Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: The Tale of Two Trojans

The Tale of Two Trojans 4 years, 5 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>My next project is on the bench and has been taken apart.</p>

Re: The Tale of Two Trojans 4 years, 5 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
I am doing the Dinky 450 ESSO van and the 455 Brooke Bond Tea Van. The are both the same red which makes it much easier.

Re: The Tale of Two Trojans 4 years, 5 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
I will be going back and forth between the two vans in this thread.
First the 450 Esso.

Re: The Tale of Two Trojans 4 years, 5 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Note the maroon hubs. The Esso Van and the Dunlop Van had this color hubs. Others had Light Green, Blue, Medium Blue, Red or Yellow hubs depending on which model you are talking about.

Re: The Tale of Two Trojans 4 years, 5 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
The Dinky 455 Brooke Bond Tea Van
If you look at the base plate picture you will see that the insides of the hubs are actually Maroon. A previous owner painted the outside of the hubs and the roof a pale Blue.

Re: The Tale of Two Trojans 4 years, 5 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Again you can see the front axle end is thinner than the rear axle end in the picture of the Base plate above.

Re: The Tale of Two Trojans 4 years, 5 months ago #7

That id nice project Jim. I like these Trojans. Were thinner axle ends done on purpose? I have never noticed that whilst restoring.

Re: The Tale of Two Trojans 4 years, 5 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Yes. If you look at the axles, even supertoys, you will see that one end is sort of thick but flatter on one end. It has a slight dome shape on top. The other end will also have the dome shape but it comes to a shape edge (usually) after it has been peened by machine. You can see the difference. Also when you look at the axles note that the fat ends (as I call them) are usually on opposite sides of the vehicle. This is due to positioning of the model on the machine that does the peening and the way the worker has to hold it in their hands to press the axle end into the peening machine and make the riveted end. The also have to hold the axle and hub on the other end to prevent it from just pushing out the axle.
I am not sure if there are any pictures of the machine in use. They may even be something that is put over or clamped to the toy to hold it all in position. The toy would be positioned so as the end of the toy was always shortest in the same direction if you know what I mean.The would have the model on it side, pick it up and push the axle end into the machine. They would then flip it end for end to to the other end of the toy but it would be the other side that is peened, not the same side as was just done.
I hope you follow that.
Axles on the Mighty Antar would have the front axle peened one side but the rear would have both axles peened the same but opposite side. This tells me you had to hold the model in the machine a certain way for it to do its job and not mar or mark the toy.

Re: The Tale of Two Trojans 4 years, 5 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
On with the Trojans. This time I decided not to use my stripper and just bead blast. It took longer than normal so maybe the stripping is not such a bad idea. Even if it is a bit messy.
Anyway, here is the results. Some bits of paint here and there and a bit of bubbling I can take care of so it is not too bad.

Re: The Tale of Two Trojans 4 years, 5 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Here we go. I have filed and fixed the imperfections in the bodies and have primed them both.

Re: The Tale of Two Trojans 4 years, 5 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
<p>The Hubs have been painted and you can see them under and behind in their wooden racks. maroon is the color. They will get another coat. I have also cleaned and polished the axles for both vehicles. To see that look to the Threads in Resto and Customs/How-To-Hints and Tips and you will see "How to clean Dinky and other Straight axles".</p>
Last Edit: 4 years, 5 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: The Tale of Two Trojans 4 years, 5 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
I got paint on both vans, two coats today. Esso First

And the Brooke Bond Tea Van.

Here they are together drying under my lights. 45 minutes from Primer to Paint.
[url=https://postimg.cc/xNyzjGPm]

Re: The Tale of Two Trojans 4 years, 5 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Jim - what a great project. Will you be fixing them with the Brooke Bond and Esso transfers? Always liked the Trojan series of vans.
Look forward to seeing the finished models.

Hugh
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: The Tale of Two Trojans 4 years, 5 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Yes Hugh. They will be Esso and Brooke Bond tea livery. That is also how they arrived. The Esso you can see the old decals and I just told myself that the other van is to complete my set of Trojan vans with the BBTea livery. Today I do the details and assemble them both. I have the decals in stock so they should be done this afternoon. Then on to the next project. A pair of Dinky Ambulances, both with roof lights and battery boxes. I think both bulbs are working which is great as they are red bulbs. I don't have any clear red that I remember.

Re: The Tale of Two Trojans 4 years, 5 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Both these van have been detailed and the base is assembled with the axles, hubs and tires. Just waiting for the pain to dry so I can assemble the van.