Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van

Re: Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van 5 months, 2 weeks ago #16

Senior Boarder
Modelcarparts.com in the Netherlands used to have Steve´s paints but they are all sold out.
The Royal Mail does not send any liquids abroad.

Re: Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van 5 months, 2 weeks ago #17

Platinum Boarder
Steve will ship paints via courier in the UK but I don't know about over to the Continent. I tried for a while to get him to ship via Fed Ex to me here in Canada and Fed Ex told me they would do the shipping but he never got to it or did not want to or it was too much hassle. I kept asking but go no answers.
I may just call the Fed Ex depot in Leicester and talk to them about a pick up and shipping to me here on Canada.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van 5 months, 2 weeks ago #18

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Theo. Just have to finish off the details on both trucks and they are ready for assembly. All the hubs and the bases are painted and the axles are cleaned. Decals are set aside as well as new tires for both. Hoping today will be a good day for most of that. Only Noon now.

Re: Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van 5 months, 2 weeks ago #19

Platinum Boarder
On the previous page I showed the paint job after the second coat and there were two areas, one on each side, that did not get paint right. Tape was in the way I think or it came off when I took the tape off. Here are the 2 areas now that I have touched them up.

Re: Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van 5 months, 2 weeks ago #20

Platinum Boarder
You might notice that the front bumper is silver too.
Here is the finished model to finish off my Bedford Van series of 3.

I hope you enjoyed this restoration. I did.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL, PoliTom2

Re: Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van 5 months, 2 weeks ago #21

Gold Boarder
They look great as usual Jim.

Do you give the grille more than one coat?
Also I usually clear coat before the grille painting, but maybe that is the wrong sequence...
Also do you do the decals before the clear coat or after?

Re: Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van 5 months, 2 weeks ago #22

Platinum Boarder
I do the grille at least twice as the Testor's silver I use seems to fish-eye on the paint. Second coat usually takes care of that. I don't mask either I paint the grille etc by hand/
I don't clear coat but having said that I did clear the roof on the 2 ambulances I am working on as the only White I had was a Satin White and it was not shiny enough. I find Steve Flowers paint do not need a clear coat. This van is NOT clear coated and the only time I will clear is when a customer ask or I don't have the right gloss paint.
I also never clear over my decals. They are of such quality that it is not needed. I have toys I restored back in 2005 and 2006 who's decals are still stuck like glue. Even my home made decals seem to stick as good. Some toys I have bought that had home made decals that were peeling when I got them. They were always easy to remove, some just by grabbing with your fingers or tweezers and slowly pulling them off.
One thing I will say is that I try to restore to as close to Dinky Original as possible. They did not clear coat their toys at all. Only thing I do differently with painting is I use a Grey or white primer, sometimes Red Oxide but that is usually a large toy with black or very dark Blue or Green as top coat.
I hope that helps answer your questions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL, PoliTom2

Re: Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van 5 months, 2 weeks ago #23

Platinum Boarder
I notice you have decided to paint the grille in chrome rather than original body colour on this restoration, turned out very nice indeed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van 5 months, 2 weeks ago #24

Platinum Boarder
I did one like that for a customer a long time ago and he did not like the light color Yellow grille at all. He made me paint it silver. I agreed with him as I too did not like it. Maybe it was done like that in real life or not but I think it looks better with the Testor's silver paint. Matches the Ovaltine and the Kodak vans.

Re: Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van 5 months, 2 weeks ago #25

Platinum Boarder
Love it , factory

Re: Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van 1 month, 1 week ago #26

Platinum Boarder
I have just recently acquired another of these nice vans for restoration. From England and it sure took its time at over a month. Supposed to be air mail and maybe as it had non traceable codes on it. It will join my collection when done.

Re: Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van 1 month, 1 week ago #27

Platinum Boarder
It even has treaded tires on it from the factory. I think this is the first time I have seen these tires on this van, no matter the livery.

Re: Dinky 482 Bedford 'Dinky Toys' Van 1 month, 1 week ago #28

Platinum Boarder
Good to see that your purchases got to you finally form the Uk.

Tyres on this one appear to be seen like you says on latter dinky models from the 60's usually.
  • Page: