Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: The Low Loader Load

Re: The Low Loader Load 2 years, 2 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
<p>Anyway, the parts blasted and primed.</p>
<p>
closest gas station around me</p>
<p>And sprayed. I had my thoughts about which part I should spray in which colour, but I think I did the right thing: the cabin in metallic green so it suits the truck and trailer. The lower parts in silver, to suit the lower part of the truck.</p>
<p>
vault22</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

Re: The Low Loader Load 2 years, 2 months ago #17

Platinum Boarder
<p>Note the mechanism was masked/wrapped up, and also the little plastic part on the gripper lid. This is sealed into a small hole, so I left it. The complete unit was not sandblasted, as that would not be wise, and the mechanism could be affected.</p>

Re: The Low Loader Load 2 years, 2 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
<p>Especially for Jim.......</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p>
</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: The Low Loader Load 2 years, 2 months ago #19

Platinum Boarder
<p>Those pictures were taken in Nov of 2010. I do remember that the mechanism did work fine. I can only assume that it was normal wear and tear on the gears that made them that way. I don't know if it had ever been turned backwards. If it had I would think there would be damage to the flapper tin so show that. I did not have to do anything but clean up that mechanism.</p>
<p>I do like the colors you have chosen for the Cub Shovel. They look good. There is quite a lot of that sort of combo painting on trucks and equipment here in Canada. I used to see that all the time in the Okanagan when I was still in construction.</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: The Low Loader Load 2 years, 2 months ago #20

Platinum Boarder
<p>Turning the knob the wrong way maybe caused the cog wheel to turn loose.</p>
<p>After placing the 'VHS spacer' I oiled the system here and there, and it works fine now. Let me carry on.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

Re: The Low Loader Load 2 years, 2 months ago #21

Platinum Boarder
<p>After closing the system with 3 screws, the wheel unit was placed and the clip pressed on with pliers.</p>
<p>The unit now works, and the cables do not have any function.Still, on a real Priestman they DO function, and therefore they alos have to be there on the Corgi.</p>
<p>I once bought a lot of black elastic cord, I have enough for a few more Priestmans. Here my method.</p>
<p>The wire goes in from the front.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by Keesie.

Re: The Low Loader Load 2 years, 2 months ago #22

Platinum Boarder
<p>Then I took the cord over the high point.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Then I took a metal wire, as you wrap and close plastic bags with. It is easy to lead it from the top hole and out of the lower hole.</p>
<p>
mobil gas station nyc</p>
<p> </p>

Re: The Low Loader Load 2 years, 2 months ago #23

Platinum Boarder
<p>The cord is then tied to the metal wire. I then pull the wire through.</p>
<p>
bmo atm locator</p>

Re: The Low Loader Load 2 years, 2 months ago #24

Platinum Boarder
<p>I do the same with the other end of the cord. I then attach both to a small ring, which is bigger then the lower hole.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>

Re: The Low Loader Load 2 years, 2 months ago #25

Platinum Boarder
<p>The cord I use is very flexible. That is why it does not matter in which position the arm is. I mean, in the lower position the cord is stretched more than when the arm is in the high position. Whenever you do this and use cord which is not very flexible, place the arm in the lower position and secure the cord. When both wires are secured I cut off the remains.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Later I decided to paint the lower guiding wheels in silver (they do not rotate).</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>

Re: The Low Loader Load 2 years, 2 months ago #26

Platinum Boarder
<p>The complete set.</p>
<p>
locate nearest shell gas station</p>
<p> </p>
<p>
nearest guaranty bank</p>
<p>
modified fev</p>
<p>
shell gas station locator by zip code</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: The Low Loader Load 2 years, 2 months ago #27

Platinum Boarder
Very nicely done and great walk through on the cord attachment. I used a similar method for threading the needle so to speak. Does the same job. I see you have a replacement for the original 'stopper' that the toy came with. Here is the before and after on the original model. All the customer wanted was to get this looking and working correctly.

Re: The Low Loader Load 2 years, 2 months ago #28

Platinum Boarder
Another tip is to make sure there is tension enough at the slackest point to keep the cord taught and to have the cone shaped stopper fit tight into the body.

Re: The Low Loader Load 2 years, 2 months ago #29

Platinum Boarder
Kees, you did not show the snap ring that holds the base on to the cab. Did yours bend when you removed it? One of the three of these that I did actually bent and then broke while removing. Fortunately you can get these Metric Push nuts at your local hardware store. You need 6mm x 1.0mm Outside and inside diameter.

Re: The Low Loader Load 2 years, 2 months ago #30

Platinum Boarder
<p>Thanks for those additional pictures Jim. Because there are sometimes technical terms in my stories, and I type them instantly,so I do not look up the English word.</p>
<p>So it is a snap ring.....looked it up, can also be called a circlip. In the ring Corgi used  are three 'teeth' sticking into a light groove of the 'pillar' of the wheel unit. It is placed in the factory and supposed never to get of again....although you cannot really see it, the outer part, the ring itself, is pressed in lower than the teeth. Meaning, the teeth are upwards slightly catching the groove under tension.</p>
<p>Therefore, when you want it to come off, you have to use a certain force to get the teeth in a downwards position.  Anyway, sometimes it stays ok, this one broke on one side. That does not matter really, as there is enough tension to keep the parts together.</p>
<p>Is this the best way Corgi did it? A nut and thread might have been better, but kids would probably take it off, and the model would fall apart. Maybe a clip in a groove would work (I will ook this up after this message).</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>