Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 11 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
Thanks guys, I am looking forward to adding this to my collection. Yes, I may just do the other one too.
Kees is right in that it is not that hard a model to restore, it is just large and takes lots of paint. The window repair is one of the harder parts to do and of course, as Patrick notes, the lettering is a challenge.
I do the letters by hand as I can not find my brayer nor do I have any rubber hose to make one from. At least I can't find any in my garage that is not damaged or so old that it is brittle or they are soaked in oil or brake fluid or something else. I just did them by hand.
It is all most ready for completion. Just have to check on my silver details and add in the painted tail lights on the lower ramp.
No Kees, I will not be filling in the work area nor adding a driver, just like you suspected.
I stay original or at least like to where I can and here I can and I have done it in a different way from most of these carriers. You will see when I am done.

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 11 months ago #17

Platinum Boarder
chaccamacca wrote:

I find it a very interesting resto because i have the same for restoration.How are you going to do the letters 'ECURIE ECOSSE' on the both sides?

I hope that following along with mine and Keesie's restorations you will be able to tackle yours with success.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chaccamacca

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 11 months ago #18

In order to avoid spilling paint on the background around the letters, I would opt for masking these areas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 11 months ago #19

Platinum Boarder
I have a very thin brush and I usually just squeeze paint out the top hole and let it sit on the to of the paint bottle. I also use old milk bottle tops, the plastic kind and you can use water bottle tops too. Just take the excess paint off the brush first on the side of the lid. Then with the brush mostly sideways, just paint the letter tops. If you do put too much on you can take it off right away with a cotton bud (Q-Tips here) soaked in thinners. If it is only a little bit of overpaint, let it dry and use the base color to cover it. It will not show up if you do it carefully and don't go overboard with the paint. Sometime it is two coats to cover, depending on the color used of course and the base color. You will see when I post pictures as this part is done already and I am about ready to assemble. Just have to find the time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 11 months ago #20

Platinum Boarder
You explained your method very well Jim. The letters stand out well enough, and with a steady hand you can succeed without masking off the surrounds. Sometimes I lay a small piece of wood under the brush, on which it rests.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, RoutemasterNL

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 11 months ago #21

Platinum Boarder
Yes, I have done that method too. I found on this model that there was enough of the casting to rest on. One of the advantages of a large model. I have done this on buses with the raised Flashes the older ones have. Also a success but as you said, use a support to steady your hand and brush. Makes it much easier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 11 months ago #22

Platinum Boarder
Time for some up-dates n this project. Here are the top and rear ramps painted

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 11 months ago #23

Platinum Boarder
Lots of shine from the camera's flash.
Now for the body

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 11 months ago #24

Platinum Boarder
I have done some work on the broken window. I cut out the section with the crack as Keesie showed in his repair of this model. I found I had a Ferrero Rocher plastic box left over. I use them for display boxes for certain models. Not the best looking box for display but it does keep the dust off.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 11 months ago #25

Platinum Boarder
Next will be gluing it into the window itself.
I have also done some work on the lettering. I am in final stages and just have a couple touch ups to do. These pictures were of the first and second coats. The touch-ups have been waiting until I had some free time.

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 11 months ago #26

Platinum Boarder
That just leaves the Chassis. I can't take apart the front suspension as I don't want to drill it and then use screws to hold it together. I did the best I could without taking it apart. It will do and work well now to as it was rusty.

Hopefully today I can finish the touch-ups and start putting it back together. I have the vise painted a dark blue and just have some silver details to finish off.

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 11 months ago #27

Platinum Boarder
A before picture snuck in there. I will have to take another shot.

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 11 months ago #28

Platinum Boarder
I think I will give this chassis another go over.

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 11 months ago #29

Platinum Boarder
It is hard to get in there and get the last of the rust off. I don't want to put it in vinegar as it will attack the cast base. If this is all I can get off I guess it will have to stay that way. You won't see it anyway when assembled.

Re: Corgi 1126 Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter Restoration 1 year, 11 months ago #30

Platinum Boarder
You may like to look at the automotive restoration sites for treatments.

In the UK one is Kurust (now from Hammerite) that is applied by brush. It converts rust and leaves a black finish.

I am sure that for everyone here wherever they may be there will be a similar treatment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, 143Madness