Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sandblasting day

Sandblasting day 1 year, 11 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>Today was sandblasting day.</p>
<p>Here a picture taken this morning. The device on the right is a battery loader.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>

Re: Sandblasting day 1 year, 11 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
<p>And here I managed to take a picture of the same stuff in the very same spot.</p>
<p>Only 2.5 hours later.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>

Re: Sandblasting day 1 year, 11 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
<p>Once a year I do the sandblasting job at my friend's. He has a sandblasting cabinet. I have experience with it over the years, so I know what to do. For those of you who do not have any idea, a sandblaster is a metal compartment, The front can be opened. When closed there is a big glazing in front so you can look inside. Also there are two rubber gloves leading from the front to the inside. Inside is a gun like a paint gun, with a hose attached to a high pressure device and to a compartment with either fine sand or glass (beads?). On the bottom a rack, through which the sprayed sand and old paint goes, to go into a reservoir at the bottom.</p>
<p>I place a wooden empty box on one side in the blaster. The box filled with model parts also goes in.</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by Keesie.

Re: Sandblasting day 1 year, 11 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
<p>With the gloves on I take a part, and 'spray' the paint off. The metal surface then becomes sort of matte, not shiny. (This holds the primer better than any other method). When done I place it in the empty box.</p>
<p>After a while the once emty box is filled with 'cleaned' parts, the filled box is empty.</p>

Re: Sandblasting day 1 year, 11 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
<p>When all is done I place a box at the bottom of the compartment which contains the used sand/old paint. I can then open the lower compartment and out comes the used sand. I do this just in case a small part fell through the holes in the upper rack. In fact I knew a small door fell in, so I found it.</p>
<p>There was a surprise though: I felt the sand did not come out as easy as it should, and I felt with my fingers in the release hole.......to find a model of a Corvette, which I lost in there last year!</p>

Re: Sandblasting day 1 year, 11 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
<p>So, here the results. This will keep me busy this year......</p>
<p>
forensic anthropology income</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
bp gas station near me</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

Re: Sandblasting day 1 year, 11 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Looking forwards to seeing these finished, great way to clean the paint off , i sent one of Sierra1's pedal cars away to a sand blasting company I used to deal with many years ago & he was pleased with the results as it saved him loads of hard work.

Re: Sandblasting day 1 year, 11 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Sounds like Keeie's friend has a front load bead blaster. I have a top load blaster. Hose in on one side and you just dump sand or in my case Glass Bead about 1/1000 of and inch in diameter. It just gets recycled in there until it starts to get too dusty and I cant see what I am blasting. That is when I change it out. About 10 pounds does the trick so a 40 pound bag lasts me about a year.
There are other substances you can use in this blaster like Sand of varying sizes which usually have sharp edges so can eat into your casting if you blast in one area too long. Another is Volcanic material. Usually a type of Lava or even ground up shale. That also can be harsh on soft metals. Then there is Walnut shells and they also can be harsh but not as harsh as sharp rock. it has become more popular over the years and I see it more and more at the Industrial Supply Store I go to, Princess Auto here in Canada.
The blast material will wear out and it will take you longer and longer to remove the paint. That is change time.
Here is my cabinet. It also has gloves to protect your hands and fore arms and has a plexi-glass top to see through and I have replacement clear plastic sheets for the inside of the window. I think I got 4 with the cabinet which I bought way back in 2008. I have one sheet left. Your not blasting the window of course so they do last quite some time before they are too hazy to see through.

Re: Sandblasting day 1 year, 11 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
<p>As usual, Kees is saving money by doing a once a year blast. It is really nice to prime and paint these surfaces and that is one reasong for buying one. Mine only cost me $88.00 or so. Sand or glass bead in my case is about $25.00 per bag. I like to see others work with blasters. Depending on the material it can be a work out or just an easy job of removing the paint. I also use Furniture Stripper on my toys to remove as much paint as possible before the blaster. This helps my glass bead last longer. Great job on your castings there Kees and it will give you many many hours or modeling ahead of you.
</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Sandblasting day 1 year, 11 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
<p>Great explain of yours Jim. The window of my friend's one is real glass, so I don't think that will wear out. We use either fine sand or glass bead, which looks black. Indeed you don't use much, for this lot I guess about 3 liters of bead, by looking at what was in the underneath compartment.</p>
<p>As I like 'statistics', I spent about 2.5 hours for the whole procedure, including in between glas cleaning, a small break and such. There were 134 parts, so each part took a little more than one minute each.</p>

Re: Sandblasting day 1 year, 11 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
I see your using mined glass (black glass) but I can't remember. I think your using Volcanic glass where I am using man made clear or white glass Yours is probably rough on the edges like a broken stone would be. Mine are nice very tiny round glass balls.

Re: Sandblasting day 1 year, 11 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
I used either fine sand or these glass beads. I think using fine sand the surface of the metal is a little bit smoother than with glass. For the procedure it does not matter, nor for the final outcome.

Re: Sandblasting day 1 year, 11 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Each grade of sand or glass will give a different finish. I had a friend back where I used to live and he used glass bead about 1/4" in diameter. I never saw him use the blaster he had but I did see some of his castings. They looked like they still needed a sanding. It did not take a lot of the paint off and he used stripper for the last of it. So he did the opposite of what I do. I paint strip first then blast, he did it the other way around. I guess it worked for him but I liked my smoother castings better.

Re: Sandblasting day 1 year, 11 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Anyone tried soda blasting rather than other abrasives?

Re: Sandblasting day 1 year, 11 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Never heard of soda blasting. What kind of Soda do you use?
  • Page: