Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Corgi Ford Consul 200M

Corgi Ford Consul 200M 1 year, 9 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>This was the very first Corgi Toys ever made. As can be read in the bible it was sold i n the shops on July 2, 1956.</p>
<p>Some of the motorized versions had their 'own' colour. There were a few models sprays in green, like this one. As I have an original untouched green M version in my collection, this one was in my to do box.</p>
<p>Although it did not look too bad, the motor did not work, because the rear axle and securing part were gone.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>

Re: Corgi Ford Consul 200M 1 year, 9 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
<p>
</p>
<p>Here the base of the consul and a donor Bedford.</p>

Re: Corgi Ford Consul 200M 1 year, 9 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
<p>Just in case you might think it is a pity to break the Bedford, here is the inside......</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>

Re: Corgi Ford Consul 200M 1 year, 9 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
<p>The inside mechanism of the Bedford was gone, so I took of the cover-plate, which is sealed into the base by two pins. Mostly one or both pins break when you take it off.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Here the part is off, which holds the rear axle in place.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Corgi Ford Consul 200M 1 year, 9 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
<p>The rear axle with the M models is not round but square, so the little sprocket wheel does not slip (the centre hole of the wheel is square as well). The wheel and axle were a bit rusty, so I cleaned them.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>As the axle of the Bedford is slightly longer than the Consul one, I held the axle with a pair of grip-plyers, and slightly hammered one of the wheels inwards with a rubber hammer. It does not matter which wheel you hammer on, as the sprocket wheel can slide on the axle, and will be in the right place when the axle is placed.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Keesie.

Re: Corgi Ford Consul 200M 1 year, 9 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
<p>When the system worked freely, I cleaned the wheels to be very shiny. The tyres were put (attention, they cannot be put on after the model is closed....).</p>
<p>The cover plate was then glued on.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>

Re: Corgi Ford Consul 200M 1 year, 9 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
<p>Great, the engine is working again! The ball was painted lightly.</p>
<p>vball
</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Keesie.

Re: Corgi Ford Consul 200M 1 year, 9 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
<p>The wheels polished, front lights, grille and bumpers repainted. I decided not to touch the green, because it isn't that bad, and as I said, this colour was chosen by Corgi for the M version.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

Re: Corgi Ford Consul 200M 1 year, 9 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Nicely done and thanks for the walk through. These Corgi Engines are great and I think you have done a few on here before. Nice to see an old model come back to life but the first Corgi Toy is special.

Re: Corgi Ford Consul 200M 1 year, 9 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Really interesting to see the motors in these , I don't have any of this type so seeing one opened up is great, good to see that you have managed to keep the paint worl original.

Re: Corgi Ford Consul 200M 1 year, 9 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
<p>It sure looks like this car has a window unit in it. I did some checking and it turns out that Corgi, in 1954 when they did these models at the beginning of their run, decided to put windows in their cars. Billed as "The First With Windows" as was to compete with Dinky Toys but with that difference. Then came the second version with motors. They were the Ford Consul, Austin Cambridge, Morris Cowley, Vauxhall Velox, Rover 90, Hillman Husky and the Riley Pathfinder.</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Corgi Ford Consul 200M 1 year, 9 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
<p>This is the first Corgi. I have one.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by chaccamacca.

Re: Corgi Ford Consul 200M 1 year, 9 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
<p>Thanks Andy and Jim. Indeed from this first one on a windows unit was added. The first nine models came in either plain, motorized, and a few years later in two-tone. It is all explained in the Corgi bible, and also in the 3 part film: "The wonderful world of Corgi".</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco
  • Page: