Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast

Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #1

Expert Boarder
<p>Lovely, much loved and in need of TLC and... a ROOF!!!!</p>

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #2

Expert Boarder

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #3

Expert Boarder
It was one of my favourite toys. And always had it without roof. Must have been a played-with gift from a cousin or an older friend.
It needs a lot of TLC.
1) the base needs a clean
2) the windows need a clean
3) the interior needs a clean
4) the base is a bit wobbly
4) don't think I will respray it. Do not have an airbrush. Unless there is a can out there with the same orange.

And now my questions for you guys...
1) I need the roof. Searched everywhere on the net but to no avail. Could someone please help?
2) the rivets seem very small. I'm afraid there's not enough material in the posts to tap a screw. Any experience?

Thanks a lot for suggestions and help!

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #4

Another nice project!
In my opinion you need to take the VW apart

The base can be cleaned with a cotton bud soaked in vinegar, Make sure you don't touch the plastic parts. The next stage would be polishing it with a soft metal brush to make it shine again.
You can clean the windows with lukewarm water and liquid dishwasher soap first. Then it can be polished using toothpaste, ordinary toothpaste will do, no need for fresh mint or flavored
Interior: liquid dishwasher soap and water
Remove the rivets starting with a 1.5mm drill, then a 2mm drill. I think 2.5mm is perhaps to wide. Drill about 3mm deep into the rivets. Then try removing the rivet head with a 6mm drill, see what fits. And remove the base. After that, you can determine how deep and wide the new hole for the rivets has to be.

Good Luck.

I shall browse my spare to see if I have a roof laying about.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, FiatRitmo, 143Madness

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Being a 1970 production model most of the suppliers do not have the window unit. It might be a complete unit and the roof is broken out of it. It has front and side windows so I would think the roof window is part of that.
As to taking it apart. Richard K (who has not been around for a while) prys off the base over the rivet heads. What I have done in the past is use a drill the same outside diameter (or slightly larger) and drill the rivet to the point it is almost gone. Leave a thin part for re assembly. Use a small flat screw driver and pry off the base over the rivets. They will bend upward. You can press them in a bit more after prying so they will go through the hole easier later. Apply a bit of super glue to the under side of the rivet and then push the base back over them. I use a small flat drift punch and flatten out the left over rivet head and then paint it to match the body color like most Matchbox have. You can also paint it silver to match the base.

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
For cleaning your base, Theo is correct with a wire brush. Soft Brass is best. You can buy them at your local hardware store and I use a cone shaped one. Vinegar it will not hurt the plastic or rubber parts or you could not use it like I do. Most of my tin base plates go in vinegar for at least 24 hours to remove the paint and mostly the rust. Easy Off Oven Cleaner does a great job on plastic and rubber to remove paint etc.
For your windows like Theo says, you can polish them with tooth paste or you can use a good cut polish for paint like Turtle wax has. clean them with warm or hot water (not so hot you burn yourself) and soap afterwards. I use a grease fighting dish soap like Sunlight or Dawn. If they are covered in paint or crayon or felt pen you can use Easy Off Oven Cleaner on them. Soak for 15 or 20 minutes and keep the piece wet. Clean up by washing as above. After drying I use Clear non yellowing Future Floor Wax. I use alligator clips on my second set of hands to hang it from after dipping in the wax, hold the window unit with the clip when dipping. Let it drip off a corner. You can also dab that corner with a kitchen paper towel or soft cloth to remove the excess. When it looks good, set it aside to dry over night. You will have a nice clean shiny window.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FiatRitmo, 143Madness

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
As parts are not available for this Bus you will probably have to make something up for your roof window. Kees did something similar in the Corgi Ecurie Ecosse thread. Here is the link.
www.planetdiecast.com/index.php?option=c...7042&Itemid=2455

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #8

Expert Boarder
Guys, so nice of you giving your suggestions. When pros speak, you better listen.
I'm feeling confident I can do this.
I'm eager to start and I'll open the VW. If Theo can source the roof the better, but she's been around like that for too much time.

Let's start TLC!!!

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #9

Expert Boarder
WOW!! SUCCESS!!
Some light drilling and some light prying and the base came off.
The window is perfect and the interior as well.
Cleaned them with lukewarm soapy water. Off for drying near the heater.
And the base is in vinegar for a while.

One big question on drilling and tapping: I'm eagerly waiting for M2 screws ordered from Amazon (couldn't find them in hardware stores and there are no more model shops in town). I will have to tap it with the M2 tap I already got but... the pilot hole has to be drilled with a 1.5 or a 2 mm?

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Got to love Google for answers.
The actual diameter of an M3 screw is usually about 2.9mm, an M2.5 screw is 2.4mm and an M2 is 1.9mm.
This might help too.
Thread Diameter
Size Decimal Nearest Fractional
#1 0.07" 5/64"
#2 0.08" 3/32"
#3 0.09" 7/64"

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #11

jim is right. for a m3 screw I drill 2.5mm
for a 2mm screw I drill 1.5mm

but try it on a piece of obsolete metal first and not on the car
I use these:

The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #12

Expert Boarder
OK. I got the M2 simply because in almost all videos I watched on YouTube (Marty's Matchbox Makeovers is just one) they suggest using those.

So, diametre of drill 1.5 mm is good. And thanks Theo for the suggestion of first trying on an old piece of metal.

Other question is: what depth? Are a few mm enough? I don't have a drill press (in Italian we call column drill = trapano a colonna) and are afraid of going too deep and being misaligned...

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
<p>Hard to miss align when it is so small a hole. Center it and I only go in about 3/16" to 1/4" so about 6 or 7mm deep. I use cast rivets I get from my supplier and just glue them it. I have some screws and taps but only use them on models that need them like James Bond cars and thecar from Man from UNCLE&gt;</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
When you drill too far!

My 2017 cock up lol

forensic anthropologist education and training

Re: Matchbox 23E Volkswagen Camper Dormobile 1970 Superfast 2 years, 2 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
I too have had a few accidents when drilling. Most times you can fix it and never notice it again. That is until someone else strips it years from now. LOL
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness