Corgi Juniors Whizzwheels VW 1300 Police: repair / resto
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Corgi Juniors Whizzwheels VW 1300 Police: repair / resto

Corgi Juniors Whizzwheels VW 1300 Police: repair / resto 2 years, 2 months ago #1

Expert Boarder
<p>Hello!</p>
<p>Next thing I'd like to do...</p>

Re: Corgi Juniors Whizzwheels VW 1300 Police: repair / resto 2 years, 2 months ago #2

Expert Boarder
The problems are 2:
1) right hand POLICE sticker is missing
2) the beacon fell inside the car when I was still a kid

To fix the beacon I need to open the car.
Look where the rivets should be: there is just a faint thing, not the usual mushroom.
Can I use a tool with the Dremel or should I go with the drill?

Re: Corgi Juniors Whizzwheels VW 1300 Police: repair / resto 2 years, 2 months ago #3

Expert Boarder
I already polished the base... my first attempt... it was horrible, but, stupid me, I didn't take a photo before the treatment...

Re: Corgi Juniors Whizzwheels VW 1300 Police: repair / resto 2 years, 2 months ago #4

Expert Boarder
So, other question is: where can I get the stickers? I don't think I will paint the car. I like it has the patina... but would like to clean it, and the remaining sticker would be ruined.

Other question I have: I would love detailing it a bit. Red tail lights and some chrome... but tis would already make it a CODE 3, right? It would be nicer, but one day less valuable... or am I wrong?

Re: Corgi Juniors Whizzwheels VW 1300 Police: repair / resto 2 years, 2 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
<p>Hi Fiatritmo, if you change any part of a model car it takes it's originality away , it is up to you how you want to go with a restoration, I have done code 3's before but prefer to put a model back to how it left the toy factory as too much detail which was not there in the first place can over power the finished model. With regards cleaning this model you don't need to soak it in water , a sympathetic clean with a damp piece of kitchen roll would do the job , the decal could be easily printed on your computer and stuck on using a "Pritstick". with your picture posting , if you are using Postimage , click on Hotlinks to forum before you copy and a full size picture will appear for us to see. Regarding value a model is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, so go for which ever option you chose to do this model , it's yours, good luck</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by Andy66.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FiatRitmo

Re: Corgi Juniors Whizzwheels VW 1300 Police: repair / resto 2 years, 2 months ago #6

Expert Boarder
Trying the hotlinks to forum...

Re: Corgi Juniors Whizzwheels VW 1300 Police: repair / resto 2 years, 2 months ago #7

Expert Boarder
<p>WOW Andy66... that's much better. And thanks for the advice. You are right, no need to soak it in water. But Will have to open it anyway...</p>
<p>Suggestions on removing the rivets?</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by FiatRitmo.

Re: Corgi Juniors Whizzwheels VW 1300 Police: repair / resto 2 years, 2 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
2mm drill bit with hardened steel would do.

Re: Corgi Juniors Whizzwheels VW 1300 Police: repair / resto 2 years, 2 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Have you tried to pry the base off the rivets. Does not look like it would take much to just pop the base off of them. You can then dress them for drilling and it would be safer than trying to do it with the base on unless you use a very small pilot drill bit first to center your hole.

Re: Corgi Juniors Whizzwheels VW 1300 Police: repair / resto 2 years, 2 months ago #10

Expert Boarder
AND... NASTY SURPRISE!!!
No space for drilling... I just removed the burr, pried open and now I see there's not enough material for drilling a hole and putting a screw...
Will post photo in a few minutes...

Re: Corgi Juniors Whizzwheels VW 1300 Police: repair / resto 2 years, 2 months ago #11

Expert Boarder
And here are the posts... two small rectangles... front is 32 x 16 mm and rear is 30 x 19 mm
Definitely not enough for drilling...

Re: Corgi Juniors Whizzwheels VW 1300 Police: repair / resto 2 years, 2 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Looks like you will be gluing the base on. What you can do is make up a fake rivet head to glue over top of the old posts. Trim them off so they are flush with the base and then glue a rivet head on top. Glue the base to the body at the old bosses. Should hold it nice and tight.

Re: Corgi Juniors Whizzwheels VW 1300 Police: repair / resto 2 years, 2 months ago #13

Expert Boarder
I finally put the beacon in place: after almost 40 years the police car has its blue light back in place.
I fixed it to the roof and windows assembly using a tiny bit of acrilic silicon.
The old posts are level with the base now.
So now I have to take a rivet, cut the stem off and glue it on the base while it makes contact with the posts... what glue should I use? A bi-component epoxy?

Re: Corgi Juniors Whizzwheels VW 1300 Police: repair / resto 2 years, 2 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Super Glue works fine
The following user(s) said Thank You: FiatRitmo

Re: Corgi Juniors Whizzwheels VW 1300 Police: repair / resto 2 years, 2 months ago #15

Expert Boarder
OK... thanks a lot!!! Just need to find a rivet... I just begun with restos, and my toolbox is still pretty empty.
  • Page: