Corgi Imp Fire Chief version nr 506
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Corgi Imp Fire Chief version nr 506

Re: Corgi Imp Fire Chief version nr 506 2 years, 2 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
<p>So, take a look at the base, and the knob sticking out just behind the rear axle. It is there because the rear suspension is pressed in there. Note the big hole in the rear suspension, which goes on first. The small hole is on the upper part of the knob.</p>
<p>So, what I did was, I used the knob to bend the steel wire around. Halfway the two smaller knobs on the base are for the holes in the interior (no picture), so you know where to place it........sometimes I have the feeling Corgi WANTED us to take this one apart, and help us placing back the interior in the right place, haha.</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by Keesie.

Re: Corgi Imp Fire Chief version nr 506 2 years, 2 months ago #17

Platinum Boarder
<p>So, the new suspension is not glued in, no need to. It stays down on the base by the interior pressing on it. Also it cannot move forward (knob) or backwards (rear screw).</p>
<p>So here the base with the new suspension again. With steel wire, you can bend it only once when you do this slowly. Bending the same part twice will break it.</p>
<p>
nearest regions bank</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by Keesie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Corgi Imp Fire Chief version nr 506 2 years, 2 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
<p>And finally, well well well, look at us now: no more than two days ago I thought about less text, and all of a sudden we ask good questions. I think this is what a forum is about, and far more fun isn't it?</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Corgi Imp Fire Chief version nr 506 2 years, 2 months ago #19

Platinum Boarder
I see where the knob and rear screw should go now, clearly leaving the wire no-where to move am surprised it breaks so easily when bent.

Re: Corgi Imp Fire Chief version nr 506 2 years, 2 months ago #20

Platinum Boarder
<p>Clever thinking 143!</p>
<p>Well, I should have added something to that. This steel breaks when 'forced' into a sharp angle twice. However, when the angle is very blunt(?), like a suspension going up and down, it can last forever.</p>

Re: Corgi Imp Fire Chief version nr 506 2 years, 2 months ago #21

Platinum Boarder
It is the type of metal you have that makes it brittle when bent a second time. Probably heat treated and from an umbrella stay or one of the Fly Swatters you have also used for metal bits and bobs. If it is soft steel it may not do the proper job on working the suspension for a while and then it will sag like so many different metal suspension wires do. Same with Dinky and the metal plates they use for suspension. Just a while ago Rollerman mentioned in one of my threads (I think) that there were two thickness used on the RR Silver Wraith. I had a week one and it no longer worked well due to over use. I replace it with tin from a can.

Yes, this is how forums are supposed to work. Add to them or ask questions. Works well.

Re: Corgi Imp Fire Chief version nr 506 2 years, 2 months ago #22

Platinum Boarder
<p>Thanks Jim, most materials either break or stay in the angle you bend them in.</p>
<p>However, with steel it is different. It always returns to the original shape when bent slightly. However, when forced in a sharp angle, it will break, as I already said.</p>
<p>Cionstruction workers know all this. They also know when they build a tall building, like the Eiffel tower, it MUST bend, otherwise it will break. They say, standing on it, the upper part goes back and forth with the wind at least 70 centimeters! Thing is, the construction is made of many parts, and therefore between all parts there is always a little space. Also, the longer the part, the more flexible it is.</p>
<p>I once stood high up on a metal construction, and the only function it had was to check the brick wall next to it. The brick wal itself MOVED back and forth a bit. If not, it would break!</p>

Re: Corgi Imp Fire Chief version nr 506 2 years, 2 months ago #23

Platinum Boarder
Yes, buildings are made to flex and move with the wind and also with earth quakes now. Metal can be your friend or your enemy depending on what your using it for.
  • Page: