Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky racing cars

Dinky racing cars 1 year, 9 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>Well, although Dinky toys are not really my field, I have some in my collection. I like those Formula racing cars from the fifties, and had several which needed work.</p>
<p>Because I did several at he same time, I should not mix up the baseplates.......</p>
<p>First of all, here  an Alfa Romeo.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>I wil show this one again when it is complete.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Dinky racing cars 1 year, 9 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
<p>Here a Maserati.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

Re: Dinky racing cars 1 year, 9 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
<p>As you can see, it is easy to mix up things......</p>
<p>Here a Ferrari.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
where is the closest shell station</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

Re: Dinky racing cars 1 year, 9 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
<p>A Talbot Lago.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
suntrust locations open on sunday</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

Re: Dinky racing cars 1 year, 9 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
<p>The wheels on all of those are the same, but be aware, some axles are longer then others. On most of the models insides are the names of the models, only not on the Ferrari. Some models were resprayed, others just needed the baseplate done.</p>
<p>Here some pictures of all the models I did together.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
exxon gas station near me now</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, karls, 143Madness

Re: Dinky racing cars 1 year, 9 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
That Talbot baseplate looks 'ready rough' what did you treat it to?

I see the one black tyre that doesn't go with the alfa in the pics and that you have re-painted the Ferarri and changed those mismatched red wheel centres on the Talbot.

Not unusual to find one of these that needs a bit of work!

Re: Dinky racing cars 1 year, 9 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
<p>Thanks, the baseplate of the Talbot was very rusty, and the text was hardly visable. I used the dremel tp  get most rust off. There were some with dried out tyres so I replaced them.</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Dinky racing cars 1 year, 9 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
<p>I will say you did a good job. It can be a bit if a pain if you take them all apart and don't put them in their own boxes to keep all parts together. I even see the Speed of the Wind in the line up. Nice and that was one of my first in the race cars. I had them all when I was a kid but only ended up with the Ferrari, Cooper-Bristol and the Maserati years later.</p>
<p>Dried out tires is common with the older series. You have one, 23k Talbot Lago. The later issue is the 230. I have both sets, early and late and am working on getting the set in Spun hubs. It also came with plastic hubs near the end of Dinky production. The hubs were usually color coordinated with the body color. I know you do your own thing when it comes to painting models and don't just do a copy of the original most times. Saying that the Ferrari had 2 different noses. One was all round and the other was a V shape. You can see it in the casting. If no V and no line for full nose then it was a full nose early car. Just some trivia off the top of my head.</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Nobleco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Dinky racing cars 1 year, 9 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Jim. Compared to Corgi, the advantage with these Dinkies is that you can't loose the driver.....
As I do have a Force Dinky book, I could have looked up how they originally looked, but you figured I did not do that. The wheels on these (seem) all metal.
The speed of the wind silver model came (I think) without a baseplate before WW2, this one has a baseplate, so it from after the war.
I closed all these models with rivets. Corgi has thinner stands so therefore similar Corgi models could nver be rivited.

Re: Dinky racing cars 1 year, 9 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
The first Speed of the Wind #23e had a base plate as all of them did. Pre-War the base plate was crimped into place with 8 little crimps. 2 at the front and 2 at the rear and 2 on either side between the tires. The other 2 styles of base plate were riveted as yours is. The first 2 had detail of the transmission and drive train on the base plate. The last issue was 1953/54 and then on to 1957 when it was discontinued and did not have the transmission etc on the base. The first 2 had small lettering but the last one was black and had large lettering and the number 23E. Hope that helps you out. Also, seems that sometimes the underside of the base plate was also painted the color of the model before it was crimped into place. They were always silver base plates until the change in 1953/54 when all the numbers but this one and a few others got updates.

Re: Dinky racing cars 1 year, 9 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
<p>Well well, see, you know more about Dinky than I do......thought the Speed of the wind model did not have a baseplate before WW2, also because the axles lead through the model.</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Keesie.

Re: Dinky racing cars 1 year, 9 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
<p>Here is the early base plate. The arrows show where the crimps are. If you have one missing a base plate then it should show the peening marks from holding the base in place. This first base did not have Speed of the Wind engraved in it.
Next is the standard base plate that you would have. There are posts for the base plate to sit on. If you don't have them then it is pre-war issue. This issue had a domed rivet.
The late base plate was last of course, was flat and has dimpled rivets and Large Lettering.
</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Nobleco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Dinky racing cars 1 year, 9 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
The axle went through the body in all cases above. It was never a through the base plate application. Early were crimped but in about 1954 or so they went to domed axles ends as most of them are of that era. You can also see the difference in tires used on this model. I believe first issue and the later issue were both using Herringbone 20mm tires. The last issue used the regular 20mm round tread that most of us are familiar with for the use on trucks and the F1 Racers.

Re: Dinky racing cars 1 year, 9 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
<p>Thanks for all that information, that is quite a history about that model.</p>
<p>Here a picture of mine (restored).</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky racing cars 1 year, 9 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
<p>Hello Gcladd, thanks for watching, your opinion please...?</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Keesie.
  • Page: