Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 2 months ago #46

Looks soooo familiar...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, Andy66

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 2 months ago #47

Platinum Boarder
Looking great so far, I thought who's are all these posts as you have changed your picture!

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 2 months ago #48

Platinum Boarder
Yes it does Theo.
Andy, I change up every now and again just to keep you all guessing.

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #49

Platinum Boarder
I am on Old Cowboy now. LOL

Here we go with the Leyland again. I have masked it off and then used a baggie to cover the cab. Easier and cheaper than using masking tape. You could use a small paper bag or some wrapping paper too.

A look at the inside. It is still masked off too.

It was then off to the paint shop for a couple coats of medium Grey that hopefully will work with the grey plastic hubs I have on order.

Kind of hard holding it for this last picture. I will strip the masking tape off in a couple hours. It was just painted half an hour ago.

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #50

Platinum Boarder
<p>Nobleco wrote:
I am on Old Cowboy now. LOL
</p>
<p><br /><br />thought that was a picture of you Jim </p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 1 month ago by 143Madness.

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #51

Platinum Boarder
Nope not yet anyway.
I have taken the masking tape off the truck so here it is with a nice grey paint job. Just a bit of touching up to do at the back of the cab.

Below you can see the inside of the cab is still white. Just as it should be. You can also see the inside of the front fenders are Yellow/Orange so they match the rest of the lower half of the cab in the picture above.

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #52

it is looking very good Jim. When I have finished mine, we can compare them
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #53

Platinum Boarder
Sounds good Theo. I am waiting for the Grey plastic wheel hubs to complete this but I can get the details done and assemble the tank and put the Shell/BP Stickers on. Now I have to figure out what project is next.

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #54

Platinum Boarder
Again looking good

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #55

Platinum Boarder
next project is...

a car?
Truck?
van>

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #56

Platinum Boarder
I just started on the Ecurie Ecosse so that will keep me busy for now. Think I have a Streamlined Fire Engine here from Cam too so that may be a quick filler.

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #57

Platinum Boarder
I now have the details done on this tanker.

I will now have to wait a couple weeks for my hubs to come in. I have metal ones but they are not very good castings and one has the center hole drilled off so it wobbles bad. Decided to splurge on a new set of grey plastic one. When they arrive I will finish this off so on to other projects for the mean time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL, 143Madness

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #58

Platinum Boarder
I saw above that there was a bit more work needed painting the grill. I gave it all a second coat of silver. Looks great now.
The hubs arrived sooner than I expected and they arrived on Tuesday. Today I had some free time so spent it on the hubs as there was casting flash left on. Some cutting and filing took care of that but was tedious and took some time. I also had to drill larger holes in the hubs for the 2.5mm Supertoy axles. These hubs come with 2.0mm holes for standard axles. That done I assembled the axles onto the chassis after installing the window unit and the base placed in. The front axle is part of the base plate. The second axle actually holds the base plate in place.
It is all done now and the stickers have been placed. This is the FIRST Dinky Toy to have Stickers.
First the Base so you can see what I was just talking about.

Now the rest of the truck.

I hope you enjoyed the build and who knows, maybe you even learned something new.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lark6

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #59

it looks fantastic. I have finished my projects and shall take pictures of them this weekend

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 1 month ago #60

Platinum Boarder
Great work & it looks Factory.