Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can this bus post be saved?

Can this bus post be saved? 2 years, 5 months ago #1

Gold Boarder
<p>Most of the Code 3's I've shown here have been sealed using nonremovable fasteners. Recently I decided that I should try to follow the lead of others and use screws or bolts to do this so that my paint work can be reversed in the future by someone who prefers a restoration.</p>
<p>I started by practicing my drill and tap procedures on a relatively expendable diecast, a Corgi Juniors Mercedes-Benz bus from the late 70s-early 80s(?). In the process, my genius self managed to crack the single post that holds the body to the chassis after having tapped it with a 2-56 tap.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>My question to the group is: Can I save this now cracked and off-kilter post with gentle straightening with a pliers, or am I doomed to break it off and go crazy with the JB Weld to fix the chassis to the body?</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by lark6.

Re: Can this bus post be saved? 2 years, 5 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Best to buy some JB weld instant metal, rebuild it with it back to solid and then drill and tap, maybe a slightly smaller hole
The following user(s) said Thank You: lark6

Re: Can this bus post be saved? 2 years, 5 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
<p>Can you not use a plastic tube from a pen? Maybe you can glue this.</p>

Re: Can this bus post be saved? 2 years, 5 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
If you want to take it apart in the future for any reason then screws are the best. I use white metal cast rivets and they can be drilled or broken easy enough to take apart.
I have done what you did and I did what Stuart has suggested. JB Weld, in a syringe dispenser, two part, mix together glue. Works just like metal afterwards. There are other compounds or brands that can to the same. I have a two part soft putty, black inside, grey outside. Chop off a chunk, kneed together until the color is uniform and then push bit by bit into the hole. Dries in hours and is also workable just like metal. I use that also from time to time for repairs.
Good luck!

Re: Can this bus post be saved? 2 years, 5 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Great thing about JB weld is that you can drill and tap just like metal! Sop if you want brace and belts you can make the pillar a bit thicker and stronger than the original metal. Used it on a Landrover 110 V8 hub once and it was great!

Re: Can this bus post be saved? 2 years, 5 months ago #6

My initial thought was to heat the pillar up and try bending it back into shape

Re: Can this bus post be saved? 2 years, 5 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
I would tend to agree with Theo on this. As the post is slightly bent off vertical, it would be a good idea to heat it up and try to make it straight again. You need it about 200F or about 93C. Bent it is small increments. Heat, bend a bit, heat again and bend a bit more etc. They way you lessen the chance of actually breaking it off. If it is very thin, be very careful. Don't bend it too much in one go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lark6, 143Madness

Re: Can this bus post be saved? 2 years, 5 months ago #8

Gold Boarder
<p>Thanks to you all for the kind responses. JB Weld is a product I'm very familiar with, not only for hobby use but general purpose repairs as well.</p>
<p>As for the little bus, I tried heating and bending gently but the post broke anyway. I ground and filed the stub flat, then went after it again with the 2-56 tap and drill, a bit more gently this time. It all worked for the best as I was able to use a slightly longer screw to hold the lot together. Shown here is a 2-56 x 3/8 inch brass screw, but I have zinc, stainless and black oxide fasteners in 1/8, 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch that can come into play.</p>
<p>Thanks again to you all for your advice. Now let's see what I can make of this little bus.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Can this bus post be saved? 2 years, 5 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
I am glad you got it figured out. Sometime a mistake is what we need to make it all right in the end. You have done well. Looking forward to seeing this bus completed.

Re: Can this bus post be saved? 2 years, 5 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Well sorted, nice job.

Re: Can this bus post be saved? 2 years, 5 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
<p>I have a Corgi Juniors Mercedse Benz bus. Blue color with original stickers written SCHOOL BUS.</p>
<p>Lark 6, you can have it if you want it. Maybe we can trade, i like to trade.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Can this bus post be saved? 2 years, 5 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
I have the yellow version much like yours Chacca, but yellow.

Re: Can this bus post be saved? 2 years, 5 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Nice save Lark

Re: Can this bus post be saved? 2 years, 5 months ago #14

Gold Boarder
<p>Let me see how this one turns out, chaccamacca. I don't have a lot in my collection to trade to be honest. I have a few from my childhood that I'm not planning on restoring/code 3 but I'll be glad to show you what I have. One limitation I place on myself to keep my collection from growing too large is not to buy any more diecasts unless they are of a marque that I've owned in 1:1 scale. A recent exception came when I bought that Dinky 190SL I code 3'd. It came in a lot with a Dinky Alfa Romeo coupe and Simca truck. While I've owned and driven a couple of Mercedes I've never owned an Alfa or a Simca, so I'd be glad to find those a new home.</p>

Re: Can this bus post be saved? 2 years, 3 months ago #15

Gold Boarder
<p>Finally I get around to completing this bus.  Here it is in primer and masked for paint. There's also a hint of a future project in the background.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by lark6.
  • Page: