Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz

Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 4 years, 9 months ago #1

Gold Boarder
<p>I picked up an original Dinky 541 (not Atlas) on eBay and decided to have a go at a restoration. This bus didn't look too bad and may have been a better candidate for preservation.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>It has a badly cracked window that can't be restored.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Its chassis has significant rust and the wheels are a bit rusty as well, as we can see upon disassembly.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Now let's get those tires off those wheels and place that chassis into some rust remover solution...</p>
Last Edit: 4 years, 9 months ago by lark6.

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 4 years, 9 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Replacement window unit is available for this Mercedes. Yes, it is rusty but nothing vinegar won't fix up. I let on like that soak over night. Those look like tin pressed hubs like what is on the AEC articulated Esso Tanker. I will be watching this restoration progress.

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 4 years, 9 months ago #3

Gold Boarder
<p>After an hour in Krud Kutter rust remover, things are looking much better. However, the black chassis color has been removed along with the rust, which would lead me to believe that the finish wasn't painted on but rather some sort of oxided or anodized finish. I'll have to think about how best to replicate that.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>There's also a bit of rust still remaining on the wheels, so back in the solution they will go.</p>

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 4 years, 9 months ago #4

Gold Boarder
<p>Nobleco wrote:
Replacement window unit is available for this Mercedes. Yes, it is rusty but nothing vinegar won't fix up. I let on like that soak over night. Those look like tin pressed hubs like what is on the AEC articulated Esso Tanker. I will be watching this restoration progress.
</p>
<p>I have the replacement window unit as well as a set of replacement tires, set aside until time for reassembly.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 4 years, 9 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Now that it is apart I can see that it has the spun and chromed French Dinky hubs.
Looks to me as though there is still a lot of rust pitting your solution did not get off. Interesting.
I think the base was treated to something they used on Dinky and other toys. James (Gunnerjim) could speak to that better than I but I think it has something like a Gun Bluing on it in black. Sort of a stain they used on the metal to keep it from rusting instead of paint. I have seen this before but I have just used black paint to replace it or if the base was good enough, I did not touch it.

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 4 years, 9 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
<p>I just wanted to show you what Vinegar does on a RR base plate. Hope you don't mind me popping it in here. You can see the before and after in the below pictures. This was regular household vinegar and I let it soak probably 24 hours. I then use my wire wheel on it but that is later. You can see the paint flakes that get left behind, therefore the wire wheel.
</p>
<p>Click on the picture for a larger version.</p>
Last Edit: 4 years, 9 months ago by Nobleco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lark6

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 4 years, 9 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
<p>Nobleco wrote:
I think the base was treated to something they used on Dinky and other toys. James (Gunnerjim) could speak to that better than I but I think it has something like a Gun Bluing on it in black. Sort of a stain they used on the metal to keep it from rusting instead of paint. I have seen this before but I have just used black paint to replace it or if the base was good enough, I did not touch it.
<br /><br />Could be a type of rust convertor, I have one I purchased from auto store.</p>
Last Edit: 4 years, 9 months ago by 143Madness.

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 4 years, 9 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
In reference to the household Vinegar, does the smell not linger and what is the difference between this and White Vinegar?

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 4 years, 9 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
White Vinegar is the same as Household vinegar. it is NOT Pickling vinegar used for preserving food. You can also get a stronger vinegar at the grocery store that is not pickling vinegar.
I guess my sense of smell is shot as it never bothers me. Worked around too many chemicals etc over my life and don't have much of a sense of smell anymore. I have to stick my nose right in there to smell anything now.
If you have an old chip dip container or any other plastic container that will hold the item you want and let it be submerged that will work. Then put the lid on and check the next morning. I was it off with hot water and sometime use my wire brush on them. I have also got a metal dish that is enameled like what doctors used to use that is good for base plates. you might still be able to find them in boot sales or garage sales or second hand stores.
A gallon for about $4.50 Cdn and it lasts me months.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 4 years, 9 months ago #10

Gold Boarder
<p>After removing the rust I decided to try using a home gun bluing kit I bought at an outdoors store.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>After following the kit directions I buffed the chassis with a gun cleaning cloth included in the kit. The gun cloth is impregnated with some sort of preservative oil. I followed that with a buffing with a dry cloth to remove as much residue left by the gun cloth as possible. While not as dark or as uniform as I'd like, I think it looks more accurate than a coat of black paint.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>At any rate I'm going to go with this finish for now.</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 4 years, 9 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
I agree with you in that it looks much better than paint. It actually looks aged now that I see it. I have some blueing that I used on an old cast iron wood home garbage burner years ago. I have an old base plate too so should find it and try it out. Thanks for the info.

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 4 years, 9 months ago #12

That is a great solution!. I can't recall seeing that Perma blue over here in NL.... but I am not into guns, so I think I shall never come across it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lark6

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 4 years, 9 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
The kit is for sale on eBay for $18.00 to $30.00 but shipping is a killer. Most say they won't ship to Canada so they probably don't ship overseas either.
There must be sport shops in Amsterdam or maybe nearer to you that would sell it. I know Gun Laws are strict in the EU and the UK but there are still hunters and also shooting clubs so they might be able to help you out too. I for one would like a kit and will look in town on Tuesday. I think our local Home Hardware would sell them.
I just called Home Hardware here and they have 2 bottles of the gun blue. I don't need the rest of the kit as I would be using it on a clean base. stripped of rust and paint and degreased. I have the steel wool and I also have soft cotton cloths for the job. One bottle here in Canada costs $17.95 plus taxes so about $20.00. I have had one put aside for me. I have looked into this before but it was for my wood stove/garbage burner I used to have. It worked well on that but it was not true black. More of a blue color. From what I see on Lark6's post, it comes out black.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 4 years, 8 months ago #14

Gold Boarder
<p>RoutemasterNL wrote:
That is a great solution!. I can't recall seeing that Perma blue over here in NL.... but I am not into guns, so I think I shall never come across it.
</p>
<p>I can't say that I'm into guns either. I did inherit a Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk 1 from my grandfather but that's it.</p>
<p>I was away on business last week so there's not much progress to report. I did treat the blued chassis with a penetrating oil to inhibit any future rust development on or under the suspension and left it standing for a week. Here's what the finish looks like now after buffing away the excess penetrating oil.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>You can also see that I've stripped the body and filed away some of the casting flash.</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky 541 Petit Autocar Mercedes-Benz 4 years, 8 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
So this base has not been blued then, just penetrating oil? Nice color on this side of the screen, dark bronze I think I would call it. Nice work on the body as I don't see where you filed the flash off. Will have to go look at the other pictures now.

I bough a bottle of Blue at our local Hardware Store. BB Guns and Air pistols and also made of gun stock and are blued at the factory. I used to own a British Enfield single shot 22 rifle but as all my permits expired I gave it to my buddy. I did not have any use for it anymore. Had it from about 1979, kept raccoons etc out our the orchard I was living on at the time. I now have my fathers pellet gun, I remember it from when I was about 8 years old so it is almost as old as I am. Still works perfectly too. It has a blued barrel too.