Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration

Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 3 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>Now that I have finished up the last 2 trucks I am on to another one from our member Cam. Most of the parts were either in the plastic bag or I found them in other boxes of parts like the hubs. It needs some work and looks as thought it was broken at one time and Cam started to put it back together.</p>
Last Edit: 2 years ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 3 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
<p>I found this in box of toys and parts Cam gave me a couple summers ago. Most was in the bag but I sorted though small boxes and more bags to find some extra hubs as some of the ones with the tanker truck were damaged. Some are miss colored from the originals and are probably reproductions. I also have found some early metal cast hubs which also look reproduction. Probably from SF.
Here it is in pieces. It has a screen but needs cleaning and the plastic tanker needs a bit of sanding and a primer before I can tell if it is paintable.
</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 3 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
<p>Here is the Chassis.
</p>

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 3 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
<p>Note I have a little helper on this job. Here is the tanker.
</p>

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octoput Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 3 months ago #5

nice project. Your grandson helps you out?

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octoput Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 3 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
<p>No Theo, I think Tracey, his wife helps out. She will probably be given the task to hold the parts while Jim is spraying them, so a sort of third hand.</p>
<p>Still, a bit confusing Jim. Is this a task or a gift from Cam?</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by Keesie.

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 3 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
<p>The picture is on an old Kodak picture envelope, the kind you get when you used to have your film developed. Just some kid on the envelope for advertising. The truck, in a very large box full of other toys, mostly in parts and many parts missing, was given to me by Cam a couple summers ago after he sold off his Dinky Collection. Some of us here bought some of his toys, me included. This was his left overs he could not sell or had the time or inclination to restore so he just brought them to me when he came to visit family down in Midway, about 15k south of us. He usually comes for a visit and most times he shows us what he bought on a trip but not that time. I have parts galore and might be catching up to Kees now. LOL, not really. I have been restoring some slowly but surely, like the AEC cab only I just did. I still have many to do.</p>

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 3 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
<p>Here we have the damaged Tank from the Shell BP truck. You can see where Cam (I assume it was Cam) has done some repairs. Seems to be body putty of some sort and hard but it does file and sand. Here is what the bottom half of the tank looks like.
Some filing and sanding produces this.
Now I prime it and we shall see how it looks.</p>

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 3 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
<p>I got logged out during my posting so here we go again. I can save it after I am logged out by the way. Here it is after the primer.
Not too bad. Now on to the top of the tank. You can see where I have applied putty as it is a light grey in color.
</p>

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 3 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
<p>Some more sanding required to smooth out the sides. It is hard to see if not impossible to see the scratchs in the sanding after I applied paint. See the last couple of photos. Here it is after sanding.
Now some paint but scratches show through so more sanding is needed. I have to let the paint dry.
[url=https://postimages.org/]
</p>

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octoput Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 3 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
You need a strong arm to do all of that sanding!!

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 3 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
<p>Yah, in real life I would have a power sander but with this truck it is more like sore fingers than arms. Tiny corners to get into sometimes cramps up my hands.</p>

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octoput Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 3 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Yes, access is not always easily reached, and then I used to wear Polly thane gloves to protect, yet those tear all the time but are useful for the paint strippering process.

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octopus Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 3 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
<p>I don't wear gloves when stripping. My hands are so tough from working as a carpenter that I just don't bother. Gloves I don't like as they put my hands to sleep. I have carpel tunnel syndrome and it affects the nerves in the hand and arm. I only wear gloves to keep my hands warm in the winter and when staining wood as it is much harder to get off your hands. You have to let it wear off. Paint just washes off with water (house paint) and my model paint I just use paint thinners to clean my hands and equipment and then I wash my hands with soap and water. More to get the smell off than anything else.</p>

Re: Dinky 944 Leyland Octoput Shell/BP Tanker Restoration 2 years, 3 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Leather hands im guessing,
One would think the nerve related problem would be difficult, so not to aggravate your condition further cant be much fun.

Never tried using thinners before, but sounds like a good idea if ya caked in paint build up like when I once tipped a rather vibrant shade of orange onto my shorts and leg!!

That's the trouble with the oil based paints.. ,messy and hard to remove.