Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Paint bottles

Paint bottles 1 year, 9 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>A lot happened these days.......</p>
<p>I had planned to do a complex model for a customer. He asked me at the end of last year, and because I do not do much restoring in winter, I had several months to get all the components and parts together for this project.</p>
<p>One thing I had trouble with was the right paint. I needed a kind of light blue, and I just could not find it. Then, we went shopping in the city nearby last week, so I was not actually looking for paint, it was just there !!!!!! There is a shop which just sells all sort of stuff, and I remember about 5 years ago they had a bulk lot of paint, mostly from Motip, so not he cheapest. Well, they had a bulk again, so besides the blue I  needed, I bought 8 more bottles with various colours.</p>

Re: Paint bottles 1 year, 9 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
<p>As I sandblasted a lot of models last week, I had the perfect combination: a lot of models in primer, and a lot of paint bottles!</p>
<p>However, I wanted to finish some older bottles first. I will tell you later about these models, but now for the paint.</p>
<p>Some older bottles were ok, some did not spray anymore. Time for some investigation.</p>
<p>When I use a spray bottle, I try to do several models in one go. When done, I will take of the spray cap and place it on a different bottle. When you spray 'in the air' first for a second, the previous used colour is gone, and I can then start with the new lot.</p>

Re: Paint bottles 1 year, 9 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
The advantage in doing this is that I save spray caps. They tend to fill up with paint inside, and when dried up then you cannot use them anymore, even when there is still paint in the can.

Re: Paint bottles 1 year, 9 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
<p>So, I had one bottle which was UNUSED, and so it was still filled up. There were two more about half empty. All from Motip, and no paint came out. I examined the text on the bottom of the bottles, and besides some codes, it reads"EXP......." This means expiry date. It could be that the paint still works after this date, but then you are lucky. In my case there was one which read: "EXP 37/10", This means after week 37 in 2010 it could be that the bottle no longer works.</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Keesie.

Re: Paint bottles 1 year, 9 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
<p>Well, that is 8 to 9 years ago already. Another one expired in 2013, and (unlucky me) the unused one only expired last year.</p>
<p>I decided to contact Motip, left a message on the site twice, but there was no reply. So I decided to ring them. First I mentioned I left a message twice without any reply. Typical in the world today, companies as well (.....) do not have much respect for their customers: the person I spoke to did not say she would sort it out, nor was there an excuse. I was just transferred to the next person once I said it was about paint bottles. Told the next one the same story, same result.......</p>
<p>Anyway, I explained what was on the bottles and that they dit not work. She confirmed that the bottles were out of date and therefore no longer working.</p>
<p>When a bottle is produced, the expiry date is most of the time 10 years in the future. When it is produced it is not in the shop straight away, and not sold either. It can maybe take a year or more before it is sold. Therefore, suppose you want to use the complete bottle over a year or so, then it is no problem. However, when you have the feeling it will take you longer before you finish it, you better check the bottom.......</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Paint bottles 1 year, 9 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
What you are about to read completely disappeared from my screen when I went to post. GONE>... I hit my back button, top of the window and then opened up the Quick Reply screen I had been in and there it all was. I copied and am now going to paste it.

I just took a look at my spray cans of spray bombs we sometimes call them. There are codes on the bottom like lot numbers, line numbers batch numbers etc and maybe a time code but no expiry date that I can see unless it is in full code. Not like your cans with EXP and a date.
I have had the same problem with the nozzle clogging up in the past and even this past winter. Most cans say on them in the clean up section to turn them upside down and spray until clear comes out (No Paint). This clears not only the nozzle but the tube that goes to the bottom of the can. Other cans don't say that as it is more of a closed system from what I have found out. Seems the old nozzles will let air into the top of the can where they insert and they also leave a bit of paint around the pin or tube that goes into the can. Take a look and I bet your nozzles have a slice or notch out of them. That is where the paint leaks into the top of the can.
What I have done when this happens is I use a nail or similar and insert it into the can while holding it upside down. This will spray Hard, anything that is blocking the valve. Works sometimes but not all times.
Other nozzles do not require you to turn the can upside down and spray out the paint until it is clear. They have a different system. Then there are the ones that will spray any angle even upside down and not clog or run out of paint. That is a different system again. Not the same as the marking paint used on job sites and for layout on the ground or making a highway after an accident. They only spray when upside down. Clear them by turning the can right way up and put the valve. Best to use a cloth to catch the paint though.
I still have paint cans that will not spray every now and then and they are maddening specially when they are only a few months old. It does happen but only with some paints to I try not to by that brand of black or white anymore. The grey primer I used to use had a formula change and it came out all thin and runny so I stopped buying that too. When I talked to the paint guy at the hardware store where I bought it he said,Yes, the changed the formula and then removed it from the market all together. Thanks Home Hardware, It used to be a really good primer, same for their white and black gloss paints. All different now so I have been buying Automotive paints instead.

Re: Paint bottles 1 year, 9 months ago #7

Senior Boarder
Has anybody painted with paints from Steve Flowers?
What is the best thinner for these paints?

Re: Paint bottles 1 year, 9 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
<p>Jim, I have that too, 'spontanious' typing dissappearing. Still, I cannot put myself to making a story in Word first, and then copy it to PD.</p>
<p>Probably your codes do refer to dates, it is just....well, they are codes. I have something similar with the alarm boxes I place with the elderly people here. I now know how old each device is, and when it is time to replace it.</p>
<p>I never turn my bottles upside down (and then spray for a second). They say that way you keep the paint out of the nozzle, but as I said, the way I do it I save up nozzles.</p>
<p>I seldom buy expensive bottles, unless a customer wants a specific colour. So therefore, spraying let's say 4 or 5 models with a bottle, I just think by myself I got my money out of it, no matter how much paint is still in the bottle.</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Keesie.

Re: Paint bottles 1 year, 9 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
I took a can of spray paint apart years and years ago after it was done. Just sawed it in half with a hack saw. There is a tube from the underside of the nozzle to the bottom of the can. That was hard with paint. You have to turn ours over and spray out not just the nozzle but the whole tube too. There is enough propellant to do the can twice so you don't have to worry about not having enough. My can that I took apart was not finished but I could not get anything more out of it due to the tube being clogged and you can't unclog that. I have been turning mine over since the late 1960's when I cut my can apart. Got paint every where but at least I was smart enough at 18 to cover it up with a thick cloth. Ground and my hands go lots of paint when I cut the can. It was interesting to say the least. Nozzles still clog up and I save some of my old ones too.

Don't use Word to type up a story or your going to get loads of HTML. Use NOTE PAD or similar. Something simple that puts no extra text in. Or do what I do and just copy the text before you post. Highlight it all and use Ctrl+C and then you have it if the site messes up.

Re: Paint bottles 1 year, 9 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
<p>rivera wrote:
Has anybody painted with paints from Steve Flowers? What is the best thinner for these paints?
</p>
<p>I have been using Steve's paints since about 2006 or so. I find that any house hold thinner or Turpentine work well but for best results I find Mineral Sprits to be the cleanest and does a really good job. I dilute about 30% to 50% depending on the color. Dark colors more thinners, light colors less thinners and more coats. Yellow is really hard to do with out white primer and about 4 or more coats.</p>

Re: Paint bottles 1 year, 9 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Besides, Rivera, You should know to just pop off an email to me for questions like that. I am here to not just sell my parts but to help anyone who needs it.

Re: Paint bottles 1 year, 9 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
<p>Gee, we have been told never to cut into paint cans!</p>
<p>because of all this mumbo jumbo with paint bottles, first I took the ones that did not work into to shop today. They just gave me new ones!</p>
<p>I checked the codes underneath, and they all expire around 2023. So they were probably made about 5 years ago.</p>
<p>I went home and then examined my complete collection of cans. The oldest ones were two, which expired in.......2009 !!!!! So they were probably made 10 years before that, which is 1999!!!! I tried them both, and gues what: THEY WORKED PERFECTLY!!!!</p>
<p>Normally I do not show unfinished models, but I just have to show you the results with these 20 year old bottles.......</p>
<p>
google maps nearest gas station</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Paint bottles 1 year, 9 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
<p>Jim, I am not really bothered, or lazy to investigate in typing a text before actually placing it. Call it spontanious........</p>

Re: Paint bottles 1 year, 9 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
I don't use any other program to type my messages out wither they are short or long. If long though I have learned that to copy is to save just in case. the back button and opening up Quick Reply or which ever way you were posting does not always work but most times it is successful. We all get used to our on methods and not all methods will work for all as we are in different countries and have differences in out computers and monitors.

Re: Paint bottles 1 year, 9 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
<p>Your method of spraying quite a few at a time is interesting. Only time I have done a single color like that with many models is way back in 2008/09 when I did the Toy Collector 50 Van/car/bus/trailer lot for the site.</p>
<p>Turning back to your spay cans, I like the colors and nice to hear that old cans still work for you. I have some out in the basement that we (my wife mostly) bought when we moved in here almost 12 years ago now and they still work. It was new cans that clogged up on me and when If found out that the formula had changed, which changed the paint and the nozzle, I changed brands and am very happy with Krylon, Plastikote or Rust-oleum. Just depends on the color I need as to the brand I buy. I still have my 74 colors from Steve Flowers, 25 or so Humbrol tins and maybe 60 jars of Testors and some that are Testors Master Master acryl Waterbased paints. maybe 12 jars of that.</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Nobleco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness
  • Page: