Corgi Electro, Matchbox Scorpions and Hot Wheels Sizzlers?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Corgi Electro, Matchbox Scorpions and Hot Wheels Sizzlers?

Corgi Electro, Matchbox Scorpions and Hot Wheels Sizzlers? 1 year, 5 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>Is there anybody who can help me? I was looking for Corgi Electro cars and i found something about it.</p>
<p>But about i was reading i think that some motors they used are the same for all 3.</p>
<p>Corgi Electro, Matchbox Scorpions and Hot Wheels Sizzlers.</p>
<p>I know that Corgi used 2 different motors.</p>
<p>Corgi Electro cars and Matchbox Scorpions are hard to find but Hot Wheels sizzlers are easy to find.</p>
<p>I have found 3 Corgi Electro cars on ebay but i don't know if the motors are still running. I have found something on youtube about a guy who restores them and that was very helpfull.</p>
<p>So all help is welcome.Maybe there is on this forum somebody who has some experience with these kind of motors.</p>
<p>Thank you.</p>

Re: Corgi Electro, Matchbox Scorpions and Hot Wheels Sizzlers? 1 year, 5 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Keesie has some experience with the pull back motors in Corgi Toys if that is what your revering to. They are not hard to repair from what I understand but there are problems with doing that from what I have heard. Parts are not available either. Good luck in your quest as I don't have any interest in any of these myself but I am sure there are others here who can help. Maybe CCE knows something too as he is an avid Corgi collector.

Re: Corgi Electro, Matchbox Scorpions and Hot Wheels Sizzlers? 1 year, 5 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
<p>Jim, Chacca is not talking about the 'motorized' Corgi's, 1:43.</p>
<p>I do not know anything about the electro cars mentioned by Chacca. They must be of a smaller scale.</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Corgi Electro, Matchbox Scorpions and Hot Wheels Sizzlers? 1 year, 5 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
<p>They are Corgi Electro Cars.</p>
<p>Alfa Romeo Montreal and Ital design Bizzarrini Manta.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
gas stations with e85 fuel near me</p>

Re: Corgi Electro, Matchbox Scorpions and Hot Wheels Sizzlers? 1 year, 5 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
They do look small.
What scale are they???

Re: Corgi Electro, Matchbox Scorpions and Hot Wheels Sizzlers? 1 year, 5 months ago #6

I have not seen them before, so I can't help you out
The following user(s) said Thank You: chaccamacca

Re: Corgi Electro, Matchbox Scorpions and Hot Wheels Sizzlers? 1 year, 5 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
<p>Nobleco, i don't know the scale but they are as big as the Corgi Rockets.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
ibc bank oklahoma city locations</p>
<p>The green one is the Corgi Rockets Carabo Bertone and the purple one is the Corgi Electro 400 Bizzarrini Manta.</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 5 months ago by chaccamacca.

Re: Corgi Electro, Matchbox Scorpions and Hot Wheels Sizzlers? 1 year, 5 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
The text below if from Wikipedia and these toys are about 1:64 scale as they were to compete with Matchbox 1-75 toys.

The Husky line, introduced in 1964, was designed to compete in size with the "1-75 series" Matchbox, which were the market leaders in small-scale toy vehicles at the time. Husky cars and trucks were inexpensive and originally sold only at Woolworth's stores at a price which undercut their rival.

The Corgi Rocket range first appeared in October 1969. Mettoy had taken the decision that merely competing against their rivals with high performing low friction models was not enough. To add more "play value" Corgi Rockets had die-cast metal bases that featured a central channel where a separate black nylon chassis, that also held the wheel and axle assembly, would fit. The chassis could be removed using a "Golden Tune Up Key" - a gold coloured metal tool which was supplied with each model that featured a simple key at one end to unlock the chassis from the base of the model, and a tool at the other end to remove the axles from the chassis. As such, the models could be "tuned up" and the axles lubricated using a separately available "Rocketlube" lightweight oil dispenser in the form of a felt tip pen. The "Golden Tune Up Key" supplied with each model was also labeled with the name of the individual model.

Re: Corgi Electro, Matchbox Scorpions and Hot Wheels Sizzlers? 1 year, 5 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
<p>Nobleco, thank you very much. It is nice to know something about these toys. I know that Corgi only has made the Corgi Electro cars for a few years and the Electro cars are not easy to find.</p>

Re: Corgi Electro, Matchbox Scorpions and Hot Wheels Sizzlers? 1 year, 5 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Glad I could be of some help to you on your collection.

Re: Corgi Electro, Matchbox Scorpions and Hot Wheels Sizzlers? 1 year, 5 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
<p>I opened up the two Corgi electro cars. A big mess inside. The motors need some restorework, i hope i can fix it. I found some movies on youtube how to restore these motors.</p>
<p>The bodies needs als some work. Is there anybody who knows how to clean this bodies?</p>
<p>I'm going to repaint them but first i have to clean them. After cleaning, primer and paint.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Corgi Electro, Matchbox Scorpions and Hot Wheels Sizzlers? 1 year, 5 months ago #12

Quite a job. Is the body made of plastic and can the windows be removed?

If it is just plastic, than I would use fine sandpaper, de-grease it and apply the paint

Re: Corgi Electro, Matchbox Scorpions and Hot Wheels Sizzlers? 1 year, 5 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Like Theo says, Degreaser will take off the paint etc. Automotive parts degreaser will have a statement that says "Do Not get on the Paint" That is what you want. Easy-Off Oven cleaner will also remove the paint but not harm plastic or rubber and you can leave the window unit in the car if you can't get it out. Automotive parts degreaser should do the same or they would tell you not to get in on the wiring or water hoses on a car engine. It is called the "Purple Lake" by many plastic car modelers. We had a member here, Hippie, who was an avid plastics builder and he used it all the time to great success. I use one that comes in a purple bottle called "Super Clean"
Avoid contact with aluminum and painted surfaces is says right on the bottle. No web site on the bottle and it says it is not for sale outside the America's. I am sure any of your Automotive shops will sell a similar product. Just m.ake sure it says to keep off the paint. Should work well on these plastic or metal bodies as long as they are not aluminum

Re: Corgi Electro, Matchbox Scorpions and Hot Wheels Sizzlers? 1 year, 5 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
If you can find numbers on those little motors you can find replacement on the internet. They are all over the place from what I can tell.
I just did a google search for " Small Toy Electric Motors and came up with lots of different ones. You need the numbers to make sure they are right. From a few dollars up to about $31.00 from what I see.

Re: Corgi Electro, Matchbox Scorpions and Hot Wheels Sizzlers? 1 year, 5 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder