Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years, 1 month ago #16

Platinum Boarder
time for an update. After the weather warmed up I was dealing with some flooding in my basement next to my office. It took about 5 days for the leak to stop as it was coming from a build-up of Ice and Snow at one corner of the house. The roof full of snow did not help any and the gutters were frozen solid so they had to thaw. All done now but for a few boards around the basement door I have to re-install.
Anyway, back to the Jeeps. I have done some more work on them last weekend and this. Here is the early 25j Civilian Jeep to date.

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years, 1 month ago #17

Platinum Boarder
Today I gave the underside a second coat of paint and bent a steering wheel post to fit with the steering wheel on at the same time otherwise you can't get it over the bend. I also painted it red.

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years, 1 month ago #18

Platinum Boarder
Now for the 153 Military Jeep. The old bumper was cut off leaving the stubs to glue the new one on to. The end of it is bent a little and I broke one trying to bend it and it was at about 150° F. At least they came with the Jeeps. I then primed and painted the Jeep matt military green or Drag Green as SF calls it.

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years, 1 month ago #19

Platinum Boarder
<p>I have also bent the steering Post for this Jeep and installed the Steering Wheel first. They will be Drab Green for the military and Red for the civilian and are drying now. I also have the hubs done on this in Drab Green and they are Pre-War smooth hubs. The Civilian Jeep has light Blue hubs as did the original. They are also painted and are Post War ridged hubs. Both have pinched axles so the early one is definitely correct and so is the later issue as after the Second WW they were using up old stock and had lots of pinched axles left. Smooth hubs ran out rather quickly from what I have determined.</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 1 month ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years, 1 month ago #20

Platinum Boarder
Couple spelling errors above thus the <p> etc.
I have finished off these two Jeeps but I have found a couple touch up in the Civilian Jeep. It is first. I had a problem with the thickness of the steering wheel post so had to cut it short and glue it into the screen after the screen was installed. Normally this would be Steering post into the screen and then install the screen. It looks good and fills the bill so....

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years, 1 month ago #21

Platinum Boarder
Ooooh, shows up very shiny here. the paint is not really thick either but it looks that way. I see a couple touch-ups I have to do, one on the inside of the screen, an end of a bumper and maybe look at the headlights once more. Otherwise I am happy. It has new tires too.

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years, 1 month ago #22

Platinum Boarder
The military Jeep is also done now complete with decals. The steering wheel was installed the same as the civilian Jeep, the tires are all new.

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years, 1 month ago #23

Platinum Boarder
The decal on the left does not look right so I was going to straighten up some with some warm water but when I got to my bench the decal was gone. I have no idea where it went other than onto my finger and from there who know. I hate that.
Anyway I took the decal from the left off and put it on the right. Almost all the pictures I have seen of these Jeeps have the star only on the left or drivers side. None on the right. So I guess it was meant to be.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years, 1 month ago #24

Platinum Boarder
At least it is straight with the body, I am talking about the clear backing which is hard to see. Bottom left of this last picture of the decal you can see a light mark, that is the clear decal material.
It was easy to see in the above pictures that is why I wanted to fix them. Hmmm.

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years, 1 month ago #25

Platinum Boarder
<p>Nobleco wrote:
straighten up some with some warm water but when I got to my bench the decal was gone. I have no idea where it went other than onto my finger and from there who know. I hate that.
<br /><br />That is why I usually try to avoid the waterslides, they can be very annoying and fiddly.<br /><br />God result though, and the thing with the steering wheels adaptation seems to hold up ok.</p>

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years, 1 month ago #26

Nice pair Jim, they look the part.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years ago #27

Platinum Boarder
<p>Nice touch with the decals, it makes it complete.</p>

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years ago #28

Platinum Boarder
Thanks guys, these were easy to do but for that darn steering wheel. I just don't have anything that is thin enough and bendable to use for them. What I do have is Umbrella stays but they are hardened and do not bend easily. Bend them too much and the snap.

143, I always use decals and if I have to use stickers, most times I make my own decals. The Shell/BP tanker was an exception. If you go back to the Ferrari I did a while ago that has stickers on it for the Ferrari logo and I am going to make decals for replacements as the stickers are junk. The large 20 in white circle does not look good either so I did not even it on. I like the car with out the stickers anyway.

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years ago #29

Platinum Boarder
I also should say that I don't usually handle my models that have decals on them until the next day. Put them on and put them under my lights for over night at least. This is one of the only times I have lost a decal and then could not find it. It is too small and I have carpet everywhere.

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years ago #30

A paperclip will do