Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Some Corgi Corvettes

Some Corgi Corvettes 1 year, 9 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>Suddenly I realise I am doing a lot of blue lately.....</p>
<p>Anyway, I also did some Corvettes. I have done many of these before, so for me restoring them is 'a piece of cake'. It might be worthwile to tell you the details though.</p>
<p>Before 1970 Corgi did two variations. Nr 310 is the basic Corvette. It came in red, blue and rare bronze. It has opening headlights. The second version is nr 337, the 'Lazy bones' model. It only came in yellow with a lot of decals, one of the reads 'lazy bones'.</p>

Re: Some Corgi Corvettes 1 year, 9 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
<p>The Lazy Bones (LB) does not have opening headlights, but it does have an engine sticking out if the hood, and chromed sidepipes. Only one type of wheels were used, semi spokes, with welded on plastic tyres.</p>
<p>Both versions were sold well, the plain version a bit more than the LB.</p>
<p>If ever you want to restore one, pay attention to this: the chromed bumpers are one piece, all way around, and alos the suspension ispart of it. This piece is chromed plastic, and if there is a piece of the bumper missing, you better leave it, because a new repro unit is expensive.</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Some Corgi Corvettes 1 year, 9 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
<p>When restoring one type of the two, do NOT buy the other one for parts to use on the fist, because only the window unit is the same in both.</p>
<p>Because I made a lot of pictures before when restoring them, I did not do this this time. I will just show you some essential ones.</p>
<p>This is the inside (already restored) of the LB version.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>The engine clicks into the shell, and you can see the exhausts on both sides. They click into the shell, and as the material is somewhat flexible, this can be done. As you can see, no opening headlights on this one.</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Keesie.

Re: Some Corgi Corvettes 1 year, 9 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
<p>The window unit and interior (no click or glue needed for both) can then be placed. With the LB the only interior colour was red. The sides of the interior touch the exhausts, and therefore the interior of the plain model cannot be used. The interior of the plain model is mostly yellow, some very light yellow. For people who only have one of the two interiors, the most striking is that the plan version has a simulated golf-bag on the rear shelf, the LB version does not.</p>
<p>Here the window and interior are placed, and an intact bumper/suspension unit placed.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Some Corgi Corvettes 1 year, 9 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
<p>Although the suspension is intact (mostly the plastic parts break off), it is quite weak on this one. Therefore I place either a flat steel or curtain blind inside. When you do a lot these, it is quite handy to make several of these units on forehand.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Some Corgi Corvettes 1 year, 9 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
<p>Note I drilled a hole in the curtain blind at the hood. On the base an upright pillar sticks through this. It will hold the engine in place.</p>
<p>Here some baseplates. Done in gray primer, and than a clear coat makes them look good.</p>
<p>
regions bank branch near me</p>
<p>On the left the plain version, on the right the LB. The wheels of the plain one can be put on the LB, but the wheels of LB cannot go on the plain one, due to the width of the axles.</p>

Re: Some Corgi Corvettes 1 year, 9 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
<p>Here the LB version.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
www woodforest com locations</p>
<p> </p>

Re: Some Corgi Corvettes 1 year, 9 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
<p>And here the plain one.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>As you can see the hood does not show the engine, but two chromed air intakes. This is a complete flat plastic unit, placed from the inside.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

Re: Some Corgi Corvettes 1 year, 9 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
<p>Here the three models I finished yesterday.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Some Corgi Corvettes 1 year, 9 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
<p>In addition to all this.....</p>
<p>Ok, I sandblasted a lot,  a bunch of Commers, Corvettes, Volvo's, and more to come soon.</p>
<p>When I start rebuilding, I just take a part out of a box which reads 'Corvette parts' or such. In the end, I always end up with one incomplete model. Still, I want to complete that last one as well.</p>
<p>Right now I have a Corvette LB shell. The engine came loose of the exhausts, so that is done, as is a vaccuum formed window unit. The thing missing is the bumper/suspension unit. As I have some leftover parts from the plain Corvette, I am trying to adjust some parts.....</p>

Re: Some Corgi Corvettes 1 year, 9 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Good thing all your parts are well organised like I'm getting my workspace together now..

Just need to stick stickers and label all the parts as are now in the appropriate spaces.

was thinking of doing a corvette at sometime a bit like member 'gglad' 's as a bit of an inspiration for me.

Re: Some Corgi Corvettes 1 year, 8 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Do those chromed air intakes come in a separate piece to the bumper/suspension unit?

What are the tyres used predominantly also on this type of corgi car?

Re: Some Corgi Corvettes 1 year, 8 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
<p>Glad you like the models.</p>

Re: Some Corgi Corvettes 1 year, 8 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
<p>Yes, the part shows as TWO chrome air intakes but underneath it is one piece, held in place by a pillar on the base. Because I have done so many, I tend to forget to explain the obvious or little details. I will look for a picture for that chrome part.</p>
<p>The tyres used on the basic model are rubber, 1.5 mm. The tyres used on the LB version are welded on plastic.</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by Keesie.

Re: Some Corgi Corvettes 1 year, 8 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for that, I have been looking into tired examples and taking into account the many issues be it were a bit and find one with what appears to be a gap through to the wheels where the 'intake' is located.

Many examples' with incomplete bumper/suspension units are discounted, and many damaged window units as they can be expensive to replace or difficult to replicate if a curved screen is the case as on the corvette.

Missing tyres seem to be commonplace too so I will take into account the 1.5mm on theres.

That will be why you rarely see an LB without it's tyres then...very unlike the regular 310 model.