Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky 414 Dodge Tipper

Dinky 414 Dodge Tipper 1 year, 9 months ago #1

Senior Boarder
<p>Well, here comes my Dinky restoration No.2:</p>
<p>a Dodge Tipper 414 bought with three other models as a lot.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Someone tried to repair a broken tipper hinge with some wire slung around.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>After paint stripping with caustic soda I repaired the broken hinge post with some sheet plastic. I carefully sawed a slot into the tipper bed to get a better mount for the hinge. I aslo had to cover up the hole for the wire.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

Re: Dinky 414 Dodge Tipper 1 year, 9 months ago #2

Senior Boarder
I ordered a replacement wire for the tipper action and used a pop rivet wire as a hinge wire.

Last weekend I bought a box full of rivets in many sizes at a classic car fair.
There ares some rivts included which look almost like the original Dinky ones.
Will use them for these projects.

Re: Dinky 414 Dodge Tipper 1 year, 9 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
<p>Nice repair on the tipper hinge. I have a welding method I use for such repairs. It is the same "solder" and flux used in installing air conditioners. They have an aluminum cooling radiator that attaches to Copper piping that runs to the furnace area. It is soldered in using a special solder and liquid flux that is very very flamable. You have to use a good heat gun to melt the solder and have the metal hot enough to take it to make the "Weld". I have used it here if you look up the Dinky 660 Mighty Antar Tank Transporter or the Large Dinky 626 Ambulance with rear doors. Both were repaired that way so you can see what I did. www.planetdiecast.com/index.php?option=c...;amp;Itemid=18#15949 If you scroll down in the above thread you will find the repair on the 626 ambulance.</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky 414 Dodge Tipper 1 year, 9 months ago #4

Senior Boarder
The finished model.
I used automotive spray cans and new tires.

Re: Dinky 414 Dodge Tipper 1 year, 9 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Great work it looks brand new

Re: Dinky 414 Dodge Tipper 1 year, 9 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
I agree with Andy. Great job. Are you using a chrome paint for the grille? Bright and shiny. The Blue is a great color for this truck too. It was never that color from the factory but why not???

Re: Dinky 414 Dodge Tipper 1 year, 9 months ago #7

Senior Boarder
I had this color from a 1961 350 cc Norton Navigator I recently restored.
Called capri blue.

I am using an Edding silver paint marker for the grilles and headlights, looks almost like chrome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lark6
  • Page: