Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Some projects on the bench

Some projects on the bench 2 years, 2 months ago #1

<p>Finally thing are falling into place and I have so time to do some restos or conversions.</p>
<p>On my "bench" are 4 Atlas Dinky Toys, to be converted into Parisian taxis. And there is an original Dinky Jensen for my own colelction.<span style="font-size: 12.16px;">.</span></p>
<p> </p>
<p><span style="font-size: 12.16px;">The paint on the Atlas/De Agostini replicas is that strong that it took 10 days in a thinner bath to make the paint soft so I could remove the paint with a copper wire brush. That was a first for me, because the paint normally used by Atlas was quicker to remove. The model are waiting for their first coat of primer, that will happen over the coming weekend</span></p>
<p>
afbeeldignen</p>
<p> </p>
<p>more to follow</p>
<p> </p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 2 months ago #2

This is how they looked

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 2 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
So these models were new?! Someone once asked me to do the same: he came up with four new models and I had to repaint them. The came out ok, but I keep having strange feelings when the models are new to start with.....
So you will do them for a taxi-fanatic, right?

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 2 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
I don't think I have ever done a new model for a customer. I have done a few Hot Wheels for myself years ago just to see what they look like under the paint and in a new stock color rather than the fancy ones that Hot Wheels likes to use.

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 2 months ago #5

yes Kees brand new and boxed. I have done about 450 of these Atlas ones for the customer

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 2 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
450? or 45. Typo or you have really been swamped with orders.

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 2 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Hmm, that is what I thought Jim! I think Atlas did not do 450 models yet, but on the other hand, Theo started restoring when he was eight years old......

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 2 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Pfff 450 is that all ? That would take Theo a week.

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 2 months ago #9

Sorry guys. 450 is correct: Four hundred and fifty or vierhonderdvijftig models is the number.
Of course there are several models such as the Citroën DS (the green one) which I have done about 50 pieces or so.

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 2 months ago #10

Yellow and black

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 2 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Great work Routemaster
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 2 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Coming along and they all look nice and shiny. Nice to see as your in winter and if no heat..... Is this inside on the window sill. Looks like your back yard bricks if I remember right.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 2 months ago #13

yes Jim it is in the "second" kitchen and the window sill. You remember it correctly

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 2 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
I though so, my mind is not gone yet. LOL

Re: Some projects on the bench 2 years, 2 months ago #15

Time for an update. I have also 2 tankers. The color scheme of the tank is yellow and white, the truck itself is grey, yellow and white. This means a lot of masking especially on the truck. This is the progress so far

image hosting

The weather will be fine today, so I can do some work on it.
Another aspect of restoring is the placement of the decals. Up so far, I never coated the decals. But now I did some testing on a decal and clear coated it with acrylic lacquer

free photo hosting