Dinky 250 Streamlined Fire Engine Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky 250 Streamlined Fire Engine Restoration

Dinky 250 Streamlined Fire Engine Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>Here we go with another model from Cam's Box of goodies. It came to me in a plastic baggie and all was there. Here is how I received it.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>

Re: Dinky 250 Streamlined Fire Engine Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #2

Platinum Boarder
It came as you see it and it had a ladder and bell with it, both brand new.

Pretty rusty base too and it will be painted Satin Black.

Re: Dinky 250 Streamlined Fire Engine Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #3

Platinum Boarder
I use my vise grips to flatten the ends of the pinched axles. I try to pick the smaller thinner one. That is usually the one that was done by a worker in the Factory so a little easier to pinch.

And the inside after paint stripping.

And after bead blasting.

Re: Dinky 250 Streamlined Fire Engine Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Above you can see the single tab at the front, just behind the front wheels there are two more, one on either side and there are 2 at the rear also on either side. These are what the base plate sits on and the axles hold it in place as they go through holes in the sides of the base plate.
A little re-cap on the base. First as received, rusty.

Then I put it into Vinegar to remove the paint and then polish it on my bench drill with a brass cone brush.

Then some paint.

Re: Dinky 250 Streamlined Fire Engine Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #5

Platinum Boarder
<p>Back to the body.
After the paint stripper, which sometimes does not do a very good job. Then off to the bead blaster.
</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 1 month ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky 250 Streamlined Fire Engine Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #6

Platinum Boarder
<p>I am trying out a new dark grey sand-able primer. Seems to work quite well.
And the ladder
</p>

Re: Dinky 250 Streamlined Fire Engine Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Note how difficult the paint on the inside of a dinky toy is to get off even after paint stripping process carried out.

Like you says the baseplate is held on by the axles, not riveted on early dinkies such as this.

Re: Dinky 250 Streamlined Fire Engine Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #8

Platinum Boarder
<p>Now for some Deep Red Paint.
</p>

Re: Dinky 250 Streamlined Fire Engine Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #9

Platinum Boarder
<p>143Madness wrote:
Note how difficult the paint on the inside of a dinky toy is to get off even after paint stripping process carried out. Like you says the baseplate is held on by the axles, not riveted on early dinkies such as this.
</p>
<p>Yes and that is why I use my bead blaster. Only takes about 10 minutes or less to clean the casting inside and out. That is a lot faster than trying to scrub it out with a wire brush or brillo pad. Faster than soaking in paint thinners too. You can also use auto parts de-greaser as it will strip paint off too.</p>
<p>There are a lot of Dinky Toys in the early days that has base plates either held in by the axles going overtop of the base as well as through holes in the sides of the base. Rivets were mostly post war but started to show up pre-war in the 1940's I believe.</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Dinky 250 Streamlined Fire Engine Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #10

Platinum Boarder
And the details are done too. I am waiting for the paint to dry so I can assemble it. Probably have to wait until Wednesday as it is almost dinner time and I am off to town shopping tomorrow.

Re: Dinky 250 Streamlined Fire Engine Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #11

you are bringing it back to life Jim!
I did a few of these over the years, but I never painted the ladder. The spare ladders that I buy off Rob are always chrome finished.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 250 Streamlined Fire Engine Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #12

Platinum Boarder
The painted ladder came with the 250 and the Fire Engine can have red or black hubs. Mine will be red.
The ladders I buy are from SF and he supplies Rob. Unless Rob sends them out to be plated they are just very shiny tin plated. Mine are not chromed but they look great without doing anything to them. Also, the bell that SF and Rob have is too small compared to the original.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky 250 Streamlined Fire Engine Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #13

Platinum Boarder
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky 250 Streamlined Fire Engine Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #14

Platinum Boarder
The three pictures (thumbnails) above were places all at the same time, I did not need to do it one by one. Interesting.
Anyway, I have finished up the Fire Engine so time to fill you in.
Details done a second time and the hubs were painted red to match the truck. I am using 19mm smooth black Dinky reproduction tires. I bend the wire for the bell by hand with 2 sets of pliers. It is still wire but works really well.
Again, I am placing 5 pictures all at once. Let see what that looks like compared to the thumbnails above

Re: Dinky 250 Streamlined Fire Engine Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #15

Platinum Boarder
The base is done in Satin black, my new base plate paint. I like it a lot and sticks to the tops of the high points better than gloss ans shows the details with no reflection. Looks better in my view.
Hope you enjoyed the show.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness
  • Page: