Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 1 year, 4 months ago #16

Expert Boarder
<p>Nobleco wrote:
So this base has not been blued then, just penetrating oil? Nice color on this side of the screen, dark bronze I think I would call it.
</p>
<p>No no, it has been blued. After bluing I put a coat of penetrating oil on the entire chassis as I was concerned that moisture might work its way between (or not be completely removed after neutralizing the bluing solution) the inside of the chassis and the suspension.</p>
<p>Here's a repost of the earlier photo of the inside of the chassis before bluing, which shows the relationship between suspension and chassis and the locations where moisture could be trapped.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>I let the penetrating oil sit undisturbed on the chassis for a week before buffing off what little remained.</p>
<p> </p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 4 months ago by lark6.

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 1 year, 4 months ago #17

Platinum Boarder
<p>Nobleco wrote:
The kit is for sale on eBay There must be sport shops in Amsterdam or maybe nearer to you that would sell it. I know Gun Laws are strict in the EU and the UK but there are still hunters and also shooting clubs so they might be able to help you out too. I for one would like a kit and will look in town on Tuesday. I think our local Home Hardware would sell them. From what I see on Lark6's post, it comes out black.
<br /><br />Own research found a kit on EBay in the uk for £20.45 free post, and when you consider that just one bottle is half the price a whole kit makes perfect sense to me.<br /><br />It is just a pity I still have the rust convertor to use up if I buy this.</p>

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 1 year, 4 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
To combat moisture that may be trapped I use my toaster oven on about 150°F for 15 to 20 minutes, sometimes longer as I can forget about it. After I use the vinegar and have scrubbed it with my brass wire brush under running hot water it goes into the toaster oven. After that I use the brass brush wheel on my bench drill press and polish the base. Usually come out quite shiny and smooth. That is when I would use the blueing, while it is still warm to the touch.

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 1 year, 3 months ago #19

Expert Boarder
<p>Some updates are in order. First, the axles and wheels reattached to the chassis and shod with new tires.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>The body was masked off and the lighter color painted in Ford Wimbledon White automotive enamel.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Then I unmasked the body and set it on the chassis just for these photos.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Next up: masking and painting the lower body color. Will I do it in the original red or make a change? Stay tuned...</p>
<p> </p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by lark6.

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 1 year, 3 months ago #20

Platinum Boarder
That grey primer is deceiving. it looks blue/grey in one photos and light grey in the other.

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 1 year, 3 months ago #21

looking good so far......make it blue!
The following user(s) said Thank You: lark6

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 1 year, 3 months ago #22

Platinum Boarder
I agree, blue would be a very nice color for this bus. Not too dark mind you.

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 1 year, 3 months ago #23

Platinum Boarder
How did you neutralize the bluing solution? Could you show me the exact order as I have picked up the kit also.

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 1 year, 3 months ago #24

Platinum Boarder
I did not neutralize any bluing I have done in the past. I have not tried the bluing I bought last month yet and If I remember, you just rub in on and wipe it off with a cloth. I believe the longer you leave it on the darker it gets before you wipe it off.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 1 year, 3 months ago #25

Expert Boarder
<p>For those of you who wished to see the lower body in blue, your wish has been granted!</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>The blue I've chosen is a factory Mercedes-Benz color, DB-335 Mercedes Blue. It was used on cars and trucks and, most appropriately, on trucks used by the factory.</p>
<p>
</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by lark6.

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 1 year, 3 months ago #26

Expert Boarder
<p>Here it is unmasked and test mounted on the chassis. I did an initial wet sanding but I'll need to polish out the overspray, particularly when capillary action drew the blue paint up into the white window frames.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 1 year, 3 months ago #27

Platinum Boarder
Nicely done and the blue suits this van. I have the same problem with paint creeping up into the crevasses and having to be touched up. Bit of a pain but if you don't press the tape down really well, it happens.

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 1 year, 3 months ago #28

Platinum Boarder
Very nice colour combination, it will look very smart when completed.

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 1 year, 1 month ago #29

Expert Boarder
<p>Well it's been a while since I've posted and things have taken a turn for the worse.  I was finishing up the trim on the 541 using a Molotow chrome pen and Tamiya masking tape when the tape lifted a sizable chunk of the paint and primer from the body, straight down to the metal.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Tamiya tape doesn't usually do this, and when other masking tapes have lifted paint, it was neither this much nor in such a conspicuous location (e.g., the little nick you can see on the rear bumper). Now I don't know whether I should try to mask this rectangle off and respray the primer and paint, mask it off and paint it by hand with a brush, or strip the entire bus and start from square one.  I'd really hate to do the last option as it's taken me literally months to get to this point - plus I'm not sure if I can get to this point again.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My work schedule doesn't allow me the time with this hobby that I'd like, and now my health has become a factor. Earlier this week I received a preliminary diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis in my hands, which is limiting my mobility and pretty much leaving me in constant low-to-mid-level pain. This may be the last diecast I restore/code 3 for a long time, so I'd like to try to blend this bare rectangle in the best I can.</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 1 month ago by lark6.

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 1 year, 1 month ago #30

Platinum Boarder
This is not a good thing when it happens. I don't know why it would unless there was something on the metal when you primered and it let go.
I think if I were you I would try to mask it off and prime and paint just the damaged area. If done well you will not see it.
Good luck with your Bus and with your hands. I will probably have a similar diagnosis in the future as I can already feel the stiffness in both my hands. Probably due to being a carpenter most of my life and abusing my hands so much.