Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Corgi Chrysler Imperial nr 246

Corgi Chrysler Imperial nr 246 1 year, 9 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>As I am restoring a lot of models simultaniously, this can be very handy. When one model is painted, it is left to dry while I work on another. Sometimes I do the same actions to the same models one after the other, and then I really get the feeling tp work in a factory......</p>
<p>These Chrysler Imperials were very well sold, and always broken. They are really everywhere under the tables, and I have quite some in my boxes to be restored. How wierd it is that I actualy never restored and had a dull damaged red one in my cabinet. So, I decided to do several in one go.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>The suspension is steel wire, but loose in the middle, not connected to the base. This seems strange, but once the upper parts are placed, they press onto the central part of the steel wire, and the suspension then works.</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Keesie.

Re: Corgi Chrysler Imperial nr 246 1 year, 9 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
<p>As you can see, the baseplate is all chromed, one piece metal. This is actually quite wierd in several ways. I expected the front and rear bumper to be two separate parts, which is Corgi-style. Also, the complete part is chromed in- and outside, which must have been a costly proces. And what to think of this: instead of leaving the chrome the chrome, they sprayed to complete middle section over in gray!</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Corgi Chrysler Imperial nr 246 1 year, 9 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
<p>The parts in the last picture are already resprayed in red, but I actually finished one in a different colour which I will show you.</p>
<p>The model came in a yellow/blue box, with the model in red on both sides. As far as I know, the model only came in red. However, also a box was done with the model in green......</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>

Re: Corgi Chrysler Imperial nr 246 1 year, 9 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
<p>The car has an opening boot. As the box mentions, there is a surprise, which is a golf cart. The cart came with a click-on bag with golf clubs, the same one as the Ford Cortina with diorama display.</p>
<p>The front opens up and shows a detailed engine, with a small plastic pin leading through it. This pin rests on the suspension, so when this is pressed the hood opens up slightly. Then you can open it completely with your fingernail.</p>
<p>Two figures,  a man and a woman, complete the model, which also has opening doors.</p>

Re: Corgi Chrysler Imperial nr 246 1 year, 9 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
<p>The construction must have been quite a nightmare for Corgi, as there is no real 'bridge' between front and rear. Therefore, the front with engine is rivited in two places on the base. Also it seems the rear is also rivited in two places, but only the centre is. The section at the boot has a sort of small clip (you can actually see this looking at the base)which is meant to connect base and upper shell, but when you open up the model that is a faillure. Still, that central rivet is strong enough to hold the system together.</p>

Re: Corgi Chrysler Imperial nr 246 1 year, 9 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
<p>The model has a lot of parts which can go missing. The couple, golfcart, door glazings, and door innners, upper seat parts and above all the front windshield.</p>
<p>Building the model up is a bit tricky. I found the best way is this.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

Re: Corgi Chrysler Imperial nr 246 1 year, 9 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The door glazings can be made if they are missing, as can the door panels.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>In this case I also found some originals.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Corgi Chrysler Imperial nr 246 1 year, 9 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
<p>
</p>
<p>I sandblasted the base, and  again, non-Corgi, the chrome is of very good quality. In fact, with all the models I ever saw, even with wrecks, I never saw any chrome missing on these. This proves they were capable of doing a good job, but more often they choose for inferior plastic and chrome. Of course in this case, I did NOT repaint the base!</p>

Re: Corgi Chrysler Imperial nr 246 1 year, 9 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
<p>Like with the rear boot lid, the front engine cover is placed from the inside. I choose a repro front windshield. As the glazing is thicker towards the dashboard, it is impossible to make a good one yourself.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Note the small pin through the engine.</p>
<p>
pnc bank open today near me</p>
<p>The steering clicks in from under the dash, and is a bit in the way of the part of the front glazing which clicks into the metal. Luckily the steering is of soft plastic.</p>

Re: Corgi Chrysler Imperial nr 246 1 year, 9 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
<p>This next thing is quite tricky, and I needed both hands, so I could only take this picture......</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Holding the structure with one hand, The front part was placed. However, the engine cover has to stay open in order to hold the small pin in place with a finger.</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Corgi Chrysler Imperial nr 246 1 year, 9 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
<p>The complete model. The golf cart only fits in the rear with one wheel into the lowest part first.</p>
<p>
nearest bp gas station</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>I decided to drill through the engine, and secure the front part bit a small bolt and nut. The central rear part was rivited, and a small screw holding the rear part.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Corgi Chrysler Imperial nr 246 1 year, 9 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>

Re: Corgi Chrysler Imperial nr 246 1 year, 9 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
That's great Keesie. I really enjoyed reading this post.

For a moment I thought you might be making the Bermuda Taxi version but this looks terrific.

Re: Corgi Chrysler Imperial nr 246 1 year, 9 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
<p>Thanks for that CCE. Niced to see the golfcart change places with the girl......of course one of the next ones will be the taxi......</p>

Re: Corgi Chrysler Imperial nr 246 1 year, 9 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Nice walkthrough Kees!

What is the bolt through the engine conver for?
  • Page: