Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #16

have not found a spare roof.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FiatRitmo

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #17

Expert Boarder
<p>RoutemasterNL wrote:
have not found a spare roof.
</p>
<p>Thanks Theo, nice of you trying. Any suggestion where I could try? Or whom I could ask? Maybe in the "parts needed" section... I think there's one.</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by FiatRitmo.

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #18

Expert Boarder
So, here's the disassembled model, before cleaning.

image sharing site

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #19

Expert Boarder
And here another question for my expert friends: the rear axle is slightly bent. Am I safe just gently lifting the lip shown in the picture in order to slide the axle out?
I'd then hammer it gently and put it back shape, hopefully.
But if I run the risk of breaking the lip, then I'll just leave it.

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #20

Platinum Boarder
try bending it in the opposite direction from which it is cacked

May be of some help for spares:
www.vintagebritishdiecasts.co.uk/forum/index.php

Failing that axle I have a spare somewhere lol

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #21

Expert Boarder
<p>143Madness wrote:
try bending it in the opposite direction from which it is cacked
Hi 143Madness! Don't get your advice. Bend what? the axle? Cacked? Meaning? Sorry, a bit confused...</p>

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #22

Platinum Boarder
If you can warm the chassis up under a light or lamp you will soften the plastic so it should now break on you. Should be nice a warm to the touch first but don't let it get hot. Light bulb about a foot away from the base and then check it every 10 minutes or so. The axle should slide out easily if the only thing holding it in is the suspension.
Not sure what 1:43 is referring to.
For your plastic parts, use easy off oven cleaner from a pump spray bottle. Not expensive and you will find it invaluable after you have used it a few time. My bottle is probably 5 years old now and still works wonders on plastic and rubber. If you have scratches (light ones) in the window unit Future clear floor wax will take car of that. I referred to it earlier in this thread,
Your window unit looks like it is missing something. Maybe it had a canvas top that came out of the top? It looks like a hard top cover.
Here is a video off You Tube fast forward to about 1:35 to see the top open. It is kind of boring and the music is worse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FiatRitmo

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #23

Expert Boarder
Thanks for the info. And thanks for the plastic cleaning... I already saw your previous post on it.
But soapy water and a bit of toothpaste was enough. I'm not going for perfection.
No, I don't think the window unit is missing anything. When assembled my camper looks the same as the one in the awfully boring video.
Still hoping to find a roof! Still haven't got my M2 screws: I'm waiting on Amazon to deliver them... can't wait.

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #24

Platinum Boarder
With regards the roof have a look at plastic lids on things you find in the supermarket , you way find somethig that suits it for until you get an original which may prove difficult as this was always the first thing to get broken off these models.

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #25

Expert Boarder
HMMM, will look around.
But I don't get it. So many parts are 3D printed, so many are sold. I am looking for 3 parts in total... and none of them is sold?
The other two are a field car plastic roof and a Foden cement mixer... but they appear nowhere...

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #26

Platinum Boarder
There are a lot of Dinky parts that are not reproduced and the list is probably as long as the list of parts that ARE being made.
Have you tried Raven Rose or Passion Popular on eBay? Raven rose is in the USA but Passion Popular is in France. That is besides Steve Flowers and Rob of Model Car Parts. Steve makes more parts than most but there are French sellers who make other parts, mostly French Dinky, that Steve does not make. Rob gets most of his parts, decal and tires from Steve too. There are other small makes of parts and some are in Australia like Recover Toy. Do some internet searches and also eBay world wide searches. It may take some time but I have found a few hard to find parts from time to time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FiatRitmo, 143Madness

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #27

Expert Boarder
Searched on ebay for users Raven rose and Passion Popular... no such users... could you give me their exact user names?
I wrote to model-supplies.co.uk twice, with a "shopping list" but to no avail...
Just browsed in the last weeks model car parts and recover toy... a lot of parts, but no Dormobile roof, no Field Car roof no Foden cement mixer

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #28

Platinum Boarder
Steve Flowers will not answer emails. I have dealt with him for over 12 years now and it is seldom that I get an answer. If you sent him a list and did not send payment or payment method he will not be bothered with it as he has too much work. He makes a lot of his parts when ordered and only stock the most salable items at his shop. He has a complete casting facility elsewhere in Leicester. If you want to order from him, send the list and add in your Credit card number. In a seperate email send him the date code and in another send the code number from the back of your card. Either that or you have to figure your postage rate and send that in with the order BUT if it is not enough, he will short your order the difference at his choice. He can be hard to deal with and with at least 5 employees he is busy 5 days a week from 9am to 5 pm but for Fridays he is there until 3 pm and takes weekends off. I have been to see him and it is quite a full shop. He does his casting and plastics in another facility in town somewhere.
Raven Rose is here.
www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sofindtype=0&am..._ipg=50&_fosrp=1

Here is ADMC_code3 on the same site.

www.ebay.fr/itm/Dinky-Toys-8-Wheel-Hubs-...wZbVcGFKQ:rk:13:pf:0

Some have stores others just advertise what they have. Take a look at the lists and maybe you can find a seller who has what your looking for. I did a search for eBay France on Google and then did a search for Dinky Toy Tires on the site. Came up with lots of stuff.
Good luck. Jim

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #29

Platinum Boarder
Browse Raven Rose's site on the left of the screen and you will see diecast and toy Vehicles in her list. You can also message her. She used to buy parts off of me years and years ago before starting her own store. She has sold stuff I can't get so send her a list.
Cheers,

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #30

Platinum Boarder