys Van is done however. You have seen the before pictures on the previous page so here we go from there.

Here it is in pieces. Not too much involved with this van.

Re: Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van 10 months ago #33

Platinum Boarder
Strip the paint off with my furniture stripper.

Then off to the garage for some glass bead work.

Pretty clean now and a nice even surface to paint on. Next is the primer.

With that done we turn to painting the first, lighter color.

Re: Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van 10 months ago #34

Platinum Boarder
Now for some paint. I made sure I painted the grille well this time. Last one of these vans I did the grille in Silver. It looks good but this one need to be like original.

Re: Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van 10 months ago #35

Platinum Boarder
Next will be the masking for the lower darker color. Always paint light first and dark second if you possibly can.

I like to mask off the inside of the cab where I painted it to match the outside of the cab. Dinky Did Not Do This. Most times only over spray was inside the vehicle

Re: Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van 10 months ago #36

Platinum Boarder
I tell you that masking the grille off took some time and some thinking. I have a circle template from my drafting days and use it to make the 5/32 and 7/64 diameter masks for some of the outside corners. It worked pretty well as you will see.
After spraying the darker color here it is.

Re: Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van 10 months ago #37

Platinum Boarder
Now lets take the masking off gently. The paint is still soft but not tacky. Here are the results.

I think I aced the grille this time.

Re: Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van 10 months ago #38

Platinum Boarder
It looks good as is and I did absolute minimum of touch-ups. Here are the final pictures of this restoration

I enjoyed restoring this model and was lucky to have the decals the tires in stock.
My order from SF went in on Jan 1 and then the British Government shut the country down with a lock down due to Covid-19. That was Jan 14 and I am still waiting to hear wither or not my order has been shipped. I am also waiting on Rob and Model Car Parts to notify me of shipping my roof beacons, antenna and tire order. That will arrive in about 2 weeks or so. When Steve gets mine off it will be 3 to 4 weeks to get here.
I have 3 or 4 other Dinky waiting on those 2 orders. Tires, decals and a window unit for a 193 Rambler Cross country. Such a nice car.
Stay tuned for more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lark6

Re: Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van 10 months ago #39

Absolute spot on with the colors and the grille area is as Dinky thought it would be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van 10 months ago #40

Gold Boarder
<p>I'd say you most definitely aced the grille! Nice work.</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van 9 months, 4 weeks ago #41

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Guys. that grille was tricky work. Having a circle template left over from my drafting days is coming in handy from time to time. Using a nice shape exacto blade I can cut out5/32" circles for the upper corners. Outside corners are easy that way but the inside curve near the bottom is another ball of wax. Have to be more precise in your size.

Re: Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van 9 months, 3 weeks ago #42

Platinum Boarder
Love it ! its one which I would like to do , I have the Bedford Jekta but not this one.

Factory.

Re: Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van 9 months, 3 weeks ago #43

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Andy. I now have this van with a Chrome grille and the stock painted grille. They look good beside each other. I also have the Pallet-Jecta but it is in pretty good condition so I probably won't be restoring it any time soon.