Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 2 months ago #31

Platinum Boarder
With regards the residue paint left on the model this is how I clean my models after soaking them in Caustic Soda with a soft wire brush wheel attachment on my drill, it is effortless and gets into all the lines of the shell , it also puts the shine back to the metal after the soda has been on it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 2 months ago #32

Andy, is that metal wire brush made of soft wire? I am always afraid for deep scratching on the model. That is why I normally use a nylon wire brush in my drill

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 2 months ago #33

Platinum Boarder
It is made of brass and I have done all my restorations with this same brush for many years now, it is all down to how you let the drill do the work , I find that with out any pressure to the drill it does a great job, I have never had any scratch marks to my models using this method.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 2 months ago #34

Platinum Boarder
With a brass brush you should only get very fine scratches. Good primer will take care of them and even a light sanding helps. Mine are never wire brushed if I can help it. My bead blaster does a really nice job of it. I have used it on this truck as the paint was not original and would just not come off after 3 times through the paint stripper and the bead blaster. Wire brush took care of most of the rest but not all. My brush in on my bench drill press.

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 2 months ago #35

Platinum Boarder
I have been busy with other things of late but still found time for this Leyland Resto. Here are some more pictures of the progress.

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 2 months ago #36

Platinum Boarder
With the white on the top of the cab I can mask off for the Yellow orange that matches the lower half of the tank.

I want the inside of the cab to also be white so I have masked it off so as not to get paint there.

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 2 months ago #37

Platinum Boarder
Here is the rear where I cut off the with but also have to remember the back of the chassis is going to be grey.

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 2 months ago #38

Platinum Boarder
After spraying with the correct color I took most of the masking tape off. I left it on the inside as you can see below.

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 2 months ago #39

Platinum Boarder
<p>Some touch-ups are needed on the Yellow/Orange but it looks good. Masking the cab off is next and pick the grey. You can see it came with the original light grey hubs, replacement dark grey hubs (which I don't like and the holes are off center) and 8 metal replacement hubs which are not the best castings, wrong material for this truck and one has the hole drilled off center too. I am going to order some proper ones in Grey Plastic so will wait to see what I get. I have the grey for the chassis picked out though.</p>
<p>
</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 2 months ago #40

Platinum Boarder
Can't you re-use the original plastic hubs or something?

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 2 months ago #41

Platinum Boarder
4 or 5 of them are broken.

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 2 months ago #42

similar to my project at the moment

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 2 months ago #43

Platinum Boarder
Looking forward to seeing it when you post.

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 2 months ago #44

Platinum Boarder
I now have the touch ups done on the tanker cab.
screen grab
Now I can mask it all off and spray the chassis gray. Have to wait for hubs.

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 2 months ago #45

Platinum Boarder
I have to take my camera in for a cleaning. Those 2 spots on the left side of the front bumper are on one of the lenses. I have tried to dust them off with a proper brush but they won't budge.