Corgi Rover 2000- Time for an Overhaul
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Corgi Rover 2000- Time for an Overhaul

Corgi Rover 2000- Time for an Overhaul 2 years, 1 month ago #1

Expert Boarder
<p>This code 3 is the result of a Corgi model that came from a $2.00 bag lot that I acquired from a Salvation Army thrift store in my home town in Southwestern Ontario.</p>
<p>
</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 1 month ago by gcladd.

Re: Corgi Rover 2000- Time for an Overhaul 2 years, 1 month ago #2

Expert Boarder
<p>It was a nice find, definitely in need of some work with the battered finish and the smashed rear window. I like the trans-o-lite projection feature on these when a light it shone through the rear window...the dawn of fibre optic cable in the 60's.</p>
<p>
</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Corgi Rover 2000- Time for an Overhaul 2 years, 1 month ago #3

Expert Boarder
<p>I took the model apart and checked the parts. At some point in my life I definitely will have to replace the window unit. If a possible colour match is found I will restore the model back to it's original colour.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Corgi Rover 2000- Time for an Overhaul 2 years, 1 month ago #4

Platinum Boarder
You are using the 'Hotlink for forums' link right ?

Here is an image of a very tired cat using the same link

Re: Corgi Rover 2000- Time for an Overhaul 2 years, 1 month ago #5

Expert Boarder
<p>I have to reset the photosize and reload back into postimage… working on it now.</p>

Re: Corgi Rover 2000- Time for an Overhaul 2 years, 1 month ago #6

Platinum Boarder
320x240 for websites and email may turn out ok
The following user(s) said Thank You: gcladd

Re: Corgi Rover 2000- Time for an Overhaul 2 years, 1 month ago #7

Expert Boarder
In a previous surplus hunt in Stratford Ontario I found some cans of Automotive touch-up lacquer for $1.99. One was a metallic blue that looked similar to a shade my father had on his 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne, along with some Duplicolor reds. The blue looks like a good match for the Rover 2000.

After testing my metallic blue on another model (cheap Asian import model from a bag lot) I was not impressed with how the finish went on. It seemed to “glob” on the body and didn’t leave a smooth finish. The blue paint might be from an old lot that has surpassed it's shelf life...good experiment not a major investment.

Re: Corgi Rover 2000- Time for an Overhaul 2 years, 1 month ago #8

Expert Boarder
On seeing the test results, I made a decision to do as a Code 3 and paint the #252 Rover 2000 to the two tone finish of the Rover 2000 with the red and white “International Rally Finish”. I have a Duplicolor Red that I picked up for a $1.99 that is a close match (slightly darker) for this metallic red finish. I did a Lesney Super King K-15 Merryweather Fire Engine in this colour a couple weeks ago and it is a nice colour match to the original colour. It should work on this model as well.

Re: Corgi Rover 2000- Time for an Overhaul 2 years, 1 month ago #9

Expert Boarder
I decided to use a technique that I have used before to paint two tone cars just as a means to show a way to get clean paint separation without tear caused by tape. The detail from the chrome/colour detail on the front of this model will make this technique beneficial.

After gray priming the Rover I started by spraying the front and rear with a couple light coats of chrome paint. I checked all the paints that are being used to make sure they are compatible with each other when sprayed over. I let the chrome finish dry overnight.

Re: Corgi Rover 2000- Time for an Overhaul 2 years, 1 month ago #10

Expert Boarder
<p>I mixed a batch or Elmer’s craft glue in a small cup and added a drop of food colour to the mix. Pick a colour that is not similar to your finish coat. I chose red (bad choice) since I ended up changing my finish colour from metallic blue.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>I applied the craft glue solution to the area at the front and rear bumpers that I want to remain chrome.  You will need a steady hand and fine artists brushes to do this detail.  If you make an error (are a few in this photo), after the glue sets a bit, of nudging with a toothpick will scrape it back to the desired edge with using solvents.</p>

Re: Corgi Rover 2000- Time for an Overhaul 2 years, 1 month ago #11

Expert Boarder
When the masking solution for the chrome was dry, I sprayed the model with Tamiya Pure White to do the roof detail. I repeated the masking process after the white had thoroughly dried to get the red/white paint separation on the roof line for the rally colour finish.

Re: Corgi Rover 2000- Time for an Overhaul 2 years, 1 month ago #12

Expert Boarder
I let the model dry a couple of days, put it in a bucket of warm water and let it soak. I used wet wood toothpicks (that soaked with the model) to remove the craft glue up to the edges of the paint boundaries. Takes time but the results are usually good.

After soaking, the masked areas are not coming up as clean as I have seen on other models, but details still look pretty good. Might not be as quite as good as the original paint coat that came out of the Corgi factory in the UK. The metallic sheen on the chrome areas is not as nice after the craft glue was removed.

Re: Corgi Rover 2000- Time for an Overhaul 2 years, 1 month ago #13

Expert Boarder
<p>Since I am cheap and didn’t feel like ordering a new windshield for this model, I broke out the methylene dichloride and some clear acrylic and did a “repair” on the original window. I know that this will have to be replaced at a later date.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Not a perfect fix, and after much trial and error the methylene dichloride I used to solvent weld actually clouded the seams at the edge of the joints. I will have to add a new windshield to my parts order for a later date I never bothered opened up the back of the new “glass area” for the trans-o-lite headlamp refractor.</p>

Re: Corgi Rover 2000- Time for an Overhaul 2 years, 1 month ago #14

Expert Boarder
<p>Assembled the model. Trans-o-lite lamps work fine without the cut opening in the rear window. That crack in the front looks “rally carish”…looks like a definite excuse for a warning if the police saw me driving a car like this.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The clouding caused on the back during the solvent weld is very prominent in this photo. I will unscrew the base (the joys of a threaded base) and do a 1500 grit sand and polish to correct this. Right now it looks like early morning October/November window frost in Southwestern Ontario.</p>

Re: Corgi Rover 2000- Time for an Overhaul 2 years, 1 month ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Turned out real good, save the window unit, are you going to paint the tail lights in?
  • Page: