Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky 419 Leyland Cement Wagon

Dinky 419 Leyland Cement Wagon 1 year, 10 months ago #1

Senior Boarder
<p>So here is my attempt to restore a Dinky Leyland Comet Cement Wagon. Bought via Ebay Germany. The model must have been repainted several times.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>I already have the smaller Albion Chieftain Concrete Wagon in the works. He will get a bigger brother soon.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>I bored out the rear rivet holding the cargo bed and the reserve tire and dismantled the truck.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Under the green, blue and black is still the original yellow colour.</p>
<p>Now the smaller parts  like the wheel hubs and the front tin plate are bathing in paint stripper. The body parts will be stripped of paint soon.</p>
<p>Replacement decals and tires are already ordered.</p>
<p>Stay tuned.</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 10 months ago by rivera.

Re: Dinky 419 Leyland Cement Wagon 1 year, 10 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
That's a bit thick!!

paint I mean.

Re: Dinky 419 Leyland Cement Wagon 1 year, 10 months ago #3

Good efforts on the Dinky Leyland so far.

Re: Dinky 419 Leyland Cement Wagon 1 year, 10 months ago #4

Senior Boarder
<p>After a night covered in painstripper the paint has come off mostly. Unfortunatly someone has treaded the cab with a file or sandpaper so some of the grille detail is lost.
</p>

Re: Dinky 419 Leyland Cement Wagon 1 year, 10 months ago #5

Senior Boarder
<p>The missus wasn´t home so I tried the caustic soda method. Boy that stuff comes straight out of hell ! Only use outside, wear goggles and gloves and do not inhale the fumes! After a few minutes the remaining paint came off but the castiing showed some disclouration which could be polished out.
I will see if I can rework the grille a little. More to follow!</p>

Re: Dinky 419 Leyland Cement Wagon 1 year, 10 months ago #6

Yes that is the trick. I visit Germany about 6 times a year and buy always a few bottles at Kaufland I even made a youtube video for it

youtu.be/in8f_-Tmito

Re: Dinky 419 Leyland Cement Wagon 1 year, 10 months ago #7

Senior Boarder
Yes I watched that video and my first thought it was a timelapse. But now I know it is real time!
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky 419 Leyland Cement Wagon 1 year, 10 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Both are coming along quite nicely. I see you have found out about Caustic Soda. Can't use it with out permits here in Canada so I bought a Sand Blast machine a number of years ago to take care of all the paint that seems to get left behind on some models when you strip. You will see the results if you look at any of my restoration projects, of which there are many here.
Looking forward to seeing these models finished off and some of the others your planning to restore.

Again, Welcome to PD
The following user(s) said Thank You: rivera

Re: Dinky 419 Leyland Cement Wagon 1 year, 10 months ago #9

Senior Boarder
My recreation of the hood ornament which looks like a sword. I found a good pic of it on the internet.
Made one out of plastic stock. After some coats of primer and paint it will look good hopefully.

Re: Dinky 419 Leyland Cement Wagon 1 year, 10 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
<p>Your replacement chrome piece for the grille is done very well and look the part. See a restoration of mine below.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>This is the front of one I did for myself a while ago. I did not paint the upper part of the cross as most pictures done show it but in further looking into this just now I see that it was in fact painted. I will have to do mine now.</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 10 months ago by Nobleco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Dinky 419 Leyland Cement Wagon 1 year, 9 months ago #11

Senior Boarder
A little update:
Model is in primer now, new tyres and decals arrived from the Netherlands.
I will go for yellow with blue mudguards/fenders as seen at some pics from the original
cement lorry on the internet.

Question to myself: Why do I always choose yellow painted models? Paint coverage is difficult...

Re: Dinky 419 Leyland Cement Wagon 1 year, 9 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Painting yellow is one of the hardest colors to paint. Use White primer as it will help you out a lot. I have to do 3, 4 or even 5 coats to get the yellow just right. It is tedious and it uses a lot of paint. Just go in thin layers and don't over spray as Yellow seems to run more than other paints I use.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Dinky 419 Leyland Cement Wagon 1 year, 9 months ago #13

Senior Boarder
Model is yellow now with 4-5 coats from a rattle can.

Then it was masked off an the blue was sprayed on.

Had to touch up some chipped paint and some overspray due to not so careful masking.

Axles aren´t peened yet, not sure if I will hammer them to shape or make a tool for peening from a bolt head.
I already have a smaller version for the Matchbox axles.

Re: Dinky 419 Leyland Cement Wagon 1 year, 9 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
I would like to see that tool you say you have. I have been looking for one ever since I saw a collector/restorer friend use one in his shop. :His was made from a drill bit and was concave in the center. It was in a hammer drill held by a vise and it worked perfectly to give a domed hammered rivet or axle end that looked exactly like the original. He is a machinist and made it himself. I would love to see yours and how you use it.

Re: Dinky 419 Leyland Cement Wagon 1 year, 9 months ago #15

Senior Boarder
This is my tool for the Matchbox axles, simply a cut off nail with the head drilled in about two millimeters. I would need a nail with a larger head for the Dinky axles.
In case of the Leyland I hammered the axle ends.

I use it in my vintage optician drill press which I rescued from the garbage back in my apprenticeship as an optician back in 1979.

Normally the axle is held with grips to prevent it from turning but I didn´t have a third hand free while taking the picture....

Here you see the result (barely..)

I also have this old pressing tool for optical frames with riveted hinges.
Now I use it for crimped axles, pressing off wheels from rusted axles etc.
There are various inserts for it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, 143Madness
  • Page: