Dinky 27f Dodge Estate Wagon Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky 27f Dodge Estate Wagon Restoration

Dinky 27f Dodge Estate Wagon Restoration 2 years, 3 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>My latest restoration the Dinky 27f Dodge Estate Car or Station Wagon as we call it in North America.</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky 27f Dodge Estate Wagon 2 years, 3 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
I started this car on a rainy May weekend one week after the May long weekend. In the Commonwealth we celebrate Queen Victoria's birthday which is May 24th. It is always the Monday before that date so this year was May 20. It rained all weekend and I mean it rained. You got soaked to the skin going the 20 feet to my garage to bead blast the toy.
Bought it in March of 2018 for $24.00 us which coming from England is a pretty fair price.
Here we go, as purchased.
You will notice that the tires have melted and sagged really bad. Specially the right front tire.

Re: Dinky 27f Dodge Estate Wagon 2 years, 3 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
the base is second issue as the first did not have 27f stamped in it, they both had the frame rails though. Later issues were the 344 and they did not have the frame rails.
I took it apart for cleaning and had a time with the one tire that had melted around the hub.

It is pretty easy to take these apart as only one rivet and then the tab at the rear lifts out of the slot my lifting the front on the base until it come out easily.

Re: Dinky 27f Dodge Estate Wagon 2 years, 3 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Some stripping and then bead blasting. I got very wet on the way to the garage, again. I was out earlier doing an Austin Somerset I am still working on.

Now, the Dodge.

Re: Dinky 27f Dodge Estate Wagon 2 years, 3 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
It seems to want to put the pictures in a different order from time to time. The inside shot was last, not first in the set.
Now I have primed and painted the Russet Tan this car came in from the factory.

Re: Dinky 27f Dodge Estate Wagon 2 years, 3 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
I did not take pictures as I did the panels in Chocolate Brown. I do this by hand with a brush, carefully, two coats. I saw no point in showing the car until finished at this point.
I think there is a small spot on the front bumper where the silver paint has not quite covered it and I am not overly happy with the base. During assembly it got some glue on the base as I was installing the rivet and also a bit of silver paint was on the front of the base that did not all come off. I will probably take it apart and redo the base.
Anyway, here it is all done.

The following user(s) said Thank You: lark6

Re: Dinky 27f Dodge Estate Wagon 2 years, 3 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Looks Factory , great job, the first photo's with the rotted tyres also looks great , it gives it that "barn find" look

Re: Dinky 27f Dodge Estate Wagon 2 years, 3 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Andy. Those tires were some of the worst melted tires I have had over the years. Would have been nice in a diorama, as you say Barn Find.

Re: Dinky 27f Dodge Estate Wagon 2 years, 3 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Pancake tyres!!

The front right looks like a puddle on a rainy day, probably down to the wet weather you have been experiencing.

Overall finished looks good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 27f Dodge Estate Wagon 2 years, 3 months ago #10

you brought it back to life. very nice job. I can understand a flat spot, but how does a tyre melt?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 27f Dodge Estate Wagon 2 years, 3 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
I really don't know how this tire got so back but it could be that it sat in the sun on a window ledge for quite a long time but the paint had not faded. Maybe it was a reaction to what ever the car was sitting on or maybe the rubber had some contamination from somewhere that reacted with the rubber in the tire and ended up this way. It was interesting that the rubber was hard as rock when I took them off the hubs. So hard I had to use pliers to break it up and then it did not come out of the groove in the hub. Paint stripper took care of that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL, 143Madness
  • Page: