Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 4 years, 6 months ago #31

That is a shame. If it happened to me, than I would start again, but considering your health issue, I think filling in the gap is the best option. And you could always display the other side in your display cabinet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lark6

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 4 years, 5 months ago #32

Gold Boarder
<p>As I write I was prescribed some meds to help with the pain and swelling and for the moment they're helping. After a week or so on these I'll have some blood work done and then may be adjusted based on the results.</p>
<p>I've masked off the damaged area and shot it with a coat of primer. I'm going to try to slowly build up the color coats to level as best as possible. If that doesn't work then I'll strip it down and start all over again, making doubly sure the bare metal is clean and free of any agents that would interfere with paint adhesion. My arthritis doesn't have me as down as I was when I last posted, so I'm not going to let this setback discourage me, even if I have to go back to square one. It may take me longer to get things done to my satisfaction, but I'm not going to let that rob me of the satisfaction of getting it done.</p>

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 4 years, 5 months ago #33

Platinum Boarder
That's the ticket. Press on regardless. I like your attitude. I too have troubles with my hands sometimes but not on meds, at least not yet. Mostly it is just cramping and the like. I have other joints and bones that give me more trouble.
I am looking forward to seeing your results. Would be nice if you can just do the repair but I have been in that situation and sometimes it works where other times I just start over.
Good luck.

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 3 years, 8 months ago #34

Gold Boarder
<p>It's been quite some time since I've been on the boards. The drug I was prescribed for my arthritis helped to an extent, but then hit a wall as far as benefits. My rheumatologist put me on a biologic in April that is administered via IV once a month. It has helped more than the original drug with fewer side effects. As a result I'm back to working on my restos and Code 3's, starting with this Dinky 541. I wasn't able to successfully blend in the chip as the tape I put around the edges of the area to be blended pulled off even more of the paint. So I stripped the entire body and washed it with a mild dish detergent followed by a lengthy water rinse. Now it's back to square one with the body paint.
</p>
Last Edit: 3 years, 8 months ago by lark6.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 3 years, 8 months ago #35

Platinum Boarder
Welcome back to the forum. Glad to hear that you found a solution to your health problems that seems to be working. At least now you can have some enjoyment in you life instead of pain or boredom.
Too bad about the paint coming off after touch ups. It is frustrating but sometimes it is for the best. You will have a mint condition restoration in no time.

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 3 years, 8 months ago #36

Good to see you back on here. Can't wait seeing some of the projects you are working on

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 3 years, 5 months ago #37

Gold Boarder
<p>Happy to report progress. Here it is having been repainted and wet sanded. I'm not concerned about polishing through on the raised trim as that will be getting covered as chrome.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p>
</p>
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by lark6.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 3 years, 5 months ago #38

Platinum Boarder
<p>It is looking really nice at this stage. What grade do you wet sand with?</p>
<p>Will be nice to see the next few steps to finish this bus off.</p>
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 3 years, 5 months ago #39

Gold Boarder
<p>Nobleco wrote:
</p>
<p>It is looking really nice at this stage. What grade do you wet sand with?</p>
<p>Will be nice to see the next few steps to finish this bus off.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>For the primer coats, I use 1500 or 2000 grit automotive sandpaper. For the color coats, I use the Detail Master polishing kit. The kit contains a range of polishing cloths: <span>3200, 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000 and 12000 grit. Depending on how smoothly the color coat went down I may skip the coarser of those and start with 4000, but in each case I work my way up to the finer grits and finish with 12000.</span></p>
<p><span>The kit is a bit pricey but I rinse the cloths after each use and get a fair bit of mileage out of them. They can be found at www.detailmaster.com/products/dm-9000-polishing-abrasive-kit but Amazon and other hobby retailers carry them as well.<br /></span></p>
<p><span><br /></span></p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 3 years, 5 months ago #40

Platinum Boarder
I am so happy you are feeling better and can start working again. Great color choice! Reminds me of a similar Corgi van!

More importantly (for me!) are the 2 ambulances. They look in great shape except for the headlights. What is your plan for them? Teknos are my main collecting passion!

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 3 years, 5 months ago #41

Platinum Boarder
Going to look great when it is finished , I agree the colours suit this model.

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 3 years, 5 months ago #42

Gold Boarder
<p>karls wrote:
More importantly (for me!) are the 2 ambulances. They look in great shape except for the headlights. What is your plan for them? Teknos are my main collecting passion!
</p>
<p>Recall there is a thread here where I converted an ambulance to a station wagon.</p>
<p>www.planetdiecast.com/index.php?option=c...p;Itemid=0</p>
<p>The two ambulances in the picture above will probably be preserved rather than fully restored. At least the red and black one will, as there are only a few chips in its red paint and its black paint is almost perfect. The flag is a reproduction part I painted yellow and I have reproduction headlights, bumpers and grille to fit it.</p>
<p>I have two other ambulances that are in worse shape. One of them will get another Code 3, but the fourth may end up only a parts car.</p>
<p>
</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 3 years, 5 months ago #43

Platinum Boarder
These really are nice models.

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 3 years, 3 months ago #44

Gold Boarder
<p>I'm glad to report that I've finally completed this. I'm not completely happy with the end result but I'm happy enough.</p>
<p>Instead of trying to paint the chrome trim on this time, I opted to use Bare-Metal Foil. A bit brighter than it should be but not a bad look. I put the original window back in but may use a replacement from modelcars.nl at some point in the future. I'll try for better photos tomorrow.</p>
<p>I apologize for taking so long with this code 3. I have a few more in progress that will require some fabrication work and which should keep me entertained during the winter.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 3 years, 3 months ago #45

You did well on this resto. The BMF on the trims are looking very good