Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different

Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years, 1 month ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>The Dinky Willys 25j Jeep is the pre-war Civilian version and has the thinner axles and the smooth hubs with thin treaded tires. The Dinky Whillys 153 Jeep is a post war Military version and has thicker axles and ridged hubs and standard smooth tread tires.</p>
Last Edit: 2 years ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years, 1 month ago #2

Platinum Boarder
<p>Civilian Willys Jeep in three different colors. Pictures courtesy of Jacque DuJardin's Dinky Toys Encyclopedia
Military Willys Jeep, one color with star decals. Note the tires.
</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 1 month ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years, 1 month ago #3

Platinum Boarder
<p>One difference of note is the 'painting mount' in the center of the bottom. It is not there in the Military version. Here is the civilian model first with the raised hole.
And this is the Military version
</p>
<p>Funny but I never noticed the muffler on the base of this toy in the past. Digital has its advantages too.</p>

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years, 1 month ago #4

Platinum Boarder
There are other visible injection points too. Two are at the front of the casting under the hood and the other two are at the rear under the seating area behind the rear axle.
You will also note I have a bumper to replace/repair. There were two reproduction bumpers in with these 2 Jeeps as well as two tin screens.so I am ready to go. I need decals and steering wheels and I have both.

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years, 1 month ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Interesting Jim, This is not really my "thing" but the Atlas version arrived via my nephew.

They label it as Hotchkiss Willys.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years, 1 month ago #6

Thanks for explaining the differences. I have a jeep too by Atlas

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years, 1 month ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Hotchkiss Willys is like saying Impala by Chevrolet. I believe it is a class of the Willys jeep that was used in the early part of WWII and throughout the war.

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years, 1 month ago #8

Platinum Boarder
I found this on Wikipedia.
The Hotchkiss M201 was the standard light transport vehicle used by the French army from shortly after the war until it began retiring them from French service in the 1980s. It started as a World War II Jeep built under license and in many respects was little changed forty years later. In France it is usually simply called “La Jeep”.

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years, 1 month ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Bumpers on a Willy's are always fun to replace!

Worked on one in a different scale last year, drilled and replaced the entire bumper section only to drop it on the concrete floor and have to fix strip and paint it all over again. LOL

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years, 1 month ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Ya, I know what you mean. I dropped a good Mersey Tunnel Land Rover and broke off one end of the front bumper. Had to replace that.
What I do, If the ends are broken off and the posts are still intact is just cut off the old bumper as close to the bumper as I can and then glue another replacement on. You can use cast parts that are available or you can use a wooden match stick. Just sand it nice and smooth first. Once painted you can't tell it is made of wood. You can even file or sand it down to the right thickness.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years, 1 month ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Yes, your method would make the whole process a lot quicker, I too have thought about just gluing them on for future bumper projects being as they break quite easily being a separate piece of ajoined metal from the main casting.

Not tried wood as a replacement yet, recently picked up a half finished dinky with one of the supports being a cocktail stick of some sort though.

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years, 1 month ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Yes, some will use what ever they have at hand to do a repair. I have a number of old broken models and with the Box that Cam gave me I have even more bits and pieces to use if needed. I don't get many Dinky that have missing parts aside from the bumpers. I have an RCMP Ford Fairlane that has a broken front left top and right side for the front window supports. That will be a bit tricky to get right so the window fits properly. It is also missing the roof light, antenna (both of which I have spares for) and also the RCMP passenger is gone. You can't get replacements for them as far as I know.

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years, 1 month ago #13

Platinum Boarder
<p>Update time. Here is how I dug it out of the Box that Cam gave me.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>I have cleaned the paint off both Jeeps and blasted them both. They are ready for primer tomorrow and maybe paint. Just depends on how the day shapes up. As I have said before some paints just don't want to come off with paint stripper. Blaster does that for me.
</p>

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years, 1 month ago #14

Platinum Boarder
<p>That was the red civilian Jeep. Now for the Military Jeep as received.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Stripping of paint then the bead blaster does the rest.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Dinky Willys Jeep 25J and 153 The same but different 2 years, 1 month ago #15

Platinum Boarder
<p>You can see the difference in the hubs. The newer Civilian model has the ridged hubs and the older military model has the smooth pre war hubs. These were made both civilian and military as 25j and 153. 153 came about when the numbering system was changed in 1954 so this will date the models by the hubs on them. You can see the one smooth early hub on the military Jeep above is broken. The unpainted hub is a repro but I don't know from where. It was also in the Box that Cam gave me.</p>