Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Corgi 233 Heinkel-I Restoration

Corgi 233 Heinkel-I Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #1

Expert Boarder
<p>I picked up a bag lot of miscellaneous plastic stuff in a $7.00 bag lot in one of the thrift stores I like to visit in St Thomas Ontario. The thrift store will remain nameless, because the price of these lots is starting to become annoyingly pricey especially when I am buying for one item and the rest of the stuff is faux-Lego mega blocks.</p>
<p>This organization is suppose to be selling to support charitable causes not to make the excessive millions in profit that the CEO of this company is making from donations of others.</p>
<p>A couple weeks earlier this lot would have cost me $5.00. I guess I did alright for $7.00, but maybe getting a Lesney Superfast or two in the lot might have been a bit of a bonus.</p>

Re: Corgi 233 Heinkel-I Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #2

Expert Boarder
<p>
</p>
<p>I like the creativity of kids when they get toys and later on in it’s life they try something new with it, It was a shame to see such a nice vehicle with many attempts to change the colour. The layers showed orange below the red with green below the orange. I hope I can get the paint off the plastic windshield, since my last attempt using oven-cleaner was a bust.</p>
Last Edit: 2 years ago by gcladd.

Re: Corgi 233 Heinkel-I Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #3

Expert Boarder
<p>
</p>
<p>I removed the body from the chassis and inspection prior to stripping showed then original color as dark blue of the Corgi 233A-4 variation. I will probably do the tail lights in red for this repair rather than the specified orange of this variation. I stripped it down to bare metal and primed the body. Not overly thrilled with the metal fabrication quality of this casting when it was produced back in the 60’s, but I want to take this model back to a state similar to when it was issued new, not to the pristine state of a model. The casting flash around the rear license plate on the Heinkel will not be filed clean. I drilled and tapped the rivet post for a 2-56 stainless steel machine screw. This treaded hole with a short threaded 2-56 rod is convenient for supporting the model in my painting clamp for priming and painting.</p>

Re: Corgi 233 Heinkel-I Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #4

Expert Boarder
<p>
</p>
<p>I was surplus hunting in Stratford Ontario a few weeks back and picked up some small cans of Automotive touch-up lacquer for $1.99. I prefer enamel over lacquer, but the price was right and with proper experimentation to check for paint compatibility and crazing they work nice. I applied two light coats of blue over the primer with a single coat of Testor’s clear lacquer. We are planning a road trip to Stratford (School is on March Break) this week and I will probably get a few more of these colors to use on some other Code 3’s that are in progress</p>
<p>The color is a Chrysler match called Tekno Blue. It’s a little darker than the original blue Corgi used, but the metallic fleck in the color looks really nice. I soaked the windshield in spray on oven-cleaner for about 3 days, again with little success removing the paint.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I carefully used some goof-off to dab away most of the paint with very little crazing of the plastic from the acetone in the goof-off. I Hand polished the entire window with Samoa metal polishing compound for precious metals (extremely fine grit) and a soft cloth which removed all the crazing left by the goof-off and any scratches in the plastic. I used some automotive head-light lens polish I sometimes use to eliminate the headlight lens yellowing on my Honda Civic. Nice clear windows, no paint and I didn’t have to use any Future floor polish.</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Corgi 233 Heinkel-I Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #5

Expert Boarder
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Added the front and rear fender detail with chrome paint and a bit of red on the tail lights. I buffed up the dished wheel rims before screwing the chassis to the body.</p>

Re: Corgi 233 Heinkel-I Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #6

Platinum Boarder
This looks like a great recovery from the grave, diecast grave that is.
Funny the Easy Off Oven cleaner did not work for you. Have you tried Automotive engine degreaser? That may work for you better. I have only had a few windows and interiors that did not come clean but the engine degreaser worked well after the oven cleaner did not get all the paint off. Nice to hear you have that headlite lens polish. My truck has that kind of lens the they are crystal clear. No need for me to get any...yet.
The color looks really good on this little Heinkel

Re: Corgi 233 Heinkel-I Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #7

Expert Boarder
<p>Nicely done restoration of this little bubblecar.</p>
<p>I did one also but used a color i think it suits the car.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Corgi 233 Heinkel-I Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #8

Platinum Boarder
<p>It looks good in Dark or light blue. I did two, one for myself and on for my wife. She loves this little car. Both were Pink like below.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Had the wrong code.</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 1 month ago by Nobleco.

Re: Corgi 233 Heinkel-I Restoration 2 years ago #9

Expert Boarder
Beautiful work, the pink looks awesome on this little model.

What import setting did you use on postimages to get you photos this large in the forum? The one I selected does not import as large as yours, and I would like to reinsert them to bring out the photo details better.

Re: Corgi 233 Heinkel-I Restoration 2 years ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Well my photos above are 1000 x 600 pixles and about 270kb for a fair size. That is what eBay wants for their picture size in the USA so all my pictures go that size now.
The color above is Mauve not pink, here is a pink one I did back in 2011. This picture is 800 x 500 and about 187kb in size.

Re: Corgi 233 Heinkel-I Restoration 2 years ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Below is the picture of the page generated after selecting an image on Postimage.ord. You will see the blue book or page on the far right of the third line from the bottom. That is what I use but I think that original picture size also has something to do with it.
1920 x 1080 and about 317kb

Re: Corgi 233 Heinkel-I Restoration 2 years ago #12

Platinum Boarder
A little experiment. I down sized a current picture from about 940 x 760 to 160 x 131. Lets see if that makes a difference.

Re: Corgi 233 Heinkel-I Restoration 2 years ago #13

Platinum Boarder
There we go. you need larger pictures to start off with to get them large. I posted the above using the same line in postimage, Hotlink for Forums.

Re: Corgi 233 Heinkel-I Restoration 2 years ago #14

Expert Boarder
<p>Thanks for your help. I resized and edited the images in Photo Shop at 1000 x 600 pixels.  Worked great.</p>
<p>That's how I want them to look I will have to watch the size of the photos for the log I am writing that converts a battered  diecast Kenner X-wing issued in 1975 to Poe's black X-wing from the current movies...lot's of plastic modifications to the wing geometry on this one.</p>
  • Page: