Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sandblasting day

Re: Sandblasting day 1 year, 11 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
Readily available from Automotive restoration sites.

Often used for stripping body shells and panels as it is a lot more forgiving than sand or grit.

For smaller jobs Baking soda can be used.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Sandblasting day 1 year, 11 months ago #17

Platinum Boarder
<p>Part of the lot in primer today.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Sandblasting day 1 year, 11 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
I don't lose any detail off the castings when I blast with the glass bead. It does heat up the casting like any blasting will do. I used to do industrial blasting out on the prairies. It was a black volcanic sand that came from the USA and I blasted trailers and trucks that worked on the oil rigs etc and also did the tanks that the oil was held in prior to transport from the field rig to the refinery. This was all in Northern Alberta and Saskatchewan. Some in Southern Saskatchewan too. That was tricky work as you had to have a certain grade of blast depending on what the tank was used for. National Association of Corrosion Engingeers or NAC grading. Then you had to mix up mostly 3 part toxic paint. I would a air bottle and fill face mask while doing that. Other 2 part paint mixed I could just use a mask like what spray painters use and I now use for blasting and painting. The glass bead breaks up and gets finer and finer and soon turns to dust. When I blast and I can no longer see what I am blasting after a minute or so it is time to change the glass bead out for new. I find the Glass does a great job but some castings heat up and then an air bubble is created and I have to press that back down. I have shown many pictures of this over the years.
  • Page: