Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 9 months ago #61

Platinum Boarder
With your wreck, it could be the start of a diorama, maybe a wrecking yard or just an old vehicle in the bushes somewhere with a tree or 2 growing out of it. I have one like that too and have been thinking, which usually gets me in trouble and it then takes years to finish like the Dodge Caravan Code 3 conversion camper I did. That took a number of years to get finished.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 9 months ago #62

Platinum Boarder
What do you guys call a dishwasher for putting your pots into then if i.e. washing up liquid is dish soap, am curious.

New Zealand Breeze sounds good to me, I like the natural scents and think that they are a particularly good masker of bad odours.

Also don't want to get this Caustic stuff anywhere near your hands or open flesh anywhere, it stings like hell when you do as I find out the other day!

Yeah flaky stuff usually goes first, and normally most other paint, loose or not depending on the type used I guess, annoyingly not always first time success to be had and like the ecossie in the picture paint is hard baked on and will be a challenge to remove without the use of a beat blaster like your Jim.

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 9 months ago #63

Platinum Boarder
Hand washing dishes the Brits call washing up the dishes. They do call it washing up liquid but we call it dish soap.
A dishwasher is a dishwasher and I don't think I have heard it called anything else.
Caustic is harsh and will burn you bad and will blind you and leave scars. Always keep protection in mind.
Can't use it here as I am not licensed to buy or use it. I use Furniture stripper and most time it works great. If I did not have the blaster I would be using wire brushes either by hand or with the bench drill press. Probably both.
I have never tried dish soap for anything other than washing my toys after Stripper and after blasting. The sunlight is great on grease and when I was building Harley's and British Motorcycles I used it all the time. Works great. Even on your car rims and tires and any other really mess area. I used it in hot water to wash my car all the time back then.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 9 months ago #64

Platinum Boarder
Final shot of the front end with the corrections the Keesie pointed out and a couple more I found while touching up.

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 9 months ago #65

Platinum Boarder
Looks fab now dare I say it.

Nothing like those scrapper's, yup I always wear long gloves, mask etc. and take the appropriate safety precaution's using my long metal wire to hook around shell in order to remove them from the hot Acidic conditions within the soda!

or just drain in all off before putting ones hands anywhere near them, pets included.

I will have to use either the wire brush method with my dremel probably for the base plate clean up steps.

Glad you've got a mentod that works for you Jim, I thought when you said 'sunligh' that you meant actual light from the sun at first, not just a brand lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 9 months ago #66

Platinum Boarder
<p>Jim, yours is ok now, even I am satisfied......</p>
<p>143, that is a lot of scrap you have there. A good start to clean them all. Unbelieveable, knowing how they once looked when new, there must have been some heavy throwing around with some.</p>
<p>We discussed me having a go at one of them. Again, consider sending is more on postage than the actual model is worth. Thanks also for giving me praise, but at a certain stage it will be no good to try anymore. Suppose the result is poor, due to the fact there is not much to begin with. Tricky.......</p>

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 9 months ago #67

Platinum Boarder
looks great & I am looking forwards to seeing 143Madness's restorations

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 9 months ago #68

Platinum Boarder
Madness I am also Canadian so knew exactly what Nobleco meant by Sunlight. Your misunderstanding but a grin on my face. Thanks for the giggles

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 9 months ago #69

Platinum Boarder
We don't have easy access to caustic but some powdered drain cleaners such as "Draino" work similarly
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, 143Madness

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 9 months ago #70

Platinum Boarder
Thanks guys for the comments. Glad you all like it.
143, this is not a hard model to restore. It is very basic actually. The base just pops off as Keesie says and describes in his Ecosse thread on the one he touched up for a customer. The the little pins that hold the top deck in place come out with a set of pliers. The interior unit just pops out. SF has replacement Bench Vises. The window unit is the hardest to remove. I used a flat blade screw driver and gently got it under where the spring is housed. There is a pulling tab that is the divider between the driver's compartment and the Works Shop. That needs a bit of pulling and then an opening will happen at the front of the window you can then use the flat blade screw driver to gently move it out. It takes a bit of coaxing but it does come out. Now you can remove the spring that helps the top ramp day in place when up. The spring put pressure on the end to force it to say in place. After that, strip, prime and paint. Then the hardest part of all, the letters.
Good luck and looking forward to the final results. SF has all the parts the the window unit is expensive so try to repair yours. I used a Ferrero Rocher plastic box but any heavy plastic box will do. Just take your time on that too.

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 9 months ago #71

Platinum Boarder
Nice to know there is help when one needs it!

Jeez.

Now I just need to know where to get the paint from and how to spray and then it will all be a lot easier.

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 9 months ago #72

Platinum Boarder
This is what I used and is a smaller can than the normal spray can. It is Dupli-color which I think you have in Europe. It is called Perfect match and is a Chrysler Color I got at the Auto parts store. About $12.95 plus 12% tax so not cheap but the Truck is worth it in my opinion. I also did a Hot Wheel Corvette in this color.
With the color code on the cap you should be able to reference it in Europe too.

I really like the spray nozzle on this can. The little white parts is where the paint comes out but it turns to any angle which makes painting large objects mush easier as you don't have to turn the can or the model, just turn the nozzle. It stays clean when cleaned too. You just invert the can and spray until clear gas come out. Done.

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 9 months ago #73

Platinum Boarder
Of course this is the dark color for that version. There are two other lighter colors but they are quite similar. Good luck in your hunt for the right paint.

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 9 months ago #74

Platinum Boarder
<p>Jim, I have never seen a can like that before. Although we have Dupli-colour, the print on the can is different to ours, but I don't really refer to that. It is more the nozzle that I have not seen before.</p>

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 9 months ago #75

Platinum Boarder