Dinky 175 Hilman MInx Saloon Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky 175 Hilman MInx Saloon Restoration

Dinky 175 Hilman MInx Saloon Restoration 1 year, 12 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>Dinky 175 Hillman Minx for a full restoration. This is the later issue not to be confused with the early issue car 154/40f. I have done a few of them but this one came to me repainted and not done very well. It did come with a good box though I got it in 2011 for about $33.00 which I did not mind as it had the box. The 154 does not have windows where the 175 does.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 12 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky 175 Hilman MInx Saloon Restoration 1 year, 12 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
<p>Again, I started to take this apart before I realized I had not taken before pictures. Here it is in pieces now.
The hubs in the first picture are the original color. You can see from the inside of the hub which was not repainted. That is also the original blue for this car. I have chosen a darker grey for this two tone job.</p>
<p>
</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 12 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky 175 Hilman MInx Saloon Restoration 1 year, 12 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Now lets strip it of paint and bead blast it out in my garage.
[/url]

Re: Dinky 175 Hilman MInx Saloon Restoration 1 year, 12 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Pictures are out of order above but you get the idea.
The window unit was painted with silver paint which etched into the edges. There was also a melted section on the left side passenger window and the front window or windshield is all blurry and scratched. I bought a now one some time ago now.

This car is now in primer. Back tomorrow.
[/url]
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky 175 Hilman MInx Saloon Restoration 1 year, 11 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
I did some work on this over the last 3 days and finished it off today.
First the lower color. This I consider the light color so it goes on first.

Re: Dinky 175 Hilman MInx Saloon Restoration 1 year, 11 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Note above that the roof and truck are not painted this grey color.
Now to mask it off and give it the blue upper body. This is called a High Line paint job. there is also a Low Line paint job that comes down to the door line below the handles.

Re: Dinky 175 Hilman MInx Saloon Restoration 1 year, 11 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Now I have taken the masking off and we can see the High Line effect.

Re: Dinky 175 Hilman MInx Saloon Restoration 1 year, 11 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Some details are in order now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lark6

Re: Dinky 175 Hilman MInx Saloon Restoration 1 year, 11 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
And now the finished car.

I have painted this base plate in the Satin Black I have. I think it looks great.
On to the next project, also finished up today. Dinky 264 Cadillac RCMP Patrol Car.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lark6

Re: Dinky 175 Hilman MInx Saloon Restoration 1 year, 11 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
The Minx has all original parts. The tires were in great condition and have the M for Meccano on them. The window unit is a replacement. I polished he axles and have used small domed rivets. there was only minimal touch-up needed to correct a bit of an error in the spraying by the left rear side window. You can see it in the first photo in post #7 above.

Re: Dinky 175 Hilman MInx Saloon Restoration 1 year, 11 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
I forgot to post the pictures of the box that came with this car. It is original and has prices on it. I assume either Canadian or American Dollars.

Re: Dinky 175 Hilman MInx Saloon Restoration 1 year, 11 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
nice!

Notice the light blue paint is not there under the windscreen towards the end.

Re: Dinky 175 Hilman MInx Saloon Restoration 1 year, 11 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Factory

Re: Dinky 175 Hilman MInx Saloon Restoration 1 year, 11 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Thanks guys.
143 , if you let the dry for about and hour or maybe 2 before taking the masking tape off the model it is easier to handle and you won't leave finger prints in the paint. That is when you can see where your mistakes in masking are or where paint has got under the masking tape and onto the first color. If I have a little I can usually get it off right then. I have a couple dental tools that work really well for that. If there is a lot then I can try to take some off but not all will so I do what I can so there are not lumps near the edge of the masking area and fully let it dry and then do touch-ups. Sometimes I mess that up too so strip and re-do is the next step. Like with the Cadillac Police car I just finished.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Dinky 175 Hilman MInx Saloon Restoration 1 year, 11 months ago #15

Another fine resto, looks factory to me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco
  • Page: