Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Some projects on the bench

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 2 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
Looking good so far.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 2 months ago #17

Platinum Boarder
Those tankers look like Shell/BP colors like the one I am doing only mine has the plastic tank. These two will look great when done.
Yes, there is a lot of masking for the cab on this Leyland. I know as I just did it myself. Now I have some touch ups to do. Looking forward to seeing your two finished off.
The taxi decal looks great in red like that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 2 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
I always wonder what clear coating decals will turn out like, probably did not want to try this in case it ruins the decal as I have not tried that before.

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 2 months ago #19

Platinum Boarder
I don't normally clear coat my decals but have when customers in the past asked me to.They were going to be played with by grandchildren and they wanted them to last a while.
Not hard to do but go lightly with the clear and try not to do more than the decal. For the side of a tank or the top of the Taxi above I would take an up and down or side to side pass with the clear coat. Not along from front to back as you may haze the paint and it won't be shinny. That is why most people with clear the whole model.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 2 months ago #20

The main problem is that you don't know what lacquer was used by the maker of the decals. That is why I tested the it with the taxi sheet word first. Acrylic it is.
The word came from this set of decals

The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 2 months ago #21

Platinum Boarder
You can also cut some of the decal paper off but most times there is no coating on the paper itself. It is only on the decals so you may need to waste a few. I have used Acryl clear for outdoor furniture and it worked great. I have Acrylic clear too and both work on my home made decals well. Decals are usually covered by some sort of clear so manufacturer might be a concern too. As I said, I don't clear my bought decals as they come coated but my own home made decals I have to coat as they are made on an ink jet printer and the ink would run, being water based.

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 1 month ago #22

Some progress

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 1 month ago #23

As you can see, I painted the complet truck with grey primer. Then I clearcoated the truck. Masking underway for a white cab

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 1 month ago #24

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 1 month ago #25

Platinum Boarder
Coming along nicely. Different grey from mine. I have used grey primer for a paint color and also clear coat it. Mostly for Corgi Base plates. Yellow/Orange is next if your going original.

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 1 month ago #26

thank Jim, yellow applied

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 1 month ago #27

and the details on the cab

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 1 month ago #28

Platinum Boarder
This looks good and they really look like disassembled original toys. That is what we strive for. Great job. Looking forward to seeing them both assembled.

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 1 month ago #29

Thanks Jim, this time I shall madke some alterations: the will be red and the decals are placed on the rear of the tank

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 1 month ago #30

Platinum Boarder
You have the metal tanks so these models will look better than my Shell/BP version with Plastic tank. I also have the 945 AEC Esso Tanker to do. I just found it in the bottom of the box from Cam and it has the cast in Grille I have been trying to copy from your pictures. Now that I actually have one myself it should not be that hard to make a decal from
Thanks for sending me the pictures and believe me, I have tired to get them done but they just don't seem to come out the way I want. I shall see if having my own will make any difference in that.