Dinky 264 Cadillac RCMP Canadian Police Car
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky 264 Cadillac RCMP Canadian Police Car

Dinky 264 Cadillac RCMP Canadian Police Car 1 year, 12 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>As the title says, Canadian RCMP Police car complete with driver and passenger both in uniform</p>
<p>As Received and not in very good condition.</p>
<p>
</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 12 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky 264 Cadillac RCMP Canadian Police Car 1 year, 12 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
As you can see, it was a wreck. I needed axles and hubs, a roof light and a new window unit. That arrived a couple days ago.
Here it is in pieces.

Re: Dinky 264 Cadillac RCMP Canadian Police Car 1 year, 12 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
I have cleaned up the police men and the interior with hot water and dish soap. Worked well. The body is very scratched as you can see. I did some work on it but it is so deep I just put a number of coats of filler primer on and hoped it would do the trick. It did help some. Now, lets strip and bead blast the body. The base is soaking in vinegar to remove the rust and infact the suspension spring was bent and weak so I removed it and drilled new holes for the larger eyelets I have. You will see that later.

Re: Dinky 264 Cadillac RCMP Canadian Police Car 1 year, 12 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Okay, those came in backwards.

Re: Dinky 264 Cadillac RCMP Canadian Police Car 1 year, 12 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
I did some more blasting and got almost all the paint off. Now you can see the scratches.

Re: Dinky 264 Cadillac RCMP Canadian Police Car 1 year, 12 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Primed a number of times and it helped a bit.

Re: Dinky 264 Cadillac RCMP Canadian Police Car 1 year, 12 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
I then painted the car the blue needed for this job, Azure Blue

I was happy with the paint job but when I painted the doors white, I was not happy at all so back to the start.

I broke my own rule and did not paint the light color first. Here is the right way.

Re: Dinky 264 Cadillac RCMP Canadian Police Car 1 year, 12 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
This came out much better and with some touch-ups looks good now.

Re: Dinky 264 Cadillac RCMP Canadian Police Car 1 year, 12 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
I did some details and then did the white headlights, yellow turn signals in the front bumper and the red tail lights.

Re: Dinky 264 Cadillac RCMP Canadian Police Car 1 year, 12 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
The base plate I did in between the two paint jobs. It was rusty.

You can see the tool, instructions and the grommet I used to re-join the suspension spring, turned upside down, back to the base plate.

Re: Dinky 264 Cadillac RCMP Canadian Police Car 1 year, 12 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Again, the first three photos are out of order. I had to drill larger holes in the base and spring to accommodate the larger grommet.
Now for the finished item

Hope you enjoyed looking.

Re: Dinky 264 Cadillac RCMP Canadian Police Car 1 year, 12 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Those scratches were ugly!

Poor Cadillac.

Re: Dinky 264 Cadillac RCMP Canadian Police Car 1 year, 12 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
You can still see them with the naked eye but on camera it is hard to show them when I take the picture.

Re: Dinky 264 Cadillac RCMP Canadian Police Car 1 year, 12 months ago #14

Quite a job there Jim. But it came out great! The eyelet tool is new for me, I have not seen it before.

Re: Dinky 264 Cadillac RCMP Canadian Police Car 1 year, 12 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Theo. The eyelets came from a crafting store called Michael's here in Canada. I am sure other crafting stores in Europe would also have them. You may recognize them as for being in shoes for shoe laces. They can also be used in leather work for the sides of vests or for lacing parts of jackets etc. They are handy and these are the smallest I have been able to find. Slightly to large for the suspension but they work really well. I just turned the suspension spring steel upside down to make it work again. Others are very thin and I have has to make new spring plates for them. Quite often a tin can will do the job.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL, lark6
  • Page: